2024 SWAC Football Attendance - Week 1

Has Tennessee State ever had a fan base. Outside of the SHC which is mostly JSU with local Memphis folks rooting for TSU when have they been a big draw?

Yes, they have but the OVC membership has slowly eroded their fan base. It’s like it’s having a slow death. When the older fans dissipate, IMHO, that situation will look even worse…..totally dismayed that our two other cousins would follow that blue print.

JROCK I been around them most of my life. Outside of SHC I can't remember them having a big following 10,000 but hey Im almost half a hundred.

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
Yes, they have but the OVC membership has slowly eroded their fan base. It’s like it’s having a slow death. When the older fans dissipate, IMHO, that situation will look even worse…..totally dismayed that our two other cousins would follow that blue print.
alot of the old school diehard Tennessee st fans from the 70s 80s 90s early 2000s are deceased or too old to travel now..I dont think some people realize that situation..

JROCK I been around them most of my life. Outside of SHC I can't remember them having a big following 10,000 but hey Im almost half a hundred.

When I was in school and well after, they use to come to BR, showed up in Nashville (Vanderbilt) and a few times against us in Atlanta and Detroit. I’ve been watching BCF for 50 years now, so I can understand if you haven’t seen what I have….yeah I’m over half a hundred and my SWAC dad was taking me to games as a young tyke…lol I even went to to Bayou Classic I in old Tulane Stadium before the SuperDome was open and went to the first game in the building (Grambling and Alcorn, don’t let anyone tell you different). I lol but don’t comment when folks think S.U./JSU Crowds are something new. I do believe though back in the day, in many instances it depended on who you’re playing as well. TNST, FAMU, GRAM, JSU and Alcorn were big games for us and we used to flock to Houston to watch S.U.vs TXSU to party and just because we can…lol (good times and distant memories)

Last edited:
alot of the old school diehard Tennessee st fans from the 70s 80s 90s early 2000s are deceased or too old to travel now..I dont think some people realize that situation..

Yes, I agree and don’t believe the younger generation knows or care about their rich BCF heritage at TNST. It doesn’t help and add insult to injury that desegregation has slowly gutted the type of talent we are getting. When I was in school a college football game was an event and they would clear the dorms and tell us the football 🏈 game is ========> that way LOL (Then you create a fan base out of habit, fellowship and appreciation)

Last edited:
When I was in school and well after, they use to come to BR, showed up in Nashville (Vanderbilt) and a few times against us in Atlanta and Detroit. I’ve been watching BCF for 50 years now, so I can understand if you haven’t seen what I have….yeah I’m over half a hundred and my SWAC dad was taking me to games as a young tyke…lol I even went to to Bayou Classic I in old Tulane Stadium before the SuperDome was open and went to the first game in the building (Grambling and Alcorn, don’t let anyone tell you different). I lol but don’t comment when folks think S.U./JSU Crowds are something new. I do believe though back in the day, in many instances it depended on who you’re playing as well. TNST, FAMU, GRAM, JSU and Alcorn were big games for us and we used to flock to Houston to watch S.U.vs TXSU to party and just because we can…lol (good times and distant memories)
Again over 40 years of no fans. I been going to games since 83 so nobody really Remembers them ever having a following except diehards. Same shocked questions every year. Face it they killed that off decades ago.

Again over 40 years of no fans. I been going to games since 83 so nobody really Remembers them ever having a following except diehards. Same shocked questions every year. Face it they killed that off decades ago.

I’ve been going and watching longer than that. What I do agree with is their fan base has eroded over the years and is not close to what it was. I also agree that die hards and much older people can remember. When folks even talk about the JSU S.U. series, I tend not to respond as if it started in the 90’s….as if the lights never went out in Mumford or no one was going to see Perry Harrington and Carl Blue run the ball less than Sweetness prior to them. I got a bunch of TNST stories as well but will leave it here. Losing the Atlanta Classic (well after 83) was a blow to the TNST dissipating fan base which further alienated their core interest)

Last edited:
Back