19,000 attended JSU's Graduation in Memorial Stadium....

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
At last, a college degree

JSU, other schools hold ceremonies
By Andy Kanengiser
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Barbara Gauntt / The Clarion-Ledger

During Jackson State University commencement exercises Saturday morning, Ebony McDowell, 23, of Delhi, La., uses a phone to talk to her family in the bleachers as she waves so they can locate her in the crowd of graduates on the field of Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

Harry Devrouax, clenching his fist, shouted "yes!" after receiving his bachelor's degree at Jackson State University on Saturday.

"It was very emotional. I've been doing a lot of crying," Devrouax, 47, said from his seat at what's normally the football field at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

"I quit school (JSU) in 1977 when I needed 15 hours (to graduate). It was a bad mistake," said Devrouax, an alumnus of Jackson's Callaway High.

He corrected that error by enrolling at Jackson State last fall. On Saturday he walked out of the 60,000-seat

stadium, home of the JSU Tigers, with a bachelor's degree in music education. And more confidence.

On Monday, Devrouax plans to begin his quest to land a teaching job with the Jackson Public Schools.

Devrouax was among an estimated 19,000 people flocking to JSU's graduation ceremonies in the huge stadium for the first time as the school marks its 125th anniversary.

Some JSU supporters said the event outdoors was too humid, preferring air-conditioned graduations on campus. But others were happy to see plenty of parking and seats.

After the three-hour program ended around noon, Terrance Wade, 24, of Leland, said he's delighted to receive his master's in health and physical education because it will enhance his career as a football coach in the Memphis schools.

"It's more education and more opportunity," said Wade, who obtained his undergraduate degree at Mississippi Valley State University where he played football.

At Veterans Memorial Stadium, the cheers from JSU supporters were loud and confetti thick as a parade of graduates received degrees from President Ronald Mason Jr. and other JSU leaders.

Some like Jacksonian Helen Sias, 72, a member of the JSU Class of 1952, were spotlighted for returning for the 50th anniversary of their graduation. Sias was also back to see two of her grandchildren receive JSU degrees.

Graduation speaker Dr. PonJola Coney, incoming dean of the Meharry Medical College in Nashville, advised JSU graduates to "remember to be loyal to your university."

I see it was hot azz hell in Jacktown just like it was in Normal......

nevertheless Congrats to all the JSU graduates

2k2 Class REPRESENT!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back