Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
On my list of things to check out. Just haven't had the time or made it priority. From all that you all have said, it seems like a good watch.

Thought this was just gonna be a limited series...

I finally got around to watching the 1st episode at least. My random observations so far:

I never knew behind the scenes that Jerry West was as uptight as he was portrayed to be. During the short time that he was the President of Operations here with the Memphis Grizzlies, I never caught that side of him. They had their first winning seasons and playoff appearances under his run. There was a Black GM in that role before him that was making strides. I forget his name, but when Jerry came, he made moves and really got stuff done with the quickness.

I remember Norm Nixon very well during the Laker years. If those beginning interactions with him and Magic was like that, then it made sense as to why Magic was as good as he was from the start. I mean, it was his talent no doubt, but I see he had the right person in Norm to either break him or make him. Norm was nothing to play with on the court though, much respect.

Looks like they are really not holding back...

I finally got around to watching the 1st episode at least. My random observations so far:

I never knew behind the scenes that Jerry West was as uptight as he was portrayed to be. During the short time that he was the President of Operations here with the Memphis Grizzlies, I never caught that side of him. They had their first winning seasons and playoff appearances under his run. There was a Black GM in that role before him that was making strides. I forget his name, but when Jerry came, he made moves and really got stuff done with the quickness.

I remember Norm Nixon very well during the Laker years. If those beginning interactions with him and Magic was like that, then it made sense as to why Magic was as good as he was from the start. I mean, it was his talent no doubt, but I see he had the right person in Norm to either break him or make him. Norm was nothing to play with on the court though, much respect.

Looks like they are really not holding back...
Norm's son actually portrays him in the show, which is cool.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I know I said this earlier but they got Earvin looking foul lol

Maybe he was and we just didn't see it over that smile of his....

Magic and Jerry West look soooooooo bad in this. lol

Jerry West looks like he is clueless

Magic was just a outright whore!

I laughed when Cookie left him at the hotel door and then the bathroom door opens and it was her friend coming out, tig ole biggies and all.

Maybe he was and we just didn't see it over that smile of his....

Jerry West looks like he is clueless

I laughed when Cookie left him at the hotel door and then the bathroom door opens and it was her friend coming out, tig ole biggies and all..

He said, it was a teammate.

Kareem was the direct opposite of Magic.

"The portrayal of NBA icon and LA Lakers legend Jerry West in 'Winning Time' is fiction pretending to be fact — a deliberately false characterization that has caused great distress to Jerry and his family," Skip Miller, one of West’s attorneys, told ESPN. "Contrary to the baseless portrayal in the HBO series, Jerry had nothing but love for and harmony with the Lakers organization, and in particular owner Dr. Jerry Buss, during an era in which he assembled one of the greatest teams in NBA history.
"Jerry West was an integral part of the Lakers and NBA's success. It is a travesty that HBO has knowingly demeaned him for shock value and the pursuit of ratings. As an act of common decency, HBO and the producers owe Jerry a public apology and at the very least should retract their baseless and defamatory portrayal of him."

Back