2024 Celebration Bowl will be the 2nd weekend in December

FCS , D2 and D3 playoffs start the week after the season ends and teams play back to back weekends until they lose.

The SWAC chooses to have a championship game.

It is what it is
There is a bye between the semifinal and FCS championship game for both schools.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let's say, for example, Jackson State makes the Celebration Bowl. Just based on their schedule, JSU would end the season playing eight consecutive weeks without a break. During the 2024 regular season, JSU gets a bye after their first six games.

Under that scenario, it would be a health concern and a concern about competition integrity. It's unheard of for a team to play for a postseason national title in football and not get at least one week break before the championship round.

JSU does not play the weekend of Nov 30th, so that is basically a bye.

In terms of logistics the extra week is helpful - imagine the off the field issues you gotta deal with now piled up with football issues

While I also don't moving the game up, I clearly understand it's a business decision. A decision ESPN has to right to make since they own the rights to broadcast the game (along with damn-near all the other lesser bowls).

From a business perspective, how is moving this game any different than the SWAC's decision (forever ago) to create the SCG?

It's all about $$$$, so it doesn't necessarily have to make sense, especially when the SWAC/MEAC seemingly have NO recourse to get out of the game, and nobody else is lining-up to purchase it from ESPN......

At this point, lets just be happy they still gave us a Saturday slot. Could be worse. It would be on a Wednesday at 2 PM.

As for the game itself, it's really no different than playing a Saturday game then playing a Thursday game. I dont think it will affect JSU too much. There is no team in the MEAC as talented as we are. There is no team as well coached as we are. Yes, I know we lost twice but that was 1000% based on choices that Coach Prime made. We should have won both by 3 TDs. Going forward, we will. TC wont get in his own way.

Don’t worry, the champs will handle whatever maybe and will repeat. We don’t need 2 weeks.👍🏽

Negative, ghost-rider. Incorrect, sir. We @ PV look forward to being a hospitable host to the fall 2024 SWAC East football champions THEEEEE Jackson State University football Tigers @ our place for the SCG. They showed us SWAC love at their place a few ago and we look forward to showing them SWAC love @ our place. Naturally, it'll be a sell-out @ PV, a good look on tv, and since we're 15-15.5K SRO.

Negative, ghost-rider. Incorrect, sir. We @ PV look forward to being a hospitable host to the fall 2024 SWAC East football champions THEEEEE Jackson State University football Tigers @ our place for the SCG. They showed us SWAC love at their place a few ago and we look forward to showing them SWAC love @ our place. Naturally, it'll be a sell-out @ PV, a good look on tv, and since we're 15-15.5K SRO.
So you are counting out Southern and Alcorn. We’ll take care of thee…

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
That second weekend is a bit early but as TP pointed out at least you still have a Saturday slot. Would love to see espn/abc ditch some of these lower tier fbs Bowls to create more flexibility. If not I can see the CB eventually being pushed to a Thursday or Friday if the playoffs expand agaiin.

Back