6'7, 270lb 17 year old Beats Teacher

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There are so many things with this. Where were the other adults? What is the school's culture that he felt free to put hands on an adult? Was he on drugs? Was the child special needs? If so, were violent triggers part of his IEP? There had to be some warning signs for this behavior.

There are so many things with this. Where were the other adults? What is the school's culture that he felt free to put hands on an adult? Was he on drugs? Was the child special needs? If so, were violent triggers part of his IEP? There had to be some warning signs for this behavior.

The school's culture? Nah, what is the home culture that he felt free to assault an adult?

A few things to answer some of your questions.

1) Special Needs-in order to find that out-you have to test the kid. To test the kid you need PARENTAL permission and that tends to be a battle with certain folks. So you can have a special needs kid that has NEVER been tested.

2) If you get permission to test. ALL school districts struggle to fill that position. Diagnostician is that job and the MAIN reason it's a hard to fill job in schools is mainly due to PAY. So you can have a kid that is special needs is NEVER tested due to job shortage.

3) There might not be an IEP.

4) Yes you do have schools where kids putting hands on CERTAIN staff is FINE. It's why you are seeing a shortage. Because that kid brings in MONEY that staff does NOT. Along with folks in the community who will SIDE with the kid-because in their minds that aide had no right to take that game from him in class. Never mind the student code of conduct probably says SHE does.

According to the story, he is special needs. That is sad because it is hard enough to get people to work at schools as it is. I'm glad her son wasn't there and tried to defend his mom because the large kid would have harmed him also. This is a bad story, if you work in education God bless you.

No way in hell, could I be a teacher now days.
I'm a teacher. Love being with the kids. Where I teach I'm probably the first black male teacher students have ever had that didn't involve athletics.
There's a lot we don't know here. What happened was not okay by any stretch of the imagination. That said, the primary thing that is wrong with kids is home. Kids were attempting suicide while schools were closed for the pandemic and no one bothered to ask, what's going on at your house that you want to kill yourself b/c you can't get away to school for 8 hours? Cause it wasn't that they missed me as the teacher. School is the safest space a lot of children have. For many it's where they get their meals, find their friends, get mental health counseling and find adults that care about them. Many of them do not how to properly respond to that or how to ask for help. I've seen kids that were being sexual abused at home come to school and lie and say a teacher was doing it, b/c that was the only safe way to get attention & get folks asking questions.
So I don't know what's going on with this young man. Clearly he has issues, but I also know how school systems and police systems will do him. I hope he gets the help he needs b/c this type of behavior regardless of the cause will get him killed.

Back