Pine Bluff, Ark. – Three-time All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selection and University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff offensive tackle, Terron Armstead, was selected with the No. 75 pick in the third round by the New Orleans Saints during the 2013 NFL Draft.
The announcement was made during the live coverage on ESPN on Friday at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
Armstead (6’5, 306 lbs) becomes the 504th player from a SWAC member institution taken in the NFL Draft and the first player since 2011.
To cap his collegiate career, he helped lead UAPB to the 2012 SWAC Football Championship title, its second conference title overall in football. He helped UAPB finish first in the SWAC rushing offense (204.7 ypg) and second in sacks against. In his senior season, he started all 12 games, playing in a total of 32 games during his career.
At the 2013 NFL Combine, Armstead ran a remarkably fast 4.71 sec 40-yard dash, which is the fastest 40 yard dash time of any offensive lineman at the combine since it first began in 1982.
Armstead is also an eight-time individual champion in indoor and outdoor track & field.
SWAC in the NFL Draft Notes – Armstead
• The last player from the SWAC selected during the NFL Draft – Frank Kearse (DT – Alabama A&M – 2011 – Miami Dolphins)
• The last offensive lineman selected from the SWAC in the NFL Draft – Courtney Van Buren (G – Arkansas-Pine Bluff – 2003 – San Diego Chargers)
• Van Buren is also the last player to be drafted out of UAPB going as the 80th pick overall in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft
• Armstead becomes the 52nd lineman and the 37th offensive tackle selected from the SWAC
• The last offensive tackle from a SWAC member school selected in the NFL Draft – Toby Myles (T – Jackson State – 1998 – New York Giants). Myles was selected in the fifth round, 147th overall.
• Armstead joins notable UAPB draft picks such as Chris Akins (Green Bay Packers – 1999) and L.C. Greenwood (Pittsburgh Steelers – 1969)