Wimbledon 2022

Olde Hornet

Serena Williams to play at Wimbledon after receiving wild-card invitation
:popcorn:

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_...ints-possible-wimbledon-return-instagram-post

Serena Williams will play at Wimbledon after all. The All England Club announced on Tuesday that Williams was awarded a wild-card entry for singles, marking her return to Grand Slam action after a year away.

The owner of a professional-era-record 23 Grand Slam singles trophies will tune up by playing doubles at a smaller grass-court event first, teaming with Ons Jabeur at Eastbourne, England, next week.

Main-draw play at Wimbledon begins on June 27.

Williams has not competed since getting injured during the first set of her first-round match at the All England Club in 2021.

Her name did not appear on the women's singles entry list released by the grass-court Grand Slam tournament earlier this month, but she was among a half-dozen women given a spot in the singles draw on Tuesday, along with five British players: Katie Boulter, Jodie Burrage, Sonay Kartal, Yuriko Miyazaki and Katie Swan.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I dont think so, he is coaching others, but I think they still have a relationship. We will find out next week in the pre Wimbledon tournament.

Why do I have a sneaking feeling that if Serena makes it out of the qualifying round, her first opponent will be Coco Gauff. 🤣

Coco seems to have problems with the top power hitters in the game, she is getting better, but I am not sure she will be there by Wimbledon. I like that she is moving forward on grass, but the power hitters will keep her deep, she has to learn to hold the baseline and move those hitters around. I watched her play Ons Jabeur, interesting match, but her weaknesses were on display. I am impress with her serve, I hope she can keep that up and be consistent with it.

Serena is playing doubles tomorrow, but I cant find the schedule, but the Tennis Channel is carrying the match

Serena Williams to play doubles with top-5 player in Eastbourne​

23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams will make her long-awaited comeback next week in Eastbourne when she teams up with fourth-ranked Ons Jabeur for the doubles event. Williams, 40, hasn't played since retiring her Wimbledon first round match 12 months ago.

On Tuesday, it was announced Williams would play this grass season. “I am excited to return to the Rothesay International tournament in England and to be back on the grass - a surface that has been so good to me throughout my career.

Eastbourne has a unique charm that you don’t see anywhere else on Tour and I’m looking forward to playing in front of the fans again," Williams said in a statement.

The Eastbourne organizers thrilled to have Williams​

After being sidelined for the past 12 months, Williams has decided to return to competitive action.

“On behalf of everyone at the LTA we are delighted to warmly welcome Serena back to the Rothesay International and the fabulous setting of Devonshire Park, Eastbourne. This year’s line-up is proving absolutely stellar, where having Serena here will be the icing on the cake and personally, I’m sure I speak for many in that we can’t wait to see her play again," Eastbourne tournament director Gavin Fletcher said.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back