JSU football stadium study among state budget items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just food for thought......Since the State owns Metro Center now.... would this area be a viable option for the stadium. Not exactly on campus...but down the street. Easy access to I-20 and 220...

Attachments

• Screenshot of Metrocenter.jpg
    Screenshot of Metrocenter.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 7
MOST people dont think we deserve any. Its dumb af to me. If they want us to move.. PAY US TO MOVE! BUT oh well. The whole move is dumb af to me. Who cares what every other school has? WE HAVE A STADIUM. IT WAS FREE. If you want to count the years we paid rent in the 80s and early 90s, let that be our payment. LOL However, if we have $100M, we should use it for something we NEED like new dorms and dining halls, etc.... We could spend $20M to upgrade memorial and keep it moving. In ten years, spend another $10M. Just make sure it's totally in our name. Why am I typing any of this? The decision has been made... LOL

I don't like the size of Memorial BUT we wont like everything about the new stadium either.

Also, JSU is not getting anything bigger than 35K. We just need to deal with that.

Paying millions of $ and giving up room for possibly 60k (and multiple routes of access) for 35k? That don't seem like a smart move unless they have a good way of making up for the ticket sales loss.

If I were Jackson (the city), I'd be pushing to get a comparable size stadium or update the vet.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Paying millions of $ and giving up room for possibly 60k (and multiple routes of access) for 35k? That don't seem like a smart move unless they have a good way of making up for the ticket sales loss.

If I were Jackson (the city), I'd be pushing to get a comparable size stadium or update the vet.

I still think that the state (key word: Mississippi) would gladly build JSU a 35-40K stadium to keep them from constantly outselling the big 2 (plus seeing 50-60K people in a stadium that look like you is definitely a great selling point) BUT I am slowly growing towards JSU and Jackson just keeping the Vet and completely renovating it with UMMC not having any immediate plans for growth. There's no benefits of downsizing other than having an on campus stadium.

I can almost assure it would cost at least the price of a 25-30K stadium to renovate but when you have 2 50K+ non-classic games this year and will probably at least 2-3 next year, it would be worth it

Alcorn don't own anything, valley doesn't own anything, the state of Mississippi and IHL do, just like they own MSU and ole Miss, it's a mute argument to talk about what institutions own their stuff when none of us are private, we are all public institutions. UMC will make a killing off of research dollars if they build a research park at the land the vet sits on and I also heard there maybe plans for a regional centrally located burn center, either way the land is valuable and I agree we need a 40k seat stadium with all the added bells and whistles
We, including you, discussed this issue in depth including references back in April of this year in this very Thread. We discussed that the Operational, Administrative and Managing Powers and Duties over the Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium had been transferred to JSU subject to an agreement reached by the Department of Finance and Administration, JSU and the University of MS Medical Center. JSU does not own the Stadium. Again, I will cite the reference: https://law.justia.com/codes/mississippi/2013/title-55/chapter-23/section-55-23-6

🤔

MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF STATE INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING October 21, 2021

JSU – On September 3, 2021, Commissioner Alfred Rankins, Jr., approved the request to grant a thirty-foot-wide permanent utility easement and related right-of-way to Telepak Networks, Inc., d/b/a C-Spire to permit the installation of C-Spire Fiber System and related services lines and access pedestals or hand holes on the right-of-way and easement herein granted on property owned by JSU known as the
Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

To hades with another study from the Legislature; give JSU their own on campus. The state of Mississippi is going to keep on Mississipping. Black tax dollars have being going to this state for years and with free labor via slavery and sharecropping. Ole Miss, MSU and USM don't ever have to ask for anything it is just given.

I have so many questions I don't even know where to start. First UMMC claims that they want the land to expand the hospital for new jobs but it seems like every time funding for a new stadium for JSU is brought up it gets further and further behind. Second what is $40 Million going to help with?? to build a stadium the size that JSU needs would realistically be at least $200 million with today's construction cost. If they want the land to help UMMC expand why would they come up with $40 Million as (seed money) and then can't even agree on that!! They could vote to give JSU $250,000 for the study of the stadium last year and then when the study is finished and it's time for a vote to give JSU money towards a new stadium the bill dies in committee?? But yet they need that land for UMMC expansion?? WHAT??? LOL.....And lastly the location of this new stadium has had so many locations its crazy. First it's supposed to be put behind the school connecting to the downtown on university blvd, now according to this study the top 2 locations are on jefferson street across from WLBT news station but isn't that near the pearl river!? I thought we were trying to get the stadium on campus? LOL This seems like one big game..lol

Last edited:
I have so many questions I don't even know where to start. First UMMC claims that they want the land to expand the hospital for new jobs but it seems like every time funding for a new stadium for JSU is brought up it gets further and further behind. Second what is $40 Million going to help with?? to build a stadium the size that JSU needs would realistically be at least $200 million with today's construction cost. If they want the land to help UMMC expand why would they come up with $40 Million as (seed money) and then can't even agree on that!! They could vote to give JSU $250,000 for the study of the stadium last year and then when the study is finished and it's time for a vote to give JSU money towards a new stadium the bill dies in committee?? But yet they need to land for UMMC?? WHAT??? LOL.....And lastly the location of this new stadium has had so many locations its crazy. First it's supposed to be put behind the school connecting to the downtown on university blvd, now according to this study the top 2 locations are on jefferson street across from WLBT news station but isn't that near the pearl river!? I thought we were trying to get the stadium on campus? LOL This seems like one big game..lol

Your post can be answered with one statement below. $40 mil would be barely enough for our stadium to be fully renovated and expanded to 18-20K so that's barely a drop as far as what your school needs

They never had intentions to past that bill. F89k them racist legislators they aren't OM and MSU. JSU needs their own on campus stadium.

UMMC has never stated publicly, that they wanted the land that Memorial Stadium sits on. Look what Orlando did to the Citrus Bowl, which was built in 1936. Renovate the 60,000 seat Memorial stadium, pack the stadium and call it a day.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
My question is then what was the purpose of the study?? They could vote to give JSU $250,000 to study what it would take to build JSU a stadium then when the stadium study is finished a BARE MINIMUM of $40 million dies in committee??? At this point If we can just get a new press box and new field turf at memorial I'm good....LOL

The thing that really gets me is the amount of time it lasted in committee. Two days!!??? This seems like $250,000 wasted! Why waste time trying to do a study for a new stadium that I'm sure they had to KNOW would cost at least 90 million if no funding is going to get passed? Why even talk about UMMC expansion if the state was not going to help JSU move from the property... Not even $40 million.... NONE of this makes any sense at all...

I have so many questions I don't even know where to start. First UMMC claims that they want the land to expand the hospital for new jobs but it seems like every time funding for a new stadium for JSU is brought up it gets further and further behind. Second what is $40 Million going to help with?? to build a stadium the size that JSU needs would realistically be at least $200 million with today's construction cost. If they want the land to help UMMC expand why would they come up with $40 Million as (seed money) and then can't even agree on that!! They could vote to give JSU $250,000 for the study of the stadium last year and then when the study is finished and it's time for a vote to give JSU money towards a new stadium the bill dies in committee?? But yet they need that land for UMMC expansion?? WHAT??? LOL.....And lastly the location of this new stadium has had so many locations its crazy. First it's supposed to be put behind the school connecting to the downtown on university blvd, now according to this study the top 2 locations are on jefferson street across from WLBT news station but isn't that near the pearl river!? I thought we were trying to get the stadium on campus? LOL This seems like one big game..lol
you already know that is the art of double talk. Those yt legislators have that fork tongue and they knew it and we know it too.

My thing was what the hell was the purpose of the study. I assume to act like they tried. And the vet is dire need of renovations so either way they will have to give some money.
The same thing a lot of these bs studies are for when everyone knows what's needed...line someone's pockets

The dome concept is back alive. F*** the state. Jsu still good.
I wish like hell it was, but y'all can expect the bare min from the state on that. That will have to be privately financed cause the Great State of Mississippi will be damned if y'all get anything better than Ole Miss or Miss St.

But now if y'all could get the city of Jackson to stop fighting over the damn garbage collection and tag along and make this a joint venture to bring more events to the capital city and it could truly be a wonderful joint venture. But that's asking too much for the city to be progressive like that.

I wish like hell it was, but y'all can expect the bare min from the state on that. That will have to be privately financed cause the Great State of Mississippi will be damned if y'all get anything better than Ole Miss or Miss St.

But now if y'all could get the city of Jackson to stop fighting over the damn garbage collection and tag along and make this a joint venture to bring more events to the capital city and it could truly be a wonderful joint venture. But that's asking too much for the city to be progressive like that.
With the drama the city of Jackson has going on right now JSU would do good to steer clear of any major dealing with city until they can start functioning effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back