ITTA BENA – Mississippi Valley State unveiled its plans Thursday morning to renovate and expand the R.W. Harrison HPER Complex.
The renovation of the existing facility will consist of exterior repairs, life safety upgrades and accessibility upgrades. The HPER Complex, which is the home site for MVSU volleyball and basketball games, has not been renovated or upgrades since its construction in 1977.
Renovations are slated to begin in the fall. During the renovations, the MVSU women’s volleyball team will host its games in the Charles Lackey Building on campus. A decision has not been finalized regarding where the MVSU men’s and women’s basketball teams will play its home games during the renovation phase. Plans are in place for the teams to play in the new arena beginning in 2015.
The $17.5 million project will give the university another sustainable asset to use for recruiting and retaining students. The state-of-the-art facility will include classrooms and equipment, as well as a health and wellness center to promote healthy lifestyles and quality of life.
The facility will include:
- Three technology HPER classrooms that will accommodate approximately 35 students each
- Office space for HPER staff
- Weight training room
- Cardio Workout Room & Studio
- A concourse that will double as a walking track
- Bleachers in the arena will retract to accommodate four HPER instructional courts
- More than 2,700 seats for athletic events
- More than 2,800 seats for an end stage event and commencement exercises
- Home men’s and women’s locker rooms
- Home women’s volleyball locker room
- Visitor locker rooms
- Recreational locker rooms
- Officials’ Locker/Green Room
- Spectator’s restrooms and concessions
- 87,042 total sq. ft.
Courtesy: MVSU Sports Information