Wilberforce looks to bring back football by 2027





The city of Xienna will be jumping when Wilberforce and Central St play each other. They're literally down the road from each other like CAU and Morehouse
 
they have around 600 students; I remember St Augustine [CIAA] main focus in bringing football to campus was to increase [MALE] enrollment.

I would like to see it successfully happen.
The same with Chicago State( non hbcu) although male enrollment is down across the board in Universities, but especially HBCUS .

Chicago state appears to be off to a decent start considering......, but only 1500 fans for the Norfolk game at home yesterday. Hope it works out for both.
 
They had projections for a student body count of 1,000 this year. That will help, but that is around half of their neighbor Central State.


“Wilberforce University is experiencing tremendous momentum,” said Dr. Jonas Tellis, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Retention. “Our admissions team continues to receive applications and commitments daily.

Current enrollment projections indicate that the University is on track to achieve its goal of enrolling 1,000 students during the 2026-2027 academic year.
 
Last edited:
they have around 600 students; I remember St Augustine [CIAA] main focus in bringing football to campus was to increase [MALE] enrollment.

I would like to see it successfully happen.
Both St. Paul College and St. Augustine both brought back football, after their program had been disbanded previously, and the expenses of those program help incur debt due to the costs associated with those programs. In St, Augustine case they had lawsuits associated with the program, which one of them being by the former football coach. St. Paul last president said they were loosing money every year after the football program was brought back.

With that being said, there are some success stories, with Bluefied State University being one of them (which came back to the CIAA along with getting a new dorm built for on campus housing).
 
All of the A.M.E. church affiliated HBCUs have little to no room for error. If they follow Edward Waters model they should be okay. I think starting off as an independent in NAIA with consideration for DII after several years like EWU makes the most sense.

Hard lessons were learned at Paul Quinn and Morris Brown. Edward Waters is the A.M.E. model to follow.
 
I've been working at a small HBCU (with an enrollment of 800 students give or take) for almost 3 years now. During this time, I've closely observed how effectively utilizing scholarship sports can boost enrollment and help keep a school's doors open. I assume many of the schools you all mentioned that still have programs are using their exact approach which Wilberforce is a bout to venture into.

By the way, the uniforms look great! It is really cool that Ohio is about to have two HBCUs with football squads.
 
I've been working at a small HBCU (with an enrollment of 800 students give or take) for almost 3 years now. During this time, I've closely observed how effectively utilizing scholarship sports can boost enrollment and help keep a school's doors open. I assume many of the schools you all mentioned that still have programs are using their exact approach which Wilberforce is a bout to venture into.

By the way, the uniforms look great! It is really cool that Ohio is about to have two HBCUs with football squads.
Xeina is about to be jumping. Central St is literally down the road. It will bring excitement to both schools and help boost enrollment in that area.
 



Back
Top