Top 5 HBCU Dance Lines 2015

View attachment 3297

Man those 2 ladies are sooooo light skinned.

LOL. Man these cats have no clue to what was going on at SU. Most were not even thinking about colleges back then as they were too young to know what was going on. Dude just typing to be typing. Hell what they need to do is concentrate on their own band history and not worry about SU's. Our's is legendary and well documented. When your band director is interviewed on ABC's 20/20 and countless other national programs. You know what the deal is.

Anyway, this thread was supposed to be about the current top 5 HBCU dance teams. Not who Doc picked for Dancing Dolls. LOL.

No he didn't. Doc had no love for Bands in the South. None of those PWCs. He thought all of them and their girls sucked. LOL. He along with the ladies he had at Southern University High started the dance team thing. Once he became Band Director in 69, he brought them over to SU a few years later. It is well documented and the Dolls history is well documented. Those First Dolls come back every year and for the information a lot of them are dark complexion. More than half of the first Dolls were. SMH.

092009dollsone.jpg
JR, those two light skinned girls (#1, #5) don't look too happy. I think they devised the plan to get rid of all of the dark skinned sistas or demanded that they wear leggings that make them look light skinned..

And most people probably didn't know that Doc kept a gun on him. Doc wasn't taking any mess from nobody.

Remember Doc shot a mofo back in the 90s at one of his hotels. Dude pulled a knife out trying to rob him or his employee. Doc shot that mofo.

Doc was no punk. Miss talking to the black man. He would keep you rolling. Got to give him his due. Everything he said would happen when you got in the real world after college. He shole was right. I still live by a lot of his wisdom and philosophy he bestowed on us.

JR, those two light skinned girls (#1, #5) don't look too happy. I think they devised the plan to get rid of all of the dark skinned sistas or demanded that they wear leggings that make them look light skinned..

Man those ladies loved Doc. Trust me. They all followed him from SU Lab to SU. So those ladies all were friends and grew up together. They come back every year at Homecoming and they are a close nit group. When Doc retired and had his last homecoming, the band room was packed with old school dolls from the 70s. All shades of black. LOL.

Remember Doc shot a mofo back in the 90s at one of his hotels. Dude pulled a knife out trying to rob him or his employee. Doc shot that mofo.

Doc was no punk. Miss talking to the black man. He would keep you rolling. Got to give him his due. Everything he said would happen when you got in the real world after college. He shole was right. I still live by a lot of his wisdom and philosophy he bestowed on us.

I still remembered my crab year when a gay dude tried to sue the band and the university for being beat up by the freshmen in the band. Nothing came of that lawsuit once Doc got involved and found out why he was beat up. I can still hear Doc saying, "y'all did the right thing and if he or she does it again, whip his or her ass again". LOL!!! Basically, Doc was like, don't let anyone try to take away your manhood. When Doc finds out the truth about something and realizes that the band didn't start a fight, he was 100% behind the band kicking some asses. And Doc wasn't afraid of the SU's administration like some band directors probably are. Doc used to keep us laughing when he talked about all the people working in the administration office that did nothing.

Last edited:
IMO, the classy part about Doc was his recognition of what was appropriate and what was not, such as the 1997 Presidential Inauguration Parade. While all the other HBCU bands played some pop tune and shook their asses in front of the Presidential viewing stands, SU simply marched by to the famous Louisiana jazz tune "Bourbon Street". Just by the expressions of those in the viewing stand, one can see that they really enjoyed SU's band and were thoroughly entertained, especially Clinton, since New Orleans jazz music was probably his favorite type of music.

IMO, to sum up Doc in two words, he was a RUTHLESS GENTLEMAN, if there is such a man. Doc didn't take any shit, but he know exactly how to act when required.

Last edited:
I still remembered my crab year when a gay dude tried to sue the band and the university for being beat up by the freshmen in the band. Nothing came of that lawsuit once Doc got involved and found out why he was beat up. I can still hear Doc saying, "y'all did the right thing and if he or she does it again, whip his or her ass again". LOL!!! Basically, Doc was like, don't let anyone try to take away your manhood. When Doc finds out the truth about something and realizes that the band didn't start a fight, he was 100% behind the band kicking some asses. And Doc wasn't afraid of the SU's administration like some band directors probably are. Doc used to keep us laughing when he talked about all the people working in the administration office that did nothing.

You are right. That also happened with the crab class in 85 or 86. Then one crab class got into it with the baseball team and someone went through a window. It wasn't a crab either. LOL.

Like I said, things were different in the 80s. At all schools. Especially with us at SU. Dudes literally feared cats in the Juke. For good reason. Hell I was leery of some of them myself when I first got there. LOL.

IMO, the classy part about Doc was his recognition of what was appropriate and what was not, such as the 1997 Presidential Inauguration Parade. While all the other HBCU bands played some pop tune and shook their asses in front of the Presidential viewing stands, SU simply marched by to the famous Louisiana jazz tune "Bourbon Street". Just by the expressions of those in the viewing stand, one can see that they really enjoyed SU's band and were thoroughly entertained, especially Clinton, since New Orleans jazz music was probably his favorite type of music.

Clinton had visited the band and Doc when he was campaigning. Doc had the invite even before Clinton won. LOL. There are pictures on the internet of Doc and Bill Clinton just having fun.

Also, Doc was politically engaged too. Him and former Louisiana Governor Edwin Edwards were tight.

He had the red phone in his office. Always said that was his line to the Governor. Yep Doc was a politician. No doubt about that.

Hampton University has a dance team "Ebony Fire." Although JSU may have been the first, Ebony Fire is technically better. Ebony Fire has higher kicks, turns, leaps and have a very selective group of dancers.

If you are interested in seeing an amazing team of ladies, check out Hampton University's Ebony Fire in the fall

If not, there's a place called Little Darlings in Las Vegas, NV. Tell them I sent you and they'd gladly offer kicks for free. I'm an elite dancer, not a showgirl. Have a ball!

If you are interested in seeing an amazing team of ladies, check out Hampton University's Ebony Fire in the fall

If not, there's a place called Little Darlings in Las Vegas, NV. Tell them I sent you and they'd gladly offer kicks for free. I'm an elite dancer, not a showgirl. Have a ball!

Vegas was my second home when I lived in Los Angeles.

Hey Jai,

Show us your ELITE promo. This young lady here has a bachelor degree and 2 minors and she's from New York too. I'm sure a Hampton girl can do better than that.

Obama-bucks-animated-money-gif.gif

Last edited:
Back