The Southwestern Athletic Conference announced its football players of the week for games played Saturday, September 18.
Offensive Player of the Week
Frank Warren – RB, Grambling State (5-9, 200, Sr., Pleasant Grove, Ala.)
Warren carried the ball 16 times for 256 yards and 2 touchdowns to lead Grambling past Jackson State, 28-21. His 256 is the highest total in the NCAA this season by 35 yards in a single game.
- Casey Therriault (QB, JKST) – Threw for 346 yards and 1 TD; also ran for 38 yards and 2 TDs.
- Joe Anderson (WR, TXSO) – Caught 6 passes for 162 yards and 1 TD.
- Donald Babers (RB, PVAM) – Rushed 23 times for 81 yards and 1 TD.
Defensive Player of the Week
Shomari Clemons – LB, Texas Southern (6-2, 235, Jr., West Monroe, La)
Clemons had 11 total tackles (4 solo), including 4.0 tackles-for-loss for 18 yards and 1.0 sacks for 5 yards. Helped lead the Tigers to a 32-9 victory in their home opener over Alabama A&M.
- Desmond Lenard (DB, GRAM) – Recorded 7 total tackles (5 solo) and 2 breakups, including the final play of the game.
- Jimmy Daniels (DE, ALST) – Had 6 total tackles, along with 2.5 tackles-for-loss and 2.0 sacks.
- Kerry Hoskins (DB, JKST) – Team-high 9 tackles (5 solo) with an interception and return for 30 yards.
Special Teams Player of the Week
Andrew Lyons – PK, Alabama State (5-8, 170, Jr., Panama City, Fla.)
Lyons hit a career-long 47-yard field goal with :23 remaining to give Alabama State an 18-15 win at Prairie View. He also remained perfect on the season in PAT kicks hitting his only attempt. He is now 4-6 on the season in field goal attempts.
- Chance Wilson (P/PK, AAMU) – Hit 3-3 field goals and averaged 40.3 yards on 7 punts with a long of 57.
- Garland Harris (DB, PVAM) – Logged 5 solo tackles and a fumble recovery on special teams.
- Kiare Thompson (PR, UAPB) – Averaged 20.0 yards per punt return on 3 attempts.
Newcomer of the Week
Marquis Jackson – DE, Texas Southern (6-5, 275, So., Inglewood, Calif.)
Jackson had 12 total tackles, including 2.5 tackles-for-loss for 8 yards and 1.0 sacks for 4 yards in helping lead Texas Southern to a 32-9 victory over Alabama A&M in the home opener for the Tigers.
- Renty Rollins (TE, JKST) – Caught 5 passes for 44 yards and 1 TD.
Leave a Reply