Sheila Jackson Lee Gets Blown Out

Just thought of one more reason she lost. Her emphasis is in the 18th congressional district. The 18th does not encompass the entire city of Houston. The 18th probably showed up big for her but enough to out weigh the entire city

Just thought of one more reason she lost. Her emphasis is in the 18th congressional district. The 18th does not encompass the entire city of Houston. The 18th probably showed up big for her but not enough to out weigh the entire city.
Yep, that's what I meant earlier about where her core constituency is located. In order for her to win required an effort she wasn't willing to put forth.

The 18th has been a safe district a long time for her. The last time she had a real challenge in the 18th and had to really campaign was never.

Ok, I understand what you are saying, and your points are well taken. But, Yall know as well as I do, that when they say "tough on crime", they will target us first. Stop and frisk/search for example. Heavy handed tactics by the police. My question is, are we prepared to deal with this without saying police brutality? I guess what I am asking, is when you say "tough on crime", exactly what does that mean?

You already know the answer to that.

Tough on Crime says you are going to do whatever it takes Legally (or TRY to be legal) to solve it.
It means ignoring the gray area of an issue. Kid finds a knife and turns it in-he goes to jail just as fast as a kid with a knife looking to kill someone.

People are getting tired of Pookie shooting up the hood and cops show up and do their "job" and here come the protests.

It gets to a point the black community has to deal with it's OWN problems.

Just thought of one more reason she lost. Her emphasis is in the 18th congressional district. The 18th does not encompass the entire city of Houston. The 18th probably showed up big for her but not enough to out weigh the entire city.
And you are correct. She carried her congressional district in the mayor election. However, she did not win in too many other areas. And when those tapes were release, she got more votes of 'no we don't want her" versus Whitmire "we want him". Than she was caught in a lie where she stated that she had the endorsement of former mayor Lee Brown. But Brown had already endorsed Whitmire. And she was called out on that. That did it for my vote.

Back