Yates Trial Begins...

I am not an expert on mental illness. But I know enough from some reading, TV programs and a few up close observations to know that mental illness is a problem. Unfortunately it is one that this country does not take seriously at all.

Had Andrea Yates been acquitted, she would have gone to a mental institution probably for the rest of her life. The defense lawyers, prosecution, psychiatrist, and the judge would have to agree to have her released. With the way that she is, she probably would have probably not been released.

Consider this. The husband could be tried for reckless endangerment of a child. (This is not from me talking but some lawyers.) He knew that his wife had problems but at best (for his sake) must not have understood how bad it was. He had taken her to a doctor. She tried to commit suicide more than once two years before killing her kids. Yet, if my information is correct, he took her out of treatment. He left the kids alone with her. Whether or not he will be charged is up to the DA's office. Despite my feeling about him, I would like to here his side.

Also, if my information is correct, a doctor stopped giving her the much-needed medicine. If so he (or she) could be sued. Trust me. When a psychiatrist makes a mistake like that, I will bet that people will stop sending their friends and relatives to him (or her). I wonder if that doctor recommended that Yates be sent to an institution. If they did not, then he or she is finished. I would like to know that doctor's name because I will trust a rattlesnake before trusting them. Their career is basically finished. The doctor might as well find another line of work.

As for Susan Smith, she was not found mentally ill to my knowledge. Did she do something crazy in my opinion? Yes. Did she do something outrageous? Yes. Do I think that she belongs in prison? Yes. Does she get any sympathy from me? No. Andrea Yates is sick while Susan Smith is not. I have not lost any sleep nor have I been bothered what has happened to Susan Smith. She did not have any voices telling her to do what she did. Her case and Andrea Yates' cases are like apples and oranges. Susan Smith belongs in prison, and that is where she will stay.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Byron, maybe you are missing my point....

Susan is stupid.

Andrea is mentally ill. The part you are missing is that I am NOT saying Andrea should go free. I am pushing the point that they should recognize that she was/is mentally ill. Not once did I say she should be able to lolly gag on the darn street. As for Susan Smith....she gets no sympathy. Leave her dumb ass in jail. Andrea should not enjoy the freedoms of society....but I am not a person who can support the death penalty....

In cases where the death penalty applies, they should let those who believe in it, be the ones to inject the needle....or start the gas...or pull the electric switch....

Ms. Jag for Jag:

I agree with you in reference to Mrs. Yates and Susan Smith trails being totally different. Andrea Yates is a very sick woman. I don't condone what she did to those babies but at least people around this woman knew that she wasn't capable of caring for those children. Her husband, family, doctors, and now the system, failed this woman. The woman had tried to kill herself on more than one ocassion. I blame her husband as much as her for this situation. He didn't have enough sense to stop impregnating this woman knowing that she had mental problems. Susan Smith on the other hand is not mentally sick. She was low-down and dirty for that outrageous act she committed. She drowned her children because she wanted some lame-brained man that did not want her, or her children. Bottom line, she did not want her children either. And then she blatantly lied on a black man to try and cover up her stupidity. I don't believe in putting anyone to death but Susan should have to live the rest of her life very uncomfortable. Andrea Yates, on the other hand should be put in a mental facility for the rest of her life.

I will say this again...

Anyone ever think, she just got TIRED of BABYSITTING< FRUSTRATED, MAD AT HER HUSBAND...and just SNAPPED and killed her kids......

And as for Susan Smith.....

You are saying she is just stupid and evil for killing her kids...Yates was crazy.

Listen at yourselves. You are saying a person that kills their kids over a man is not CRAZY..INSANE...or whatever....
THATS BS. She just couldn't cope for whatever reason...just like Yates. In the end...it's no different. To kill your own KIDS>>>>requires some craziness in your head. Damn the reasons and excuses both of them gave. THAT'S SO IRRELEVANT!

:p

None of what I say is an excuse. The fact is that each were guilty. The fact is one was stupid and the other had history psychosis....so if she had history of psychosis....I don't know what it would take to convince twelve people that she is psychotic..... Psychotic (TO ME) does not mean let her go free....but the way the law is written and the plea choices written....not guilty by reason of insanity was their only choice...they were trying to save her life. That was her defense attorney's job....If he had not chosen that, many a client would bail.....He chose the best legal choice....

5 kids are dead
The mama said she did it
The mama did not deny she did it
There was circumstancial evidence that suggested she did it...She did it... Guilty. She called the cops on herself.

YES she is insane and YES she is guilty. There needs to be another choice in the plea bargaining system....

Back