JSU’s College of Business celebrated another year as host for the Mandela Washington Fellowship

bernard

THEE Realist
Last edited:
On Thursday, January 26, 2023 the faculty senate at Jackson State University passed a resolution expressing no confidence in President Thomas Hudson and four of the eleven members of his cabinet – Vice President Joseph Whitaker, Vice President Michael Bolton, Human Resources Director Robin Pack, and Associate Provost Brandi Newkirk-Turner – by a vote of 17 to 5. The senate’s resolution of no confidence referenced a refusal to practice “shared governance” as the primary problem. Shared governance is a concept and principal that has for a number of years been advocated and often followed by college and university administrations. It is a practice that is expected by regional accrediting agencies as well as other respectable entities in higher education. Reportedly, the most concrete example of the lack of shared governance is that President Hudson has not met with the executive committee of the faculty senate since August, whereas the standards practice had been a meeting once a month. Repeatedly throughout its resolution, the senate complained about the lack of shared governance and transparency, and the harm that has resulted from such action.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
“Jackson State University produces 67% of the Black teachers in Jackson. Let me repeat that for the cameras in the back,” he emphasized. “Jackson State University produces 67% of the Black teachers in Jackson. That’s unheard of in this country.”

Cardona said he was at JSU because he wants all colleges and universities to have that same impact on their local community. “This is the place where it’s happening. And I guess my question to this group here is why is that important, and how can we replicate that across the country?”

One answer appears to be the University’s MTR Program, which prepares educators for teaching in geographical critical shortage areas. The HBCU welcomed its first cohort of 15 graduate students last fall.

View: https://twitter.com/GoJSUTigers/status/1626694293082591250

Last edited:

J-SUEDE brings home the gold from the Dance Team Union Regionals in Birmingham​

JACKSON, Miss - The Jackson State University Elite Dance Ensemble (J-SUEDE) brought home the first regional championship in the program’s history on January 29, 2023. J-SUEDE claimed the first-place title in the Birmingham College Hip-Hop Division of the Dance Team Union Regionals.

“We have been working towards this goal for eight years,” said Creative Director and Coach Travis Burks. “Our coed team entered the Hip-Hop Division for the first time and came out in first place with zero deductions. Coach Michelle Houston and I are extremely proud of how the team represented our university. The future is very bright for J-SUEDE!”

J-SUEDE is currently fundraising to raise money for its next competition in Orlando. For more information on how to support the team, you can visit their website, www.theeidance.com, or their social media accounts @gojsuede on Instagram and J-SUEDE on YouTube.

Jackson State University​

Associate Professor of Economics Dr. Chali Nondo said that a supply chain management program that will soon be offered at Jackson State University was much needed.

"The supply chain program is designed to prepare graduates for the careers that are currently a rapidly expanding industry," Nondo said. "Graduates will be able to fill those positions after completing the program with the necessary skills needed to … thrive in the industry."

Nondo said JSU has received inquiries from companies such as Walmart and Amazon to partner with students to offer internship opportunities.

"I'd like to see more business and data analytic programs at JSU being that large corporations thrive off business data," Nondo said.

Below are some of the newest offerings at JSU:
  • New supply chain management — Management of the flow of goods, data and finances related to a product or service, from the procurement of raw materials to the delivery of the product at its final destination.
  • Entrepreneurship minor — Designed to develop entrepreneurial skills for business majors interested in entrepreneurial activities in start-ups and corporate organizations.

Jackson State University ranked No. 1 HBCU Hidden Gem​

JACKSON, Miss – Jackson State University recently ranked number one on the “15 Top HBCU Hidden Gem Colleges,” according to Online Schools Guide. This designation helps to solidify JSU as a premiere HBCU offering high-quality education within both the traditional and online academic setting at an affordable price.

Highlighting the cross-section of possible experiences attending HBCUs – the ranking showcases JSU as the leader in institutions that not only provide a unique collegiate experience for students but offers a culturally rich environment providing a sense of community for a diverse array of students.

“Jackson State University provides a wide range of educational opportunities at an affordable price in a nurturing environment where students can explore their brilliance and creativity,” said JSU President Thomas K. Hudson, J.D. “In an evolving economy, it is imperative to my administration that the nation’s scholars are able to fulfill their higher education aspirations at a reasonable price point, and that is what we offer at JSU.”

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I just want a decent President at JSU, and all HBCUs'. I am so sick of CRAZY people being put in higher positions because of who they know and who they are linked to. We as a people need to do better. We are ruining our HBCUs' by using bad judgement.

Greetings JSU Tiger Family!

It’s March Madness Month. We want to slam dunk our goal of getting 5,000 new alums to do the following:

• Each new donor/alum gives $5 by the end of March Madness Month
  • Each new donor/alum recruits 5 new JSU Alums/Supporters to give $5 each by the end of March Madness Month
  • This is a donor campaign; individual donations are required for an increase in our Alumni Participation Rate (APR).

We will collectively raise over $25,000 during our March Madness - Elevate the Rate Campaign for our student-athletes, Sonic Boom of the South, Prancing J-Settes, Cheerleaders, and other student organizations. We will increase our APR by doing the following.

Let’s continue to inspire others to majorly impact Jackson State University, all while boosting JSU’s APR. The APR is one key factor when evaluating and ranking colleges and universities, including Jackson State University. Rankings can affect JSU’s reputation, reputation can influence JSU enrollment, and enrollment can impact revenue from tuition. Also, alumni participation rates can be a point of Tiger pride among HBCUs, The SWAC, and other colleges nationwide.

With 5,000 new JSU alumni supporters, we can score high and win during this March Madness month.

ELEVATE HERE:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9maKu_bYNP4

The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning has placed Thomas Hudson, President of Jackson State University, on administrative leave with pay, effective immediately, and named Dr. Elayne Hayes-Anthony as temporary acting president of JSU at its meeting held today in Jackson, effective immediately. Dr. Hayes-Anthony currently serves as Chair and Professor, Department of Journalism and Media Studies, at Jackson State University.

“We are grateful that Dr. Hayes-Anthony has agreed to serve as Acting President,” said Tom Duff, President of the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning. “As alumnus and long-time administrator and faculty member at the university, she understands the campus, its students, its challenges and opportunities.”

Last edited:
I just want a decent President at JSU, and all HBCUs'. I am so sick of CRAZY people being put in higher positions because of who they know and who they are linked to. We as a people need to do better. We are ruining our HBCUs' by using bad judgement.
"We" have not made the decisions about who would be in the highest position at J State in a while. The White Mississippi IHL Board has hand-picked the last two presidents over the recommendations of the University's search committees. In the case of Bynum, he had been eliminated by the search committee only to have the IHL pick him from the deleted bin and place him in the position. The most recent pres. (Hudson) is a lawyer by training - an alum but he does not have a PhD. Was not the choice of academics at the University. One faculty member told me they recall that he is a republican(?).

So now, twice the IHL's decision has blown up in their faces: Bynum - solicitation of prostitution, weed, giving false info to law enforcement in a sting operation. And now Hudson - sexual harassment, no-confidence vote of the faculty senate with a laundry list of management and leadership issues.

Will they learn. Probably not. They're White and republican, so they know it all. There are proportionally more Black people in MS than any other state, so we need to vote in numbers every rip.

"We" have not made the decisions about who would be in the highest position at J State in a while. The White Mississippi IHL Board has hand-picked the last two presidents over the recommendations of the University's search committees. In the case of Bynum, he had been eliminated by the search committee only to have the IHL pick him from the deleted bin and place him in the position. The most recent pres. (Hudson) is a lawyer by training - an alum but he does not have a PhD. Was not the choice of academics at the University. One faculty member told me they recall that he is a republican(?).

So now, twice the IHL's decision has blown up in their faces: Bynum - solicitation of prostitution, weed, giving false info to law enforcement in a sting operation. And now Hudson - sexual harassment, no-confidence vote of the faculty senate with a laundry list of management and leadership issues.

Will they learn. Probably not. They're White and republican, so they know it all. There are proportionally more Black people in MS than any other state, so we need to vote in numbers every rip.
Yes, this is the problem. The IHL should listen to the people when picking JSU Presidents.' This is an issue that must be resolved. The Alumni President, the alumni, and student body needs to become more involved with the Selection and Search committee when it comes to making these decisions for our schools. This mess is embarrassing and another sore eye on our HBCUs. Hudson needs to be fired immediately. He does not need to be on administrative paid leave. He did what he did, and now the consequences are at hand. I am sick and tired of this foolishness. Our young people, faculty, and staff deserves better.

I got nothing against that dude, man despite the history. I thought -- from the outside looking in --Thomas did a good job. Sad to see him go honestly.
He needs to be fired immediately! He did what he did, Period! Doing a good "job," has nothing to do with having good morals and character. He doesn't have good morals, nor good character. We have to stop keeping people in high places on "likes," and good "job." He sexually harassed women, and treated people wrong. He needs to go! Clean the house. JSU can do better.

He needs to be fired immediately! He did what he did, Period! Doing a good "job," has nothing to do with having good morals and character. He doesn't have good morals, nor good character. We have to stop keeping people in high places on "likes," and good "job." He sexually harassed women, and treated people wrong. He needs to go! Clean the house. JSU can do better.
I agree.

My comment was strictly based on performance.

I got nothing against that dude, man despite the history. I thought -- from the outside looking in --Thomas did a good job. Sad to see him go honestly.
Man. I was just messing with cha. This is sad.

This is why I preach to not get ya honey from the place you make your money.

Back