Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2015-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't these guys supposed to turn they're backs or something? And they showed up at a book reading festival. I see they support Ole Miss too.o_O

11903708_10154164404104097_4264206378732463114_n.jpg

Wow.

Soooo
What are they now??

Were they technical this past Saturday....better yet, have they been technical the past 5 or so years...cuz the arrangements are so elementary it's sad..

Let's see if we can get the boom back to that place you speak about..that's all I'm saying

Pull me up something the boom played "THIS YEAR" that's seeing that Dru Hill, if you can't do that

go away fast, we have nothing to talk about, yo band aint even seeing that arrangement and that's not even SU best tune...so again...holla at me when yo band get to SU's platform..

I told you that you're living off the name...it spills all in your posts..as you revert back to the past..dude what are yall doing now..Not a dayum thing but living off that name..Lol..

Cuz what I heard besides that Foxy joint, the rest of that stuff was trash...but some think it was A1 sauce...

As of now, NO BAND IS MATCHING ANYTHING SU IS BRINGING TO THE TABLE

Go back and watch yo band's halftime show and ask yourself if you're 100% proud of that...if you are, then LMAO @ you
you are retarded.. JSU played a song saturday night that was better dru hill song, technically. That Jupiter is wayyyy more technical. I'm done responding to your foolery! Smh.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SIVAD was a bad man. Different.

Roy Johnson was the best arranger I have seen in the SWAC. If you talk to Taylor, Adams, and if Doc was alive they would echo those sentiments. But yeah SIVAD was on some other stuff in the 70s. Big Band sounds.
Davis vs Johnson... Ummmmm idk. Davis was damn great. He was Cab calloway arranger Lol. But yeah I know about Roy Johnson... He was great.

That "Let it Burn" was poo...

What the hell were yall thinking

They didn't play Let it burn they played Nice and Slow by Usher. Please stfu nobody takes your comments seriously especially real musicians. You probably don't even know how to play a B flat scale and you're in here trying to discuss bands. Just say you hate JSU and spare the rest of the garbage smh

They didn't play Let it burn they played Nice and Slow by Usher. Please stfu nobody takes your comments seriously especially real musicians. You probably don't even know how to play a B flat scale and you're in here trying to discuss bands. Just say you hate JSU and spare the rest of the garbage smh

They played Let It Burn by Jazmine Sullivan in the 5th. But you're spot on about the rest of your post lol. He doesn't realize how foolish he sounds trying so hard to press his opinion on others but ain't getting nowhere. Its a crying shame honestly lol.

They played Let It Burn by Jazmine Sullivan in the 5th. But you're spot on about the rest of your post lol. He doesn't realize how foolish he sounds trying so hard to press his opinion on others but ain't getting nowhere. Its a crying shame honestly lol.

I stand corrected but still nothing in the 5th JSU played was weak. This guy big head doesn't know jack shit about marching bands. Takes the opinions of a few real musicians and JSU haters to formulate a post. JR and the rest of the old heads won't even cosign this guy because they know better lol

I don't think either bamd sounded bad. These are clearly the 2 best HBCU bands in the stands. I just preferred what SU brought. I loved Welcome to the Jungle. Jupiter was good too, though. Didn't care for the Usher.

Its comments like these that can be respected. Trash talk is good and all but sometimes you gotta keep it real. Especially when Both bands handled business.

& until this day.....I have never heard one swac band director that can arrange better than Professor William W. Davis!!!! If u don't know who that is bighead...look it up fool. Lol.
That street ninja doesn't know anything about that kind of history. Would you expect someone with a name like Bighead to have that kind of knowledge?

I don't think either bamd sounded bad. These are clearly the 2 best HBCU bands in the stands. I just preferred what SU brought. I loved Welcome to the Jungle. Jupiter was good too, though. Didn't care for the Usher.
Much respect to you my brother for keeping it real!

Most HBCU band directors back in the days were great. Conrad "Hutch" Hutchinson was one of the greats. IMO, SU kept one of the longest running legacies with great arrangers. A lot of that had to do with SU's music program and the late jazz musician and clarinetist Alvin Baptiste.

Several well-known musicians studied under Batiste while at Southern University. They include Bradford Marsalis, Randy Jackson(American Idol), his brother Herman, Donald Harrison, Henry Butler, Charlie Singleton (Cameo), Ronald Myers and Woodie Douglas (Spirit).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Batiste

Also, from what I'm hearing, Prairie View's band is much improved, now that the director who's from my home town and marched 4 years in SU's band and later graduated from Norfolk State has hired Jr's crab brother Ralph Chapman who also graduated and marched in SU's band as one of their arrangers. IMO, Ralph was a very humble and sharp dude when it came to music. I never understood why Alabama State didn't keep him as their band director. I'm sure he could have improved their arrangements and he was from Alabama.

Hold on so southern had the better show ? But they recycled that same drill from last years bayou classic and just played a new drill song over it... But that's none of my business though... Psssh out drilled haha very amusing how you su fans twist and turn.
That was a different drill, same concept but different formation. And out-drilling someone has nothing to do with whether the drill was performed in previous years.

Last edited:
They've been twisting things for years! And some of these others commenting wouldn't know a instrument if it slapped them in the face. Sometimes it's best to stick to things you're familiar with and from some of these comments,some of these people don't know anything about a marching band. Su has a lot of nut riders 2!!!
Well I know what I'm talking about, and JSU's drill tempo was much too slow. JSU sounded very shaky on that drill tune, but sounded great on the ballad. I think they should have chosen another ballad that would have engaged the crowd better than Who Do I Run To. Just because someone likes SU's show better doesn't make them a nut rider.

Even if a drill is recycled(only the concept of step 1 into a step 2 back to a step 1 was recycled the formations made were different), that doesn't change the fact that the energy level,execution, and crowd engagement was much better from SU. And before you say it was because it was at SU, you only need to watch 2014 to see SU do the same thing at JSU while performing to your pressbox and home crowd.

Well I know what I'm talking about, and JSU's drill tempo was much too slow. JSU sounded very shaky on that drill tune, but sounded great on the ballad. I think they should have chosen another ballad that would have engaged the crowd better than Who Do I Run To. Just because someone likes SU's show better doesn't make them a nut rider.

Even if a drill is recycled(only the concept of step 1 into a step 2 back to a step 1 was recycled the formations made were different), that doesn't change the fact that the energy level,execution, and crowd engagement was much better from SU. And before you say it was because it was at SU, you only need to watch 2014 to see SU do the same thing at JSU while performing to your pressbox and home crowd.
Understood!!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Bighead... U still being retarded...& u don't know swac band history dude...smh. Don't u know the Boom used to be once of the most technical arranging bands ever back in the day....especially under the old guard...Of directors like Davis, Haughton & Taylor. That Dru hill song was good, but the Boom have arramgements to songs in they back catalog that will blow ya mind technically! I like they pleayed that Jupiter & do u remember me....arranged by D. Taylor. Man was a beast! Maybe Little will bring more of those out & write a few new ones....I assure u, JSU has the staff to compete with SU in arrangements!

Add James Holden to that list, he is a helluva arranger!
news-n-coffee.gif

Last edited:
you are retarded.. JSU played a song saturday night that was better dru hill song, technically. That Jupiter is wayyyy more technical. I'm done responding to your foolery! Smh.

Lol @ technically, Dude go away...That Jupiter isn't seeing the technical songs SU played in the 5th LMAO
You can be done.."good for you" still doesn't save face for that halftime performance...
Again you reach all the way in the 90s/80s to talk about old JSU...we in 2015 LOL...
stop living off that name and do something...
All that big talk about this and that and haven't done shat..Tenn.ST out played you cornballs LMAO..

Look this shat here..you so caught up in your feelings you didn't even know they played the dayum song..smh LOL
You can tell the arrangement wasn't hitting on shat..you didn't even recall the song being played and you was so called at the dayum game LOL..

I couldn't care less about JSU, I do know one thing, yall not the 2nd best sounding band in the SWAC and I do know other bands have caught up to yall
Just look at that poll, yall are 4th or some shat..LOL..I guess they hating on yall too huh LMAO..

Show me a poll with black bands that ranks SU 4th or even 3rd..I'll wait..

LIke I said..folks starting to realize all that big talk that yall do aint worth shat...I don't even know why yall cornballs do that shat every year only to get that ass creased by SU LOL..

Yall can say how foolish I sound, IDAF..my opinion LOL...I couldn't care less what yall think..but yall reading my shat though and it's touching souls LMAO...got you cornballs typing hard and shat..(man take it easy)

But like I stated, and I made a thread about it...stop living off yall name and big talk..yall lay duds..
The Foxy Brown was nice..other than that...*yawns*

Go listen to that Usher Nice and Slow and ask yourself if that's a banger LOL....please do if you think it is..then LMAO @ you..
smh..

Dudes in here bringing up old staff members..LOL man what yall got on the staff TODAY..talk about them and why they haven't put any bangers out or why hasn't the boom so call ran through the SWAC as folks were stating LMAO...
I don't wanna hear about the "old boom" yall aint doing nothing worth talking about now..so miss me with the old legend arrangers...They not walking through the bandroom anytime soon...LMAO...

I stand corrected but still nothing in the 5th JSU played was weak. This guy big head doesn't know jack shit about marching bands. Takes the opinions of a few real musicians and JSU haters to formulate a post. JR and the rest of the old heads won't even cosign this guy because they know better lol

Dude you really think IGAF about what other folks thoughts are concerning what I post LOL..or who cosign me..LOL dude you got me f up...
I never gave a 1 single f about folks cosigning me about anything I post on this board, so let's clear that up now.....I couldn't care less..but I see that you look for conformation from folks (over the dayum internet) smh...
I know enough to know that poo ass Usher Nice and Slow wasn't hitting on shat...LOL..I know that folk..f a B scale..
yall need to pratice and get a melody in that Nice and Slow song...

I made a honest effort to understand some of this stuff yall are talking about. It is pretty clear to me that Bands aren't my expertise and will never be. I just like to see the majorettes shake azz.

Hold on so southern had the better show ? But they recycled that same drill from last years bayou classic and just played a new drill song over it... But that's none of my business though...
Psssh out drilled haha very amusing how you su fans twist and turn.

Ok. Let's do some fact checking.

In response to the comment about SU doing the same drill, you may look at the beginning and see the opening Step 1 drill from last year. But they immediately broke into a different drill (actually a step 2 from the middle of the step 1). The "Step 1" that you all saw from last year was but a "piece" of the entire drill. VERY different drill. If you can't see that, then I don't know what is the problem other than pure dislike. It's like folks use to always say, "SU always does the "circle" drill. Are you kidding me? The circle was clearly a "setup/staging" to an actual drill (star, boxes, blossoming flower, sunburst, etc.). That's about as stupid as me saying, "JSU always do that "floating JSU" drill.

If it is the exact same drill, you are more than welcome to point out to me .
It is obvious that some people see and hear only what they want to see and hear.
(2014)
1:50 - 3:01

(2015)

1:15 - 2:45

Last edited:
I don't think either band sounded bad. These are clearly the 2 best HBCU bands in the stands. I just preferred what SU brought. I loved Welcome to the Jungle. Jupiter was good too, though. Didn't care for the Usher.

I agree. I think we sounded good and better on certain songs and then I think SU sounded good and better on certain songs. Welcome to the Jungle was good. Feels good to be older and reply to someone with some common sense and maturity unlike some idiots on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back