Will a SWAC school overtake NCAT as largest HBCU?

Which SWAC school can overtake NCAT as largest HBCU?

• Texas Southern

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Prairie View

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • FAMU

• Jackson State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Southern

• Alabama State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama A&M

• Total voters

tsugraytiger

Do ya'll feel any SWAC school has the potential to overtake NCAT as the largest HBCU in the next 5 years? If so which one.

At one point, Southern was the largest HBCU (1970s/1980s), and another point FAMU was the largest HBCU (2000s/early 2010s), and at another point Texas Southern was the second largest HBCU (2000s). So it's possible technically.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
One thing you have to respect is that A&T enrolls QUALITY freshmen classes which leads to better retention and that ultimately leads to steady, positive growth overall. When SU and TSU were considered "large" they were damn near just taking anyone off the streets. That bubble was gonna burst eventually.

One thing you have to respect is that A&T enrolls QUALITY freshmen classes which leads to better retention and that ultimately leads to steady, positive growth overall. When SU and TSU were considered "large" they were damn near just taking anyone off the streets. That bubble was gonna burst eventually.
This right here.... JSU not in a position right now. Last time we bubbled up, we had folks living in hotels and shat.

I don’t know in the next 5 years but I think the 2 Texas HBCUs have the potential in the future!
I think FAMU and the Texas HBCUs are the top contenders for taking that title. Enrollment has been very inconsistent for TSU but for PV they been mostly on the up and up so I see it for them over us.

TSU still pretty much takes anyone which I hate. The standards are so low and if they don't meet those standards they can just go to summer school to get in. TSU is concerned about money, not the quality of the student body and its reputation. PV does a slightly better job simply due to proximity. A lot of those middle class/upper middle class kids in the northern suburbs chose PV b/c it's closer to home. We get a lot of the trashy hood inner city kids who only in college to waste time. And not all inner city hood kids are trashy but from my experience the majority are. TSU was sorta ghetto when I went back in the 00s, I'm pretty sure it's even worse now.

Infrastructure is the key. Our schools must learn to invest in the campus. Bottom line is kids are spoiled today. They will not live in dorms with mold, asbestos, water not running and many other things these PWI's giving them. They are not going to deal with the nasty attitudes of financial aid office and stuff we put with.

I think FAMU and the Texas HBCUs are the top contenders for taking that title. Enrollment has been very inconsistent for TSU but for PV they been mostly on the up and up so I see it for them over us.

TSU still pretty much takes anyone which I hate. The standards are so low and if they don't meet those standards they can just go to summer school to get in. PV does a slightly better job simply due to proximity. A lot of those middle class/upper middle class kids in the northern suburbs chose PV b/c it's closer to home. We get a lot of the trashy hood inner city kids who only in college to waste time. And not all inner city hood kids are trashy but from my experience the majority are
That's a broad picture to paint inner city kids.

That's a broad picture to paint inner city kids.
You think I just made that up to be mean? What do I have to gain by doing that. And clearly you are very unfamiliar with many of HISD inner city schools b/c I'm speaking from experience, especially the ones that feed into TSU. From experience the majority are ghetto as hell and the majority of them are woefully unprepared for college ... this is factual. You can get in your feelings if you want but that ain't gonna change the truth.

Infrastructure is the key. Our schools must learn to invest in the campus. Bottom line is kids are spoiled today. They will not live in dorms with mold, asbestos, water not running and many other things these PWI's giving them. They are not going to deal with the nasty attitudes of financial aid office and stuff we put with.

For PV, the campus is fine but the City of Prairie View is what sucks and that's due in large part to the lack of vision from city leaders and stubborn land owners. Old folks don't wanna let go of prime real estate but their kids/grandkids are definitely going to cash out once they die. The surrounding city lacks any infrastructure to support a massive growth in enrollment. Luckily for PV, the suburbs are basically pushing out to PV these days along with the housing, businesses, etc that come with it.

But yeah you're right....kids today are coming from the suburbs...they aren't going to put up with the stank attitudes and lack of community service from employees at the University.

PVAMU is the only school that has a chance. They are focused on academics and growing their student body regardless of race. They seem to be about growing the university the way the NCAT is doing. To many HBCU alumni are focused on just being black. Growth is through academics, improved processes and a diverse student body.

You think I just made that up to be mean? What do I have to gain by doing that. And clearly you are very unfamiliar with many of HISD inner city schools b/c I'm speaking from experience, especially the ones that feed into TSU. From experience the majority are ghetto as hell and the majority of them are woefully unprepared for college ... this is factual. You can get in your feelings if you want but that ain't gonna change the truth.

Aren't those schools mostly hispanic these days?

Don’t sleep on S.U. There is a strategic plan to grow the university. We will see how it works out. The university is well aware of our strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats and currently proceeding with the growth vision.

Don’t sleep on S.U. There is a strategic plan to grow the university. We will see how it works out. The university is well aware of our strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats and currently proceeding with the growth vision.
Yeah we creeping closer to that 10,000 mark again…. Sitting at 8317 undergrad for spring 2023 with another record breaking freshman class on the way for fall 2023.

Aren't those schools mostly hispanic these days?
HISD is the largest school district in Texas. Yes most schools are mostly Hispanic but there's still a very large Black population in HISD. There's actually been a battle between the Hispanic educators and Black educators on control of HISD. For many years Black educators had the most power despite Hispanics outnumbering them heavily. Outside of a small few exceptions, white people left HISD alone 20 years ago ... I believe only 2 schools out of 275 in HISD are majority white.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Hate to bust your bubble but every public SWAC school by LAW has a strategic plan to grow enrollment and the campus way pass what it is now ... especially the Texas HBCUs. Usually lazy leaders and weak implementation keeps it from working tho. And what good is high enrollment if almost half leave by junior year. So the focus should be recruitment of higher quality students and not just anybody who want to go to college which is how most SWAC schools operate right now

Hate to bust your bubble but every public SWAC school by LAW has a strategic plan to grow enrollment and the campus way pass what it is now ... especially the Texas HBCUs. Usually lazy leaders and weak implementation keeps it from working tho. And what good is high enrollment if almost half leave by junior year. So the focus should be recruitment of higher quality students and not just anybody who want to go to college which is how most SWAC schools operate right now

You’re not bursting my bubble…LOL. As I said, we’ll see….

I have a cousin that is coming off of Cobb county. Affluent black kid and NCAT is his #2 choice behind emory. His brother went to the naval academy. The fact that NCAT has been able to attract kids like him has been a testament.

With PVAMU's next president having extensive enrollment experience and being a NCAT graduate with experience being the Director of the Precollege Program at NCAT, I believe PVAMU has the money and land to surpass NCAT.

That's the key thing A&T has been able to do.. not just get a bunch of kids but a bunch of good quality kids.
This. Quality with quantity of them to boot.

Targeted recruitment and retention are major ills where most HBCUs have severely dropped the ball.

In sTu's and PV's case, the nemesis are the regional-like growing fcs schools who aggressively target, recruit, & retain what would have once been TAG students to enroll at either sTu or PV.

Last edited:
I have a cousin that is coming off of Cobb county. Affluent black kid and NCAT is his #2 choice behind emory. His brother went to the naval academy. The fact that NCAT has been able to attract kids like him has been a testament.
NCAT has a beautiful campus and their brand is growing. Our SWAC schools need to take notes

This. Quality with quantity of them to boot.

Targeted recruitment and retention are major ills where most HBCUs have severely dropped the ball.

In sTu's and PV's case, the nemesis are the regional-like growing fcs schools who aggressively target, recruit, & retain what would have once been TAG students to enroll at either sTu or PV.
The Texas HBCUs are gonna have to do more work to recruit out of state b/c TX Black kids overwhelmingly ain't messing with PV and TSU. Despite our beautiful campuses, improving programs, growing funding, and better programs .... they still not messing with it for real ... especially Black kids from diverse schools

NCAT is so successful b/c they do a good job of recruiting many QUALITY students from outside NC. NC has like 10 HBCUs so they have to be creative in recruitment and retention.

Back