Roots: Official Trailer | Premieres Memorial Day 2016 | History

I see a few, well a number of differences than the book. If memory serves me correct there was nothing mentioned in the book about Kunta fighting with the British. Yet, the book was extensive read concerning the African history.

Fiddler kills two before being killed himself. I done lost count of Kunta's kills. Definitely a different Roots.

Yep, they would have been strung up for touching a white man.

Our history was far more than a mere 400 years. It's more than 40,000 years plus, but we won't hear much about that part of our majestic history pre-colonialism.

But this is not about our history, it's about the geneology of Alex Haley's family.

Being that Alex Haley's Roots was not 100% factual, it's ok for the new series to deviate every now and then. It's still staying true to the lineage and touching on other historical events, i.e. the Jackson vs. Johnson election, Nat Turner and slave uprisings....the escaped slaves who fought for The British. History has us thinking that Lincoln just sympathized and gave Black slaves freedom. We fought for and ultimately earned our freedom. Look at the Seminole Wars and The Gullah Wars.....Andrew Jackson caught hell with slaves. Lincoln knew he couldn't win a Civil War if he couldn't get Black soldiers to join The Union.

Reactions: J C
But this is not about our history, it's about the geneology of Alex Haley's family.
In theory it's supposed to be about Haley, but that's not true. It's about slavery.
We've had enough movies about slavery and how Black folks have been suffering under the feet of White folks for hundreds of years. Who don't know that by now?
This series is nothing more than White folks showing how we were slaves and they were slaveowners.
To make the movie less racist, they added bits and pieces of supposed individual success stories, while the overwhelming number of Black folks still were slaves.

It's about slavery.
We've had enough movies about slavery and how Black folks have been suffering under the feet of White folks for hundreds of years. Who don't know that by now?

By the way many of us act, a whole hell of a lot of people.

Should we be ashamed of our slave past? Or should we be like the Jews and burn onto our children and their children's hearts, "NEVER AGAIN ". America's shame should be thrown in her face as much as possible. How the hell you refuse to help the people who helped build this country, but bend over backwards for"so called" Jews across the Atlantic Ocean?
No sir, make more movies, throw in Nat Turner, The Stono Rebellion, and Toussaint L'Ouverture as well. I'd like to see Frederick Douglas kick some ass on the big screen (and he was sent to a n****r breaking camp, but he did the breaking).

By the way many of us act, a whole hell of a lot of people.

Should we be ashamed of our slave past? Or should we be like the Jews and burn onto our children and their children's hearts, "NEVER AGAIN ". America's shame should be thrown in her face as much as possible. How the hell you refuse to help the people who helped build this country, but bend over backwards for"so called" Jews across the Atlantic Ocean?
No sir, make more movies, throw in Nat Turner, The Stono Rebellion, and Toussaint L'Ouverture as well. I'd like to see Frederick Douglas kick some ass on the big screen (and he was sent to a n****r breaking camp, but he did the breaking).

I agree. So many people do not want to see it but it should be shown. They should show how black female slaves were raped. They should show how the slavemaster bought other slaves to bread. What slaves went through to even make the middle passage.

Hell I have slave ancestors and Native American ancestors and reading their stories keeps me focused on what I need to do.

Kids thes days take so much shit for granted. They expect everything to be given to them and some of that is their parents's fault for not pushing them to learn more about who THEY are rather what someone else WANTS them to be.

How many times do you want to see your people on the bottom over and over and over? There are enough slavery movies to last a lifetime but very few movies showing our successes before and after slavery. I'd rather see those. I've seen enough slave movies.
And the position of so-called Jews can nowhere be compared to the experience of Black people. Their plight only lasted four years, while slavery went on for 400 years.

I finally got to episode 4 tonight. This version of Roots contextualized the resistance I hoped to see month(s) before when it was being advertised. Also, I think this version of Roots conceptualized ancestral worship in a way I've never seen before. The theme of ancestral worship was very strong. Levar Burton, Forrest Whitaker and Laurence Fishburne had a plenty to say on those issues/topics I bet.

On another note, I wonder what the late John Henrik Clarke, John Hope Franklin and Chancellor Williams would have had to say about this version of Roots.

Last edited:
How many times do you want to see your people on the bottom over and over and over? There are enough slavery movies to last a lifetime but very few movies showing our successes before and after slavery. I'd rather see those. I've seen enough slave movies.

Since we're talking about "I ", I don't think it goes deep enough. We haven't really seen the attacks on the villages, the real "death marches" from the interior to the coast, the seasoning process, the things that were done to put fear into pregnant black women so that the child would be born afraid and more docile (so they believed ). There is a lot that we still haven't seen.
I still say people don't ask the Jews to stop and if you do say anything about the Jews that could be the end of your career.

Everyone is going to go through something in their life and there comes a time that you have to look back for the strength to move forward.

Sometimes we need refreshers to refocus.

Since we're talking about "I ", I don't think it goes deep enough. We haven't really seen the attacks on the villages, the real "death marches" from the interior to the coast, the seasoning process, the things that were done to put fear into pregnant black women so that the child would be born afraid and more docile (so they believed ). There is a lot that we still haven't seen.
I still say people don't ask the Jews to stop and if you do say anything about the Jews that could be the end of your career.

Everyone is going to go through something in their life and there comes a time that you have to look back for the strength to move forward.

You're right, it didn't go as deep. I guess they could have done more, but I think you have to be careful of too much content if you're zeroing in on a particular theme or themes.

I also understand your point about the determination of Jews as it pertains to the holocaust because I have similar sentiments about white southerners and their veneration for the confederacy as witnessed by all the confederate statues, monuments, museums, reenactments and schools named after confederate soldiers throughout the south.

Jews make like the whole world was responsible for their plight during World War 2, when it was the Germans. They do that to continue to get money from whole nations that had nothing to do with their situation.

As far as refreshers, let's see how many slavery movies have been out:
Birth of A Nation, Django Unchained, Goodbye Uncle Tom, Amazing Grace, Song of the South, Roots (and the many spinoffs), Burn, The Last Supper, Brother Future, The Legend of n****r Charley, Unchained Memories, 500 Years Later, Amistad, A Woman Called Moses, Gone With the Wind, Belle, Glory, Enslavement, Slavery By Another Name, Mandingo, I Am Slave, Beloved, Lincoln, Slaves, Nightjohn, Adanggaman.
I'm sure there are more that I'm not familiar with.

Now how many more reminders do we need? Our history, present and future consists far more than just slavery.

Last edited:
I just finished watching X Men: Apocalypse. I can't even watched that without being reminded of the Jewish holocaust and the lie that the Egyptians (Kemites) were white. Do you honestly think that the 4th anniversary of Schindler 's is not going to be "off the chain "?

What American story can you tell without slavery?

Jews make like the whole world was responsible for their plight during World War 2, when it was the Germans. They do that to continue to get money from whole nations that had nothing to do with their situation.

As far as refreshers, let's see how many slavery movies have been out:
Birth of A Nation, Django Unchained, Goodbye Uncle Tom, Amazing Grace, Song of the South, Roots (and the many spinoffs), Burn, The Last Supper, Brother Future, The Legend of n****r Charley, Unchained Memories, 500 Years Later, Amistad, A Woman Called Moses, Gone With the Wind, Belle, Glory, Enslavement, Slavery By Another Name, Mandingo, I Am Slave, Beloved, Lincoln, Slaves, Nightjohn, Adanggaman.
I'm sure there are more that I'm not familiar with.

Now how many more reminders do we need? Our history, present and future consists far more than just slavery.

1. Gone with the Wind was NOT a "slavery movie," neither was Song of the South (the animated version).
2. Lincoln wasn't a "slavery movie." It was a Lincoln biopic.
3. You forgot about Sounder lol

Just because the movie depicts the era of slavery and post-Antebellum Southern living does NOT make it a "slavery movie". Also, are you breaking down TV movies/miniseries from proper big-screen movies. Brother Future was a PBS movie and Roots was a TV miniseries. Beloved was confusing as hell LOL.

3085b72aa36e7ed1cdf467c15f318933.jpg

Alex Haley with the Black Superman

Back