What can make bands better, more entertatining, more productive, etc.

Springfunk

I think bands are played out, or not really played out but when I see other bands, I'm not really entertained because I feel I have seen and/or done everything. And I'm not just saying this about other bands, this includes the phenominal "Sonic BOOM! of the South. I truly believe there are good ideas that are over looked in different programs because they come from people who are not the biggest band heads, so the floor is open............

:redhot: :redhot: To make bands better and more entertaining you have to get rid of the stupid SWAC rules for bands playing at a game and at halftime:redhot: :redhot:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
To make bands more entertaining you have to have more opportunities for bands to shine outside of football games. I think more college battle of the bands should be held across the country to include the SWAC, MEAC, independents and all the other black conferences out there.

Originally posted by DaBOX 96' Snare
:redhot: :redhot: To make bands better and more entertaining you have to get rid of the stupid SWAC rules for bands playing at a game and at halftime:redhot: :redhot:

Do the SWAC rules say that bands can't play at all during the game or only at certain times. I would hardly call that stupid. I would call stupid thinking you can play when you want for as long or loud as you want with no regard for why you are there in the first place.

I think band directors show be more creative. I've have see too many repeat shows. It appears as if they have given up on trying to evolve. To me it appears as if the band directors are saying we are going to do this show as much as we want, so what if you have seen it 5 times per year for the past 10 years. Some directors don't even care to change the music to a drill they have repeated for years and years.

Originally posted by COACH
Do the SWAC rules say that bands can't play at all during the game or only at certain times.

honestly, I do not think any SWAC refs can 100% answer your question !:confused:

The rule about bands NOT PLAYING during the teams' offensive posessions, (other than a time out, or after a down) is not a SWAC rule...IT'S AN NCAA RULE!

What bands should do, is play during the time outs, and after a big play on offense or defense, come up with some tune to show appreciation for the team's performance on the field at that time. Many schools' bands do this. I like the tune that LSU's band plays after the defense forces a three and out. Alabama had one (something from Star Wars, I think) that they played a couple of years ago after the defense forced a three and out. Michigan, by far, has the best after their defense stops a drive.

That goes back to bands being more creative, like on of the posters said earlier.

ALL GOOD POINTS

BUT TO MAKE A BAND BETTER HAS NOTHING DO TO WITH WHEN THEY PLAY IT IS HOW THEY PLAY....

IF YOU PLAY ALL GAME AND SOUND LIKE TRASH THEN WHY DO U PLAY?

TO MAKE A BAND BETTER AND MORE ENTERTAINING IS ATTENTION TO DETAILS...MARCHING STYLES TOE POSITIONS, ACCENTS ON NOTES PHRASING, HOW THIS SECTION HOLDS THERE HORNS, AS WELL AS WHAT THE CROWD WANTS U CANT GET HOUSE IF YOU DONT APPEAL TO THE CROWD

Originally posted by COACH
Do the SWAC rules say that bands can't play at all during the game or only at certain times. I would hardly call that stupid. I would call stupid thinking you can play when you want for as long or loud as you want with no regard for why you are there in the first place.

I think band directors show be more creative. I've have see too many repeat shows. It appears as if they have given up on trying to evolve. To me it appears as if the band directors are saying we are going to do this show as much as we want, so what if you have seen it 5 times per year for the past 10 years. Some directors don't even care to change the music to a drill they have repeated for years and years.
:redhot: :redhot: I still say they can stuff them SWAC rules as far as playing during the game up you know what.......There are bands in the Big 10, ACC, SEC, and etc that can blow just as loud as black college marching bands an they don't have them stupid rules......Ya Dig??:redhot: :redhot:

O R I G I N A L I T Y

Point blank.....HBCU bands need to stop these warmed over shows. Stop microwaving these dayum left overs from the 80's and 90's ....DO SOMETHING NEW. I think ever band, to some extent, has given up on originality. Everyone is too scared to think outside of the box and do something NEW. Think about it....when was the last time you heard a crowd actually clap for a drill. You know when bands first started doing these step-two drills crowds did clap....It was entertaining then....Everyone has figured that sh*t out now though....They can do it their dayum self. ....because they see it week in and week out.....Just like you had guys back then thinking of NEW and inovative drill designs and concepts... we need that now.....BANDS NEED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.....These shows are DEAD.

Or rather....are our leaders holding us back to an extent based on the norm they've gotten used to perfecting/exploiting? Not a strike against our leaders/directors but a real question.:confused:

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
O R I G I N A L I T Y

Point blank.....HBCU bands need to stop these warmed over shows. Stop microwaving these dayum left overs from the 80's and 90's ....DO SOMETHING NEW. I think ever band, to some extent, has given up on originality. Everyone is too scared to think outside of the box and do something NEW. Think about it....when was the last time you heard a crowd actually clap for a drill. You know when bands first started doing these step-two drills crowds did clap....It was entertaining then....Everyone has figured that sh*t out now though....They can do it their dayum self. ....because they see it week in and week out.....Just like you had guys back then thinking of NEW and inovative drill designs and concepts... we need that now.....BANDS NEED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.....These shows are DEAD.
:redhot: :redhot: I agree to a certain extennt:redhot: :redhot:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think you guys are over analyzing this.

INHO, the reason why halftime shows are less effective is because nobody knows what the hell you are playing half the time. Just about everything bands play now is rap music...and lets be real, rap music today ain't even what it use to be. Yeah there are a few catchy tune out there, but the majority of that mess on the radio today is straight garbage...especially that cut I hear them playing now that goes...."Yooooooo LaaaaaaaaaaEEEEEEEE Oooooooooooo" That isht is garbage, but for some reason its a hit!

I am not a band person, but I am one who enjoys a good halftime show. If you play more music (more old school and R&B) and less rap, you instantly improve the quality of your shows. I'm not saying that you have to completely eliminate rap, but I am willing to bet that the paying crowd which is majority old skool will appreciate it even more.

Originality! Be yourself! I'm so tired of hearing everybody play the same old songs as the other bands. Sure we played some old songs in the 80's, but I bet no one is had them even though they may have had a few old songs also. Why, because they played songs that fit their style. Even the current songs should be selected in terms of that band's style and image.

Feel the pulse of your audience: I get the feeling so many bands today put songs on the field that they or their band director likes. You have to know what songs your crowd is crazy about. When they hear (key word is HEAR-I'll get back to that) what they love, they give you love. For example, when we played Purple Rain in '84, the crowd started screeming after hearing the first 2 or 3 beats. The same was true with "The Show".

Have a passion for your craft: When you step in the stadium, especially on the field, you must go ALL OUT! This going through the motions (marching like you are walking down the field, dancing like you are on the dance floor putting on your rap, etc...) is boring and unarousing.

Have some unexpected entries in the show: At one point, different points, in the past, JSU and GSU both have slowed the tempo of their dance routine down to a blue tempo (in some cases switching to a blue/funky song). This got them major house. Why? It was unexpected, but something the crowd really enjoyed hearing. When SU crushed FAMU in Baton Rouge in '86, one thing that got major house during the drill was when we stopped marching and glided for 16 counts. It caught the crowd off guard and they went crazy. We marched backwards in another show and got major applause fot that also.

Respect for your opponent: Reading most of your post, you all simply don't respect your opponents any more. I can tell why you aren't as hyped as you should be if you think so low of the band across the way competing against you.

Strive to be better daily: Be better than you were yesterday; try to be better than the bandsmen next to you daily; out march your fellow bandsmen; out play your fellow bandsmen; push yourself to unseen levels. If everyone does that daily, the entire band reaches great levels.

I'll stop there. The SWAC has put rules in place to dampin' the band's impact on the game. But, you have to be attentive to the game and play by rules to help your team and keep your crowd energized. So, I don't agree with those saying the SWAC rules have to go. Just be smart and be supportive of your team first. You have halftime and 5th Quarter to really totally focus on your opposing band.

PEACE!!!

It was stated earlier that its the band Directors fault that most of the shows are getting repetitive which is true except they might change the songs but do the same drill. In Pine Bluff where I played, during 99-01, we always wanted a different drill for every show, but the reason we didn't do so is because of to much Human error, People with a slow learning disability, we didn't have any slow people in the band but that was the way most of them acted including myself on some occassions. So during the season, PB would learn 5 drills and repeat the tightest ones, but we always had a new drill for homecoming. but all in all, The Participates make a better band, if everyone came to do what need to be done then you will accomplish Greatness on the Field. As far as the Music selection, you do have to appeal to the crowd, for Pine Bluff most of the crowd would be old School people meaning more Alums than students so we didn't feel the need to change our song book to play everything comin on the radio (hint hint Grambling) and in most cases we sounded acceptionally well.

Words of Wisdom from a Non-Fraturnal Person
Don G. "U know My" Steez

So why are the bands that DO think outside the box criticized the most?

Why do the bands that aren't afraid to experiment get talked about so negatively?

You say you want creativity, but it still has to "fit the mold". In general, the vision of what a show should be in the HBCU band world is so narrow, when a band comes with something really outside the box it's not received well by us (bandheads) most times.

NOISE TALKA, we get lots of house on our drills, but most bandheads don't like our drills, if they consider them drills at all. (an example of a band being creative, but not being well-received by HBCU bandheads)

Originally posted by DonGiovonni
As far as the Music selection, you do have to appeal to the crowd, for Pine Bluff most of the crowd would be old School people meaning more Alums than students so we didn't feel the need to change our song book to play everything comin on the radio (hint hint Grambling) and in most cases we sounded acceptionally well.

Please explain. Give a case in point if you can. :D

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
O R I G I N A L I T Y

Point blank........DO SOMETHING NEW. I think ever band, to some extent, has given up on originality. Everyone is too scared to think outside of the box and do something NEW. Think about it....when was the last time you heard a crowd actually clap for a drill. You know when bands first started doing these step-two drills crowds did clap....It was entertaining then....Everyone has figured that sh*t out now though....They can do it their dayum self. ....because they see it week in and week out.....Just like you had guys back then thinking of NEW and inovative drill designs and concepts... we need that now.....BANDS NEED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.....These shows are DEAD.

I agree with how people know these step-2 drills, they all start to look the same. How many diamonds, circles, pinwheels can you do that don't look the same to the crowd. Bands need to become more animated with their shows to show some originality and be more abstract. They don't march with all the enthusiam like they use to also.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
Please explain. Give a case in point if you can. :D
\

If I must entertain this statement,

ex. "Redriver classic 99" you guys played
Same Ole G against our EWF September, yall sounded nice that year but the power wasn't there for nobody but them Pitbulls you call Baritones( not knockin ya b tones just givin them props)

Ex 2 "Redriver classic 00" U guys actually played every song in order from 9-1 of 106 and park, also against our EWF tunes such as Africano, September, In the Stone,Jupiter, Let Your Feelings Show, and Getaway now I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll check the tape and correct me.

just understand I'm not the type to hate on anyones band, and you can check all my posts if you have to, I give props to everyone and what I said wasn't a knock toward you guys. I like ya band program except a couple of things, Yall do dance to much while playing, but hey if that's yall thang to make you different from others, I respect that, do ya thug thizzle.

" I never hate, I try my best to Congradulate"

Don G. "U know My" Steez

Back