MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Despite seven walks, two hit batters, and an error that totaled 10 baserunners, the Memphis Tigers (19-19, 4-8) didn’t tally a hit and were blanked 2-0 by the Arkansas – Pine Bluff Golden Lions (9-26-1, 5-10). The Tigers left at least one runner in scoring position in the fourth, fifth, sixth, and ninth innings, as four Golden Lions pitchers combined on the no-hitter in a 2-0 win.
WP: Mike Gerwitz (2-2)
LP: JT Durham (0-3)
SV: Brandon Little (1)
How it happened:
- Durham worked around a one-out double in each of the first two innings, which kept the game scoreless
- Consecutive singles by the Golden Lions opened the third and led to two runs, one on a passed ball and another on an RBI groundout by 3B Karsten Vazquez, as UAPB led 2-0 after 2.5 innings
- Memphis picked up a walk in each of the first four innings and an HBP in the fifth, but couldn’t crack RHP Andrew Duran (ND) and Gerwitz
- The Tigers loaded the bases against LHP Rocky King in the sixth on a walk and then a two-out walk and HBP, but King got C Taylor Howell to fly out to the wall in right field to keep UAPB in front 2-0
- King worked a perfect seventh inning, while Little worked a 1-2-3 eighth frame
- In the ninth, 1B Chris Swanbergbrought the tying run to the plate after he reached on an error, while Sterling Turmon drew a pinch-hit walk that brought the winning run to the plate, but King got PH Ben Higdon to fly out to left field to secure the 2-0 Golden Lions win.
Courtesy: Memphis Athletics