2024 Celebration Bowl will be the 2nd weekend in December

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You have to look at how the weeks fall and how the new FBS Playoff schedule is situated. Expect the same to continue to happen because of it.
I get all of that, but for me -- and I'm not saying this to be overly dramatic -- there is a legitimate argument that could be made regarding player safety. The CB is owned by ESPN Events (Disney) and is, for the most part, a game constructed solely for the purpose of TV content. For ESPN this is nothing more than a means to gain eyeball for TV. I get that and understand it.

However, for the conferences and teams involved, the CB is THE game that MEAC and SWAC teams consider as the mythical HBCU national championship game. And in the case of the SWAC, with the SCG being the determining factor as to who plays in the CB, you've got to give the SWAC representative at least one week off to prepare and give players a chance to heal wherever needed.

For the SWAC not to have a least a week off is just flat-out wrong.

I get all of that, but for me -- and I'm not saying this to be overly dramatic -- there is a legitimate argument that could be made regarding player safety. The CB is owned by ESPN Events (Disney) and is, for the most part, a game constructed solely for the purpose of TV content. For ESPN this is nothing more than a means to gain eyeball for TV. I get that and understand it.

However, for the conferences and teams involved, the CB is THE game that MEAC and SWAC teams consider as the mythical HBCU national championship game. And in the case of the SWAC, with the SCG being the determining factor as to who plays in the CB, you've got to give the SWAC representative at least one week off to prepare and give players a chance to heal wherever needed.

That sounds like a YouTube rant waiting to happen.

They did this just to gain their annual “first game of the bowl season” title back?

I’ll allow it.

It’s not right, but the one thing everyone says is that TV Ratings are what makes this game successful. That’s not going to happen going against the CFP and NFL imagine playing the CB against Steelers/Ravens and Chiefs/Texans it would be a ratings disaster.

I'm going to drop one later.
Happy Regular Season GIF by NBA

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I would say you treat this game like its a playoff game. Do what you can and bring your best to the field

The hard part about this is the travel days. If you're home for the SCG you basically get a extra day since you're not traveling back home after the game. Even if this was a playoff game, you get to use friday as your travel day to the game day site, but since this is a bowl game you have to be at the game site days in advance to do those extra bowl activities.

The hard part about this is the travel days. If you're home for the SCG you basically get a extra day since you're not traveling back home after the game. Even if this was a playoff game, you get to use friday as your travel day to the game day site, but since this is a bowl game you have to be at the game site days in advance to do those extra bowl activities.
You right bro! I forgot about the other activities!

Are you concerned about player safety when SWAC teams travel back to back weeks?

Are you concerned about player safety when teams play games every Saturday without a break in between

Are you concerned about player safety when SWAC teams travel back to back weeks?

Are you concerned about player safety when teams play games every Saturday without a break in between
Let's say, for example, Jackson State makes the Celebration Bowl. Just based on their schedule, JSU would end the season playing eight consecutive weeks without a break. During the 2024 regular season, JSU gets a bye after their first six games.

Under that scenario, it would be a health concern and a concern about competition integrity. It's unheard of for a team to play for a postseason national title in football and not get at least one week break before the championship round.

Last edited:
Let's say, for example, Jackson State makes the Celebration Bowl. Just based on their schedule, JSU would end the season playing eight consecutive weeks without a break. During the 2024 regular season, JSU gets a bye after their first six games.

Under that scenario, it would be a health concern and a concern about competition fairness. It's unheard of for a team to play for a postseason national title in football and not get at least one week break before the championship
FCS , D2 and D3 playoffs start the week after the season ends and teams play back to back weekends until they lose.

The SWAC chooses to have a championship game.

It is what it is

Back