JSU football stadium study among state budget items

Status
Not open for further replies.
All those blighted areas around Jackson State. It would be very easy to find a site.
One large issue that came up when they built their sports and convocation center is the people that were displaced. I haven't been to the campus in a number of years, but I am sure that is still the case.

An urban university will always face the displacement dilemma when physical expansion is the goal. The surrounding community supports the university and should be compensated above market value. It’s the cost of doing business, but it doesn’t have to be unethical.

Reactions: J C
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The University Medical Center - controlled by Ole Miss - really wants that stadium property...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluPog8Fb38

This is common knowledge for those of us who live here in MS but they know that they can't force JSU to sell that land and not give them a new stadium (well they could and probably wouldn't care about backlash but they also know that they would get sued into oblivion)

If JSU got a 35-40K on campus stadium, they would have the best stadium in the state and probably move past USM as far as attendance is concerned AND the MHSAA football championship would be brought to Jackson which, again, is why they keep kicking the can down the road on this. They'd rather keep the Vet around as long as they can patching it up here and there to keep it underneath the big 2

Dr. Hudson stated in the WAPT article that the new stadium will be open air and not a dome. He said that the cost would be at least 80 Million. I really like the look of Houston's TDECU stadium. It cost $128 million and it holds 40,000 fans. I think that something on this style would really be really nice for us.

Last edited:

The JSU stadium plan is still in the beginning stages, but a study would give them something to work with, and that includes who would pay for this stadium. Hudson said the state won’t pay for it all, that would come from public and private support.

This is in Tennessee.
OOPS!!! WRONG MAP!!! Did he just April Fool himself??!

map GIF by Topshelf Records

I can see them under appraising the site and JSU now has to accept less which doesn't help much in building an on-campus stadium in terms of cost.
The JSU stadium plan is still in the beginning stages, but a study would give them something to work with, and that includes who would pay for this stadium. Hudson said the state won’t pay for it all, that would come from public and private support.
This may or may not be relevant at This point but a few years ago, I had a chance to chat with our AD at the time, WB, after a football game at AAMU (the year when our kicker won the game by kicking that fg in the final seconds of the game..). Well according to him a stadium site had already been chosen and the land for the stadium had been secured but the main problem was basically what our asking price was for the Vet and its surrounding land and what the State was offering. As I see it, we're still in the driver's seat and have time on our side. I personally have a couple other projects that I would like to have done before venturing into a campus stadium or maybe they could tie all those projects into one big package which are all long overdue.

This may or may not be relevant at This point but a few years ago, I had a chance to chat with our AD at the time, WB, after a football game at AAMU (the year when our kicker won the game by kicking that fg in the final seconds of the game..). Well according to him a stadium site had already been chosen and the land for the stadium had been secured but the main problem was basically what our asking price was for the Vet and its surrounding land and what the State was offering. As I see it, we're still in the driver's seat and have time on our side. I personally have a couple other projects that I would like to have done before venturing into a campus stadium or maybe they could tie all those projects into one big package which are all long overdue.
I agree.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I think that if the stadium is put directly behind the baseball field connecting into the downtown area, then that is the PERFECT spot because fans who stay downtown in a hotel really could walk to the stadium or by shuttle.

Are there plans to “revitalize” adjoining land around the proposed stadium with shopping and residential?
Sort of like Minnesota’s Stadium Village area.

Asking price for the Vet? guess I am confused. Are you saying, the asking price that JSU was offering for the Vet. Because the State still owns the Vet. It is just they have an agreement for JSU to manage it for their games. Prior to that, the stadium had their on people managing. that is how that SOB, cheated the attendance numbers down for the famous Alcorn/Vallye game or Rice/Totton vs Casem.

I Dnt see how this is true because In the contract when jsu gained soul responsibility of the vet it was a clause in there that said once jsu stadium was built ownership of the vet reverts back to state of Mississippi and can not be sold on the behalf of jsu. So not sure if your statement is true.

I Dnt see how this is true because In the contract when jsu gained soul responsibility of the vet it was a clause in there that said once jsu stadium was built ownership of the vet reverts back to state of Mississippi and can not be sold on the behalf of jsu. So not sure if your statement is true.
Like I said, I may be mistaken. I am followed but I know in the original process, that was the plan. Maybe our people step up and said no, we want ownership. But again, I think JSU needs a stadium on campus. A 40,000 seat stadium would be a good fit. People may not remember, but that was once the size of The Vet. Both ends were open.

Like I said, I may be mistaken. I am followed but I know in the original process, that was the plan. Maybe our people step up and said no, we want ownership. But again, I think JSU needs a stadium on campus. A 40,000 seat stadium would be a good fit. People may not remember, but that was once the size of The Vet. Both ends were open.
I agree I would love to see a stadium like university of Houston.

Asking price for the Vet? guess I am confused. Are you saying, the asking price that JSU was offering for the Vet. Because the State still owns the Vet. It is just they have an agreement for JSU to manage it for their games. Prior to that, the stadium had their on people managing. that is how that SOB, cheated the attendance numbers down for the famous Alcorn/Vallye game or Rice/Totton vs Casem.

Perhaps the terms I used were too literal (asking price....State was offering) and you are correct. According to MS Code 55-23-6 (2013): "Once Jackson State University relocates its home football games to another venue, the portion of Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium Property conveyed to Jackson State University under this subsection (1) shall be transferred to the University of Mississippi Medical Center."^ So what I was trying to get across is that we won't be able or willing to leave the Vet until a certain amount of funds are allocated by the State Legislature towards the project which will be a combination of public and private funds as @tiger85 noted in his post earlier. The study that is being commission should put all the cards on the table.
^https://law.justia.com/codes/mississippi/2013/title-55/chapter-23/section-55-23-6

Question ...

what’s the difference between this study and the one done a few years back?

Perhaps the terms I used were too literal (asking price....State was offering) and you are correct. According to MS Code 55-23-6 (2013): "Once Jackson State University relocates its home football games to another venue, the portion of Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium Property conveyed to Jackson State University under this subsection (1) shall be transferred to the University of Mississippi Medical Center."^ So what I was trying to get across is that we won't be able or willing to leave the Vet until a certain amount of funds are allocated by the State Legislature towards the project which will be a combination of public and private funds as @tiger85 noted in his post earlier. The study that is being commission should put all the cards on the table.
^https://law.justia.com/codes/mississippi/2013/title-55/chapter-23/section-55-23-6
I see now and that is much clearer and sorta what I understood. That JSU had the right to use and operate the stadium as it owned it, but once it stopped using it, for whatever reason, it reverted back. I didn't know that it would automatically go to the Medical Center however. Thanks for making it clearer. I do know that is one of the reasons the Alcorn ended the Classic in that they would be playing every year in JSU's home. On a humorous note, I remember the Classic game, where the guy on the JSU mike, put the JSU President on the spot by saying some, let's say, some not so nice things about some Alcorn performers. Had to come back and say that was not the words of JSU. I always wondered what happen to him as I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for the meeting between him and the President.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back