Lake Charles, La. – A funny thing happened on the way home from China and the Women’s World Cup for Belinda Kanda. She returned just in time to lead Alabama A&M to heights it had not yet reached in women’s soccer. A&M captured its second SWAC women’s soccer title Sunday with a 2-1 victory over Mississippi Valley State. Kanda scored both goals and was named SWAC Tournament MVP. In winning the league tournament, the Bulldogs secure their first-ever NCAA Tournament berth. The tournament field will be announced on Monday night.
Alabama A&M struck first when Kanda took the pass from Alberta Annan and scored in the 19th minute of play. She would take a Ledile Matjekane pass and score in the 23rd minute to give Alabama A&M a 2-0 lead.
Mississippi Valley would get on the board when Pella Hand found Apolonia Kukla on the right side of the field in the 33rd minute of action. At the intermission, the Bulldogs led 2-1.
The second half saw both teams pressure on both ends, but no one would score in the final period.
Tournament Most Outstanding Player – Belinda Kanda, Alabama A&M
SWAC Women’s Soccer Coach of the Year – Frank Davies, Alabama A&M
The 2007 SWAC Soccer All-Tournament Team:
- Alabama A&M – Rachel Sepeng
- Alabama A&M – Belinda Kanda
- Alabama A&M – Alberta Annan
- Miss. Valley State – Amanda Blaede
- Miss. Valley State – Kate Johnston
- Miss. Valley State – Maria Del Guercio
- Jackson State – Germaine Tuckett
- Grambling State – Ashley Baker
- Prairie View A&M – Angelica Diaz
- Southern – Almarie Soto-Ortiz