Willie Mays dies at 93

This article was published yesterday, 6/17/2024.

----------

Willie Mays Will Not Attend MLB Game at Historic Rickwood Field
Story by Dan Gartland

Baseball legend Willie Mays will not be in attendance when the San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals square off Thursday at the ballpark where Mays began his professional career.

Rickwood Field in Birmingham, Ala., is the oldest professional baseball stadium in the United States. On Thursday, the Giants and Cardinals will play there in what MLB is calling “MLB at Rickwood Field: A Tribute to the Negro Leagues.” It will be the first regular-season AL/NL game played at the ballpark.

“I’m not able to get to Birmingham this year but will follow the game back here in the Bay Area,” Mays said in a statement to the San Francisco Chronicle. “My heart will be with all of you who are honoring the Negro League ballplayers, who should always be remembered, including all my teammates on the Black Barons. I wanted to thank Major League Baseball, the Giants, the Cardinals and all the fans who’ll be at Rickwood or watching the game. It’ll be a special day, and I hope the kids will enjoy it and be inspired by it.”

Rip to Birmingham Legend...Willie Mays
My first time hearing and learning the significance of who he was was when I first saw him in person as a kid at the Magic Classic Parade when he was a Grand Marshal.

It was my observation of the elders and how much reverence they gave him that I really began to ask questions. No doubt they made sure to school me well.

Much respect!

HE WAS MY VERY FIRST MLB IDOL AS A KID. IN OUR SANDLOT BASEBALL GAMES WE WOULD ACTUALLY FIGHT TO SAY "NO, I AM WILLIE MAYS!". HE WAS THE RARE GENTELMAN ON AND OFF THE FIRLD. MAY HE NOW REST IN ETERNAL PEACE.

Rest in Peace!

Confused Willie Mays GIF by Marc Leone

My first time hearing and learning the significance of who he was was when I first saw him in person as a kid at the Magic Classic Parade when he was a Grand Marshal.

It was my observation of the elders and how much reverence they gave him that I really began to ask questions. No doubt they made sure to school me well.

Much respect!
Magic City Classic 2000 Ambassador
Willie Mays20240619_170530.jpg

Last night's MLB at Rickwood was well produced. I can do without John Baptiste but it was an event that I hope can continue.

Back