2003 - Games to watch (Tony Moss)

Attack Dog

by Tony Moss, Executive Director of I-AA Football

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) -

Below we have selected the top five I-AA games of each week of the regular season, along with one contest per week that might have appeared beneath your radar. And since "Third and Long" has never been noted for its overwhelming positivity, we have also selected the least compelling game of each I-AA weekend:

(Note: For the purposes of this piece, we have not included two interesting games including Grambling State -- 8/23 against San Jose State in the Literacy Classic and 11/29 versus Southern in the Bayou Classic -- because they do not fall on full weeks of the regular season).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEEK ONE -- AUGUST 30

Ones to Watch:

Montana at Maine -- The Grizzlies and Black Bears, two national quarterfinals in 2002, will at last battle for ursine supremacy.

Hampton at Villanova (8/28) -- The Wildcats will face a prime MEAC contender in the first game of the post-Brett Gordon era.

Montana State at Wyoming -- New Cowboy and former Montana head coach Joe Glenn will look to avenge one of only two Big Sky losses in his career, to MSU last season.

Elon at Furman -- The Phoenix will begin their Southern Conference history by traveling to Furman, a team they upset in ?99.

Appalachian State at Hawaii -- Host Warriors will try to soften up the Mountaineers with a Friday night luau, knowing that ASU routinely defeats I-As.

One You Might Have Missed: Southeast Missouri at Ohio University -- SEMO beat the last I-A it faced (Middle Tennessee in ?02), and Bobcats opened last year with a 31-0 loss to Northeastern.

One Not to Watch: Union (KY) at Western Kentucky (8/28) -- WKU was the I-AA national champion in 2002. Union was a 2-8 member of the NAIA Mid-South Conference. Nothing like putting it on the line early.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEEK TWO -- SEPTEMBER 6

Ones to Watch:

Appalachian State at Eastern Kentucky -- Two clubs coming off I-A affairs (EKU opens at Bowling Green) could be looking to avoid 0-2 in Richmond.

McNeese State at Kansas State -- This matchup might not seem "made in Manhattan," but MSU has played Texas A&M and Nebraska tough in the past two years.

Western Illinois at Eastern Michigan (9/4) -- Top five Leathernecks will probably be double-digit favorites against one of I-A?s worst.

Northwestern State at Tulane -- Tulane alumni ragged on I-AA when the school talked about dropping down, but the Green Wave might be surprised to see what a real I-AA looks like.

Gardner-Webb at Montana State -- Are last year?s Big South champs among the I-AA elite? They?ll find out in Bozeman.

One You Might Have Missed: Albany at Northeastern -- If Great Dane tailback Gary Jones is a legitimate Payton candidate, he?ll have to prove it against the Huskies.

One Not to Watch: Concord at East Tennessee State (9/4) -- Lame-duck Buccaneers play host to D-II team coming off a 3-8 year. I can?t imagine why ETSU has attendance problems.

WEEK THREE -- SEPTEMBER 13

Ones to Watch:

Georgia Southern at McNeese State -- Cowboy Stadium will be sold out and abuzz for the marquee I-AA non-conference matchup of 2003.

Fordham at Lehigh -- Pivotal early-season Patriot League tilt pits the conference?s last two champions.

Youngstown State at Kent State -- MAC schools don?t like to schedule YSU, which could easily dismiss the bottom half of that league.

Grambling State vs. Alabama A&M -- This rematch of last year?s SWAC Championship will be played in Shreveport.

Western Illinois at LSU -- No one expects the Leathernecks to go to Baton Rouge and win, but a close game would be another feel-good story for I-AA.

One You Might Have Missed: Murray State at Southern Illinois -- Star SIU running back Tom Koutsos was injured in last year?s oft-ugly MSU loss, and Salukis will be seeking revenge.

One Not to Watch: Florida A&M at Florida -- Rattlers have been outscored, 120-20, in past two matchups with Miami (FL). Don?t expect them to play the Gators much closer.

WEEK FOUR -- SEPTEMBER 20

Ones to Watch:

Eastern Kentucky at Western Kentucky -- "Battle of the Bluegrass," the Commonwealth of Kentucky?s oldest rivalry, will kick off for the first time in three years.

Georgia Southern at Wofford -- Terriers went into Statesboro last year and handed Eagles their first home league loss since ?96, so revenge will be on GSU?s mind.

McNeese State at Grambling State -- Tigers were humiliated, 52-20, in Cowboy Stadium last year. Will they fare better at home?

Massachusetts at Maine -- If Black Bears expect to contend for their third playoff berth in three years, they?ll have to take down the talented Minutemen at home.

Illinois State at Eastern Illinois -- The state of Illinois? longest-running series will unfold for the 91st time when the Redbirds travel to Charleston.

One You Might Have Missed: Duquesne at Pennsylvania -- If the Dukes are to be considered for Top 25 status in ?03, they?ll need a strong showing against the reigning Ivy League champs.

One Not to Watch: West Virginia State at Charleston Southern -- Can you name the I-AA team here? It?s not WVSU, which went 1-10 as a member of Division II in 2002.

WEEK FIVE -- SEPTEMBER 27

Ones to Watch:

Idaho at Montana -- I-AA?s only home game against a I-A in 2003, the Grizzlies will try to use that advantage to win their fourth straight in the series.

Northeastern at Villanova -- Huskies handled the eventual national semifinalists in Brookline last year, but NU hasn?t won at VU since 1993.

Northwestern State at Northern Iowa -- Nine days after traveling to Nacogodches to face Stephen F. Austin, UNI will welcome this Southland team from Natchitoches.

Pennsylvania at Lehigh -- The Quakers ended Lehigh?s streak of 26 straight regular season wins by defeating the Brown and White in Philly last year. Another revenge date.

Hampton vs. Morgan State -- Florida A&M can?t win the MEAC title this year, so many are expecting one of these two teams to be in the postseason hunt. Who is more worthy?

One You Might Have Missed: Idaho State at Sacramento State -- ISU begins its Big Sky title defense (betcha forgot the Bengals were tri-champs) in the Golden State capital.

One Not to Watch: Bacone College at Southwest Missouri State -- NAIA Warriors were added to SMS schedule when Morris Brown lost its accreditation. Bears may have been better off with 10 games.

WEEK SIX -- OCTOBER 4

Ones to Watch:

Western Kentucky at Western Illinois -- Rematch of last year?s "Sledgehammer Bowl" in the playoff quarterfinals will once again be played in Macomb.

Eastern Illinois at Southeast Missouri -- SEMO looked upon as the OVC?s team of the future, but Tim Billings? team will have to get through the two-time defending league champs first.

UC Davis at Sacramento State -- "Causeway Classic" is annually a hot ticket, and rivalry should be strengthened by Davis? move to I-AA.

William & Mary at Delaware -- This one is nearly always a barn-burner, as evidenced by last year?s 45-42 Tribe win in Williamsburg.

McNeese State at Southeastern Louisiana -- Will Hal Mumme?s first-year Lions be a I-AA factor any time soon? This game could hold the answer.

One You Might Have Missed: Lehigh at UConn -- Mountain Hawks are situated between Virginia Tech and N.C. State on UConn?s schedule. Serious upset potential here.

One Not to Watch: Oklahoma Panhandle State at Northwestern State -- Demon fans accustomed to seeing their team play top-quality foes will be confused by the Aggies, who were 2-9 as a D-II Independent a year ago.

WEEK SEVEN -- OCTOBER 11

Ones to Watch:

Appalachian State at Furman -- A win for the Paladins would begin to erase the embarrassment of last year?s two-point blunder in the closing seconds.

Idaho State at Montana State -- The Bengals earned a controversial victory over the Bobcats in Pocatello last year, a loss that cost MSU the outright league title.

Eastern Kentucky at Eastern Illinois -- A mad scramble by EIU quarterback Tony Romo won last year?s game for the Panthers and seriously deflated EKU?s playoff hopes.

Southern Illinois at Illinois State -- ISU shut down SIU rusher Mo Abdulqaadir last year and knocked the Salukis out of the Top 25. Mo will be among those with something to prove.

Northeastern at Hofstra -- Some Hofstra officials were displeased by NU?s sportsmanship in last year?s tilt, so this one could get personal.

One You Might Have Missed: Colgate at Princeton -- The Red Raiders were shut out of the playoffs in large part because of their ?02 loss to the Tigers. Both teams are expected to be stronger this time around.

One Not to Watch: Valparaiso at Dayton -- The Crusaders, who come off a 1-10 campaign a year ago, have been outscored a combined 101-6 by UD in the past two meetings.

WEEK EIGHT - OCTOBER 18

Ones to Watch:

Georgia Southern at Appalachian State -- Is this rivalry beginning to become one-sided? The Eagles have won four straight against the Mountaineers.

Montana at Idaho State -- Bengals are 1-18 against the Grizzlies in the past two decades, but have been a play away from victory in each of the past two years.

Maine at Northeastern -- A scheduling anomaly meant these Atlantic 10 co-champs didn?t meet in 2002. The winner here could have a case for league supremacy.

Southern Illinois at Western Illinois -- Abdulqaadir ran all over WIU in last year?s 54-52 thriller, but the Leathernecks are likely to be bracing for the rush this time.

Southeast Missouri at Eastern Kentucky -- The Indians went into Richmond last year and squashed EKU?s playoff hopes. Can they win in Colonel country two straight years?

One You Might Have Missed: Gardner-Webb at VMI -- With the Keydets taking Elon?s place in the Big South this year, this one could be for the conference championship.

One Not to Watch: Charleston Southern at USF -- USF defeated Charleston Southern, 56-6, last year, and the school wasn?t about to schedule a quality I-AA at this point in the season.

WEEK NINE -- OCTOBER 25

Ones to Watch:

Delaware at Navy -- It will be homecoming in Annapolis, and current and former middies should be delighted by this matchup between two teams with similar talent levels.

Appalachian State at Wofford -- The Terriers went into Boone last year and emerged victorious. Now they will seek to show that defeating a member of the "Big 3" isn?t that unusual.

South Carolina State at Hampton -- The Bulldogs won a 47-41 slugfest with the Pirates a year ago, and they?ll likely need to duplicate that feat to remain in the MEAC title hunt.

Nicholls State at Northwestern State -- If Nicholls is to pass Northwestern in the Southland hierarchy, it would be advised to pick up its first win in Natchitoches since 1990.

Portland State at Montana -- This one has lost some of its luster since PSU has missed the playoffs the past two years, but that won?t keep UM fans from packing Washington-Grizzly.

One You Might Have Missed: Massachusetts at Villanova -- The Minutemen should think about skipping their trip to the Main Line -- the home team has won the last 15 games in this series.

One Not to Watch: Texas College at Prairie View A&M -- A&M needs wins any way it can get them, but playing a first-year NAIA program could be crossing the line.

WEEK 10 -- NOVEMBER 1

Ones to Watch:

Northeastern at Massachusetts -- Huskies snapped the Minutemen?s 16-game series win streak last season, now they?ll try to win in Amherst for the first time since 1958.

Western Illinois at Illinois State -- Dual between a pair of Buchanan Award candidate linebackers -- ISU?s Boomer Grigsby and WIU?s Lee Russell -- figures to be part of the storyline here.

Maine at Delaware -- Black Bears will make their first trip to Newark since 1998, when they upset the Blue Hens, 39-27.

Colgate at Lafayette -- Both the Red Raiders and Leopards should be in the playoff mix come November. Can you say "elimination game"?

Eastern Illinois at Tennessee State -- The Panthers outgunned the Tigers, 54-48, a year ago. Jon Carr, who was TSU?s offensive coordinator in that game, now calls the plays for EIU.

One You Might Have Missed: Sacramento State at Montana State -- Yet another Big Sky game that ended on a controversial call in ?02. Hornets seek revenge for the last second field goal they feel shouldn?t have been.

One Not to Watch: Allen University at Southern -- The Jaguars have traded tough opponents like Tulane and Northwestern State for the likes of Allen, an NAIA school.

WEEK 11 -- NOVEMBER 8

Ones to Watch:

Furman at Georgia Southern -- Paladins are still stinging from their 21-point home loss to the Eagles last year, but will be going for two straight against the Eagles in Statesboro.

Delaware at Northeastern -- The Atlantic 10 title race figures to be greatly affected by this tilt, which features two popular playoff picks.

Hampton at Bethune-Cookman -- Selected 1-2 in the preseason MEAC poll, the Wildcats and Pirates will square off in sunny Daytona.

Lehigh at Colgate -- Still the Patriot League?s most visible on-field rivalry (sorry Lehigh/Lafayette), it will be difficult for the loser of this one to challenge for the conference title.

Stephen F. Austin at McNeese State -- SFA coach Mike Santiago was the offensive coordinator at McNeese from 1990 to 1998, and the rivalry should be intensified by the ?Jacks improvement.

One You Might Have Missed: Princeton at Pennsylvania -- Normally the game of the year in Ivy hoops, the Tigers and Quakers are also expected to be at the forefront of the football race this year.

One Not to Watch: Lincoln (MO) at Southern - The Jaguars have traded tough opponents like Tulane and Northwestern State for the likes of Lincoln, a Division II school coming off a 4-7 season.

WEEK 12 -- NOVEMBER 15

Ones to Watch:

Massachusetts at Delaware -- Another game featuring two prime Atlantic 10 title contenders, both of which have I-AA title game appearances to their credit.

Wofford at Furman -- The Paladins were the only stone the Terriers left unturned last year, and Wofford hasn?t won in Greenville since 1970.

Northwestern State at McNeese State -- Former McNeese assistant and current NSU head man Scott Stoker will be the next visitor on the Cowboy Stadium "Welcome Home" tour.

Fordham at Colgate -- The Rams will have an unenviable mid-November journey to Hamilton, NY, and the Raiders will be eager to remind that they were the Patriot League co-champs last year.

Pennsylvania at Harvard -- The Quakers and Crimson have squared off in the de facto Ivy League title game the past two years, and this tilt could serve as the rubber match.

One You Might Have Missed: The Citadel vs. VMI -- Charlotte?s Memorial Stadium will again be the host for the "Military Classic of the South," which will be in its 63rd installment.

One Not to Watch: Siena at Florida Atlantic -- Non-Scholarship MAAC team that has won eight games in the past four years heads south to face fully-funded, 63 scholarship program. Ugly.

WEEK 13 -- NOVEMBER 22

Ones to Watch:

Montana at Montana State -- When you add championship stakes to an already-heated atmosphere, it makes for one of the most compelling rivalries in college football.

Bethune-Cookman vs. Florida A&M -- 70,000 will pack the Citrus Bowl for this annual Suarez, which will hopefully continue even if FAMU realizes its I-A dream.

Lafayette at Lehigh -- College football?s most-played rivalry is especially enticing when both teams are competitive, such as last year when the Leopards snapped a seven-game series loss streak.

Harvard at Yale -- "The Game" will enter its 120th chapter this season, with the Bulldogs trying to snap a two-game losing skid to the Crimson.

McNeese State at Nicholls State -- It?s not the Southland?s top rivalry, but the Cowboys almost always have something to play for and the Colonels annually give them trouble.

One You Might Have Missed: Stephen F. Austin at Northwestern State -- Chief Caddo, a 7-6, 320-pound wood Indian statue, is the prize here -- he?s resided at NSU for the past two seasons.

One Not to Watch: Weber State at Saint Mary?s (CA) -- Nothing like a year-ending non-conference game between two teams that have basically no postseason shot.

I honestly don't get how northwestern State - Jackson State isn't listed. I think it's a pretty important game for both teams and the winner will probably get a national ranking. Plus we are usually among the top temas in our respective conferences.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Interesting list and funny too.

I thought the "One not to watch"ers was outstanding. :lmao:

Originally posted by G-Man75
Everyone is noticing the cowardice of Southern..........Div. II?

If my school loss to Southern U. 9 out of the last 10 years, I would just shut up. Is there any reason in particular Grambling loss 9 games in 10 years to S.U.? Please answer G-Man75.

Originally posted by COACH
Is there a reason that su was 6-6?

Yep injury's :rolleyes: Ya see what happened when everybody was healthy huh? Ya'll got that arse smashed!!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back