Top 5 HBCU Dance Lines 2015

[QUOTE="Blacknbengal, post: 2403351, member: ]Wait, UAPB dancers are called "Golden girls" too?

It's very disrespectful and UAPB should be embarrassed by using that name[/QUOTE]
LSU's dancers are called the Golden Girls too.

It's very disrespectful and UAPB should be embarrassed by using that name
LSU's dancers are called the Golden Girls too.

LSU don't count, who pays attention to their dancers? Plus they aren't an HBCU. Alcorn's GGs are the originators of HBCU dance lines. UAPB needs to pay respect to that.

LSU don't count, who pays attention to their dancers? Plus they aren't an HBCU. Alcorn's GGs are the originators of HBCU dance lines. UAPB needs to pay respect to that.

I like the GG's back in the day, when the announcer said they were "pleasing and teasing".

List five things I need to determine who has the best dancers. What are the rules. Is there a checklist or can someone show a video and point out the best of the best..

I remember as a kid in Shreveport and Grambling playing Alcorn and how some of the men were getting slapped in the stands by their girlfriends and wives yelling for The Golden Girls, all my dad could say was Lawd Have Mercy, he's a SU Grad, he never said it to loud for my mom to hear it lmao. The Golden Girls are no where like they used to be.

List five things I need to determine who has the best dancers. What are the rules. Is there a checklist or can someone show a video and point out the best of the best..

1.) They must be named the Prancing J-Settes
2.) They must go to a school in Jackson, MS
3.) They must have style, beauty, and grace.
4.) They must be the thrill of a million eyes.
5.) They must be internationally known and copied by 99.9% of all other dance lines.

If they fine they great to me !!!!! I can care less how they dance but the more provacative the better! SHAKE THAT MONKEY!

Y'all actually argue about dance teams? Wow! A hint to you feminine folks, who cares? Dancers are in the band for us dudes to look at and enjoy nice shapes. Who cares about routines? Its that fat azz and funky monkey that matters!

5.) They must be internationally known and copied by 99.9% of all other dance lines.

This post gets a smilie!
smilieiagree.gif

Last edited:
TP, do you all have a selection process? I agree wit one and two, but 3, 4 and 5 are wishes.

I remember when the Motion of Ocean Dancing Girls were bad as hell back in the 80s.

Old school 80s Jaycettes are still my favorites of all time. The Dolls are always classy. Most different dance line. They dance with style. Something Doc Greggs always wanted. He said any dance team can go shake their ass. So he never allowed the Dolls to be booty shakers. He wanted them to be lookers and be more like a Black version of the Rockettes.

I remember when the Motion of Ocean Dancing Girls were bad as hell back in the 80s.

Old school 80s Jaycettes are still my favorites of all time. The Dolls are always classy. Most different dance line. They dance with style. Something Doc Greggs always wanted. He said any dance team can go shake their ass. So he never allowed the Dolls to be booty shakers. He wanted them to be lookers and be more like a Black version of the Rockettes.
Come on JR, we know Doc was clearly partial to light-skinned women. He very, VERY seldom had darker skinned dancers as dancing dolls.
Once I mentioned that while they were getting ready to march out of Memorial.
I said out loud, "where are the dark-skinned dancers"? He just looked back at me, gave a sly grin, and said nothing, but he heard me though and I surely believe he knew where I was coming from.

Greggs got the idea for the Dancing Dolls from Southern Mississippi's "Dixie Darlings", a white dance team, that didn't dance with batons. Greggs wanted a dance team that looked and danced like "white girls". Find a copy of the Black College Quarterly magazine, it's in there! Know your Doll history!

Last edited:

Greggs got the idea for the Dancing Dolls from Southern Mississippi's "Dixie Darlings", a white dance team, that didn't dance with batons. Greggs wanted a dance team that looked and danced like "white girls". Find a copy of the Black College Quarterly magazine, it's in there! Know your Doll history!
Which issue of Black College Quarterly? SMH

No he didn't. Doc had no love for Bands in the South. None of those PWCs. He thought all of them and their girls sucked. LOL. He along with the ladies he had at Southern University High started the dance team thing. Once he became Band Director in 69, he brought them over to SU a few years later. It is well documented and the Dolls history is well documented. Those First Dolls come back every year and for the information a lot of them are dark complexion. More than half of the first Dolls were. SMH.

092009dollsone.jpg

Last edited:
Come on JR, we know Doc was clearly partial to light-skinned women. He very, VERY seldom had darker skinned dancers as dancing dolls.
Once I mentioned that while they were getting ready to march out of Memorial.
I said out loud, "where are the dark-skinned dancers"? He just looked back at me, gave a sly grin, and said nothing, but he heard me though and I surely believe he knew where I was coming from.

Dude, have you seen every version of the Dolls? Have you seen the early pictures of the Dolls? Sheesh. Hell my Soph year we had half and half. And don't act the early Jaycettes didn't have a lot of light skinned gals on the squad. Ton of my homegirls who danced at JSU were fair complexion.

BTW, you lucky Doc didn't cuss you out. LOL.

Dude, have you seen every version of the Dolls? Have you seen the early pictures of the Dolls? Sheesh. Hell my Soph year we had half and half. And don't act the early Jaycettes didn't have a lot of light skinned gals on the squad. Ton of my homegirls who danced at JSU were fair complexion.

BTW, you lucky Doc didn't cuss you out. LOL.
Doc was too classy of a man to stoop that low....unlike Haymer.

Doc was too classy of a man to stoop that low....unlike Haymer.

LOL. Okay. You were never around a younger version of Doc. Mofos just wasn't as bold to say nothing to us back in the day. The SU band now is lightweight nice compared to what Doc had us be. Oh well. We actually had some real gangsters back in the day. Real hood cats. Mostly suburban kids now including Haymer himself who is from Gulfport. Yall just don't like the dude. You wouldn't have liked Doc 40 years ago either.

LOL. Okay. You were never around a younger version of Doc. Mofos just wasn't as bold to say nothing to us back in the day. The SU band now is lightweight nice compared to what Doc had us be. Oh well. We actually had some real gangsters back in the day. Real hood cats. Mostly suburban kids now including Haymer himself who is from Gulfport. Yall just don't like the dude. You wouldn't have liked Doc 40 years ago either.

Back in the days, Doc definitely would have been considered sexist and homophobic. Doc didn't want any gays or females in the band. The only females that was attached to the band was the Dancing Dolls. It's wasn't until the Fall of 1988 during the time Dr. Spikes was SU's president that Doc was forced to allow females to march in SU's band and Doc only allowed about 4 or 5 to march in the band. Before then,, females would tryout for the band, but for some strange reason none of them didn't make it. I believe a female trombone player by the name of Bambie came close to making the band in the Fall of 1982. Times have definitely changed since the 80's and the 90's.

The old version of Doc would have cussed him clean out. He doesn't have a single clue.

That's funny being that the first group of Dolls did routines with batons. Stop pulling stuff outta your arse. It stinks.

Back