A&M opening generates interest

CEE DOG

A&M's opening generates interest

Bulldogs AD Martin already has several resumes on his desk

01/11/02

By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com

The search for Alabama A&M's new football coach will be conducted by three people, athletic director Jim Martin said Thursday.

Martin, Richard Davis and Freeman Holifield have been charged with finding a replacement for Ron Cooper, who resigned Wednesday after four seasons. Davis is the chairman of the Athletic Review Committee of the board of trustees. Holifield is a past president of the alumni association.

Martin said the three will be looking for a proven coach with a solid background.

''We want a person with college coaching experience . . . someone that's been a coordinator, assistant head coach or a head coach,'' Martin said. ''We want to see a track record of winning and graduating student-athletes.''

The list of candidates wanting to be A&M's coach had grown rather lengthy by late Thursday. Martin said he had received seven resumes and more than enough phone calls about the job.

Martin heard from Tuskegee athletic director/coach Rick Comegy, A&M running backs coach Stanley Conner, former Howard coach Steve Wilson, South Carolina State assistant Daryl McNeill, former A&M linebacker and current Baylor assistant coach Andrea Haley, Alcorn State offensive coordinator John McKenzie and Morehouse College coach Anthony Jones.

Former Mississippi Valley State coach LaTraia Jones, who was fired in late November, called to inquire about the job Thursday, Martin said.

Martin said he had also talked with Delaware State coach Ben Blacknall, but said Blacknall indicated he might not want to go through a search. Blacknall was A&M's second choice four years ago when Cooper was hired.

Among those on the list, Comegy has been by far the most successful. He reportedly has signed a five-year contract. The contract, however, doesn't contain a buyout clause, which would allow him to leave for another job without having to pay Tuskegee. Comegy was reportedly a candidate at South Carolina State and most recently it had been reported that he turned down the Morgan State job.

Comegy just completed his sixth season at Tuskegee, where he has a 54-16 record. The last four years, the Golden Tigers have posted a 42-6 record, won three SIAC championships, won three of the last four Pioneer Bowls and won the National Black College championship in 2000.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by CEE DOG

01/11/02

By REGGIE BENSON

The search for Alabama A&M's new football coach will be conducted by three people, athletic director Jim Martin said Thursday.

Martin, Richard Davis and <font color=red>Freeman Holifield</font> have been charged with finding a replacement for Ron Cooper,
I know that guy.:D

Re: Re: A&M opening generates interest

Originally posted by Robber

I know that guy.:D

Now I knew Mighty Dog had power, but I didnt know he had that much power.

Latraia Jones? easily the best candidate. he took Dorsey's Valley team and turned them around to a last place team again.

Great choice for AAMU

Originally posted by CEE DOG

01/11/02

By REGGIE BENSON

Martin, Richard Davis and Freeman Holifield have been charged with finding a replacement for Ron Cooper, who resigned Wednesday after four seasons. Davis is the chairman of the Athletic Review Committee of the board of trustees. Holifield is a past president of the alumni association.

I know all three.... It's funny they haven't contact me for expert advice, well at least not yet...

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
Latraia Jones? easily the best candidate. he took Dorsey's Valley team and turned them around to a last place team again.

Great choice for AAMU

I was thinkin the same thing. Why do he think that 0-10 would want him. What has he done, lately?:rolleyes:

Man I would hate to be Freeman Holifield right now, he is going to be getting advice from everyone.....I hope your number is unlisted Freeman...

But look for my suggestions in your PM :D

Color me clueless.........

Originally posted by PLOW DOG
Who is this Freeman Holifield!:confused:

The only Holifield I know of is Evander, and his last name is spelled "Holyfield".

He seems to be in the know......

:confused:

Back