Texas Southern @ Prairie View A&M
Attendance: 13,206

Alabama A&M @ Auburn
Attendance: 88,043

Grambling @ Louisiana-Lafayette
Attendance: 23,107

Southern @ McNeese State
Attendance: 17,040

North Carolina Central @ Alabama State (Denny’s Orange Bloom Classic)
Attendance: 10,256

Last edited:

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
At some point Tennessee St has to realize that if they want to make money and get a crowd for the John Merrit Classic they are going to have to invite AAMU back.
The fact that AAMU and Tennessee State are so close in proximity but doesn’t play each other, makes no sense at all. Tennessee State should host AAMU in the John Merrit Classic, and AAMU should host Tennessee State in the Louis Crews Classic.

At some point Tennessee St has to realize that if they want to make money and get a crowd for the John Merrit Classic they are going to have to invite AAMU back.
That’s all In scheduling ! OC games are to blame if TSU and AAMU can set a contract it can happen but they won’t fill up that huge stadium

The 15,000 in Tallahassee feels like an undercount…unless FAMU is not scanning every ticket or giving out freebies…

The fact that AAMU and Tennessee State are so close in proximity but doesn’t play each other, makes no sense at all. Tennessee State should host AAMU in the John Merrit Classic, and AAMU should host Tennessee State in the Louis Crews Classic.
What happened to the Tennessee State fan base. I remember them having a really big and loud fan base years ago…

That’s all In scheduling ! OC games are to blame if TSU and AAMU can set a contract it can happen but they won’t fill up that huge stadium
Oh yeah we didn't fill it up but we have brought the largest crowds to the JMC. They would at least make more money and yes I'm being selfish since it's only a 90 minute drive from my house. Depending on traffic I can make it in 75-80 minutes 😂

Yes AAMU has always brought the largest crowd to the JMC since the drive is so short, TSU traveled heavy to AAMU. It’s a win for both institutions.Both AD’S needs to get it together and schedule these games

Tennessee State still have pwi thinking so thinking the obvious is not in their DNA - they rather kill it off than do what's right

Pv should've just said sellout and that would've worked - there was more than 20k on campus

100%!!!! They just cannot seem to get it right for this JMC and
the classic has existed since 1999. I went to that one vs. Alabama State.
I think next year, A&T Aggies are the opponent.
AAMU should be the obvious opponent....2 hours from your backyard.
Not sure why that can't be worked out
. 🤨 Just......sad. :rolleyes:

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
TSU and AAMU is something I wont ever understand. Nashville is 90 miles away… TSU has a huge HSV student enrollment and AAMU has a large Nashville enrollment… The game only makes sense.

90 miles!!! 👍EXACTLY!
Hell, that ain't even an overnight trip.
Its an EASY DAY trip for a great game day experience.
Even if they hosted AAMU every other year
would still help to build some consistent rivalry.

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?
😖
Just play some damn Texas Commerce College
OR whoever they got on the schedule.

90 miles!!! 👍EXACTLY!
Hell, that ain't even an overnight trip.
Its an EASY DAY trip for a great game day experience.
Even if they hosted AAMU every other year
would still help to build some consistent rivalry.

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?
😖
Just play some damn Texas Commerce College
OR whoever they got on the schedule.
word is Tenn st AD doesn't want to do home and home...

100%!!!! They just cannot seem to get it right for this JMC and
the classic has existed since 1999. I went to that one vs. Alabama State.
I think next year, A&T Aggies are the opponent.
AAMU should be the obvious opponent....2 hours from your backyard.
Not sure why that can't be worked out
. 🤨 Just......sad. :rolleyes:
Next year yall have Arkansas that week.

What happened to the Tennessee State fan base. I remember them having a really big and loud fan base years ago…

This is why. They will look down on playing Valley but I can guarandamntee that 8,000 will be their 2nd biggest home game behind Homecoming. Same thing happened in 2019

Their fanbase is showing them they have no interest in Tennessee Tech, UT-Martin and Austin Peay

Tennessee State still have pwi thinking so thinking the obvious is not in their DNA - they rather kill it off than do what's right

Pv should've just said sellout and that would've worked - there was more than 20k on campus

Has Tennessee State ever had a fan base. Outside of the SHC which is mostly JSU with local Memphis folks rooting for TSU when have they been a big draw?

This is why. They will look down on playing Valley but I can guarandamntee that 8,000 will be their 2nd biggest home game behind Homecoming. Same thing happened in 2019

Their fanbase is showing them they have no interest in Tennessee Tech, UT-Martin and Austin Peay

I disagree. They are showing them they have no interest in Tennessee State football.

Back