2022 French Open - Roland Garros

Nice match by Coco, Sloane feel apart in the second set. Sloane finished the first set very strong (even though she lost), but she could not keep it up during the second set.

GAUFF BREAKS NEW GROUND ON MAJOR STAGE

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/article/rg2022-gauff-stephens-quarter-final-report

American teenager Coco Gauff will vie for her maiden Grand Slam final after denying compatriot Sloane Stephens at Roland-Garros on Tuesday.

The 18-year-old’s 7-5, 6-2 victory over the 2017 US Open champion earned her a last-four showdown against fellow first-time major semi-finalist Martina Trevisan, who defeated Gauff en route to quarters in Paris in 2020.

The only time the Gauff and Stephens had met previously came in the opening round at Flushing Meadows last year, when Hurricane Ida was bearing down above and Stephens stormed to a straight-sets result.

On Tuesday, it was a far more composed and consistent Gauff who weathered a late first-set resurgence to reverse the result in 90 minutes and become the youngest Grand Slam semi-finalist since Amanda Anisimova in Paris three years ago.

French Open 2022 Results: Nadal's Win over Djokovic Highlights Tuesday's Scores

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-win-over-djokovic-highlights-tuesdays-scores

Women's Scores

No. 18 Coco Gauff def. Sloane Stephens: 7-5, 6-2

Martina Trevisan def. No. 17 Leylah Fernandez: 6-2, (3) 6-7, 6-3

Women's Quarterfinals Draw (Wednesday)

No. 20 Daria Kasatkina vs. No. 29 Veronika Kudermetova

No. 1 Iga Swiatek vs. No. 11 Jessica Pegula

Women's Semifinals Draw (Thursday)

No. 18 Coco Gauff vs. Martina Trevisan

Swiatek/Pegula winner vs. Kasatkina/Kudermetova winner

Men's Scores

No. 5 Rafael Nadal def. No. 1 Novak Djokovic: 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (4)

No. 3 Alexander Zverev def. No. 6 Carlos Alcaraz: 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7)

Men's Draw Quarterfinals Draw (Wednesday)

No. 7 Andrey Rublev vs. No. 20 Marin Cilic

No. 8 Casper Ruud vs. Holger Rune

Men's Semifinals Draw (Friday)

No. 3 Alexander Zverev vs. No. 5 Rafael Nadal

Rublev/Cilic winner vs. Ruud/Rune winner

I think Novak made too many unforced errors, especially in the first and third sets. Rafa just went off the boil in the second set. The fourth set was better. I have high expectations for both players.

French Open 2022 Results: Iga Swiatek, Marin Cilic Wins Highlight Wednesday's Action

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-marin-cilic-wins-highlight-wednesdays-action

Men's Singles Results

No. 20 Marin Cilic d. No. 7 Andrey Rublev; 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(2)

No. 8 Casper Ruud d. Holger Rune; 6-1, 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-3

Women's Singles Results

No. 1 Iga Swiatek d. Jessica Pegula; 6-3, 6-2

No. 20 Daria Kasatkina d. No. 29 Veronika Kudermetova; 6-4, 7-6(5)

French Open 2022 Results: Coco Gauff, Iga Swiatek Advance to Women's Singles Final

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...f-iga-swiatek-advance-to-womens-singles-final

Women's Semifinal Results

(1) Iga Swiatek d. (20) Daria Kasatkina; 6-2, 6-1

(18) Coco Gauff d. Martina Trevisan; 6-3, 6-1

Congratulations to Coco to getting to her first final at a major.
:clap:

I would be shocked if Coco beat Iga, she is playing unbelievable tennis!

From the link above:
:read:

It'll mark the third career WTA Tour meeting between Swiatek and Gauff. Swiatek won each of the first two matchups (2021 Rome and 2022 Miami) in straight sets.

I think Novak made too many unforced errors, especially in the first and third sets. Rafa just went off the boil in the second set. The fourth set was better. I have high expectations for both players.
I still think that Felix Auger-Aliassime gave Nadal a tougher fight. Unforced errors? Well in the game of tennis, "those are just the fleas that comes with the dog".

Based on attendance I would say that is true. I dont have ratings numbers, so I cant talk about that, only what I see when attending or watching matches. With the top women with personality like Venus, Serena, Steffi, Monica, Chris E. Martina N. etc.. they draw as well if not better than the men.

This is so sad, Zverev is off the court with an injury. He was screaming in pain. He came back on the court using crutches.... SO SAD! Its looks like an ankle injury.

Hotel Transylvania Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Based on attendance I would say that is true. I dont have ratings numbers, so I cant talk about that, only what I see when attending or watching matches. With the top women with personality like Venus, Serena, Steffi, Monica, Chris E. Martina N. etc.. they draw as well if not better than the men.
That's the same thing I was thinking. Its just not the same, especially without Serena.

8:00 am CDT Women's single final on Saturday morning. Women's doubles on Sunday.

WITH WISHES FROM MICHELLE OBAMA, GAUFF GOING FOR A SWEEP

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/...rom-michelle-obama-gauff-going-for-the-double

Coco Gauff is so tuned into business mode that she didn’t pick up on a pretty significant message of support that was sent her way on social media.

The teenager is vying for a singles and doubles clean sweep at Roland-Garros.

Gauff and her partner Jessica Pegula booked their ticket to the women’s doubles final by posting a 6-4, 7-6(4) win over fellow Americans Madison Keys and Taylor Townsend on Saturday; less than 24 hours after Gauff had reached a maiden Grand Slam singles final with victory over Martina Trevisan.

Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic, the 2016 Roland-Garros champions, completed the final quartet by reeling in 14th seeds Lyudmyla Kichenok and Jelena Ostapenko 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 in a close last-four showdown that was interrupted by rain.

Overnight, former First Lady Michelle Obama tweeted, “Congrats Coco Gauff, I’m so proud of you, and I will be rooting for you all the way!”

Congratulations to Iga and Rafa on your Roland Garros singles championships.

Iga is playing very strong, there are a couple of Americans that maybe able to beat her at Wimbledon, but we will talk about that later.

Rafa also had a great tournament, I was worried about his foot going into the championships, but he survived. There was a lot of talk that this maybe his last time playing for the title in Paris. I am thinking about going back to Roland Garros next year if the world doesn't descend in to more chaos.

Coco has to get some depths to her shots if she is going to be Iga.

Rudd needs some more experience to beat the top players, but he is looking good.

Its good seeing Rudd and Korda, the children of high ranking men players trying to make it to the top.
:nod:

Back