What Alabama's Low-Tax Mania Can Teach the Rest of the Country

Jam Piper Jam

Truth Seeker
What Alabama's Low-Tax Mania Can Teach the Rest of the Country
By ADAM COHEN
New York Times

MONTGOMERY, Ala.

The budget ax is swinging in Alabama, and the carnage is piling up. A hundred and fifty fewer low-income AIDS patients will receive life-saving medicines from the state. Fifteen thousand low-income Alabamians may lose their hypertension drugs.

High Hopes, a program that offers after-school tutoring to students who fail the high school graduation exam, is being slashed. And up to 1,500 poor children and adults with Down syndrome, autism and other disabilities will not be able to attend a state-supported special-needs camp.

The cuts are reaching down to core government functions. The court system is laying off 500 of 1,600 workers, from clerk's office employees to probation officers. The health department is losing investigators who track tuberculosis, and sharply reducing restaurant inspections.

Alabama's huge budget gap is a result of the voters' rejection, nearly six weeks ago, of Gov. Bob Riley's tax reform plan, which would have generated an additional $1.2 billion, much of it from undertaxed timberland. After the vote, Governor Riley was forced to cut most state agencies by 18 percent, and other recipients of state funds by 75 percent. Bad as things are, the impact is being blunted by a fortuitous one-time injection of federal funds. Next year agencies are bracing for a 56 percent hit. If the state cannot find more revenue ? and Governor Riley is searching ? it may be nearly impossible for basic services, including courts, prisons and police, to operate.

Alabama's disintegrating government is a problem, certainly, for anyone in the state. But it may also be a harbinger of where the nation is headed. There is a "starve the beast" ethic, currently fashionable among conservatives, holding that the best way to downsize government and end the social safety net is to get voters to demand lower taxes. But before we hurtle any further in that direction, we should think hard about whether we want the whole nation to look like Alabama does this year or, worse, next year.

Alabama is not a wealthy state, but its bigger problem is that it is not making an effort to raise the taxes it needs. It is 48th in the nation in state and local revenue as a percentage of personal income, according to Governing magazine. And it has the nation's least equitable tax system. Alabama's income tax kicks in for families of four earning just $4,600. Its property taxes are the lowest in the nation, Governing reports, and "heavily favor farming interests."

As a Republican congressman, Governor Riley strongly opposed tax increases. But when he took over the state government, he realized it could not run on the revenues coming in. He courageously offered up a tax package that raised the needed revenue while shifting the burden from overtaxed poor people to undertaxed business interests. But the package was defeated by a skeptical electorate, with many of the no votes coming from low-income Alabamians, whose taxes would have gone down.

The voters were not entirely wrong to be skeptical. No budget is free of waste, not even Alabama's meager one. There is a state tradition of legislative pork, patronage controlled by key legislators. And powerful lobbies, notably the teachers' union, have long gotten more than their share of state funds. But Governor Riley has already trimmed much of the pork. And next year, he will no doubt take aim at teacher benefit packages.

It is easy to sell voters on low taxes, and a well-financed campaign by Alabama's business community ? aided, shamefully, by the state Christian Coalition ? did just that. What is harder, but vital right now, is making the more challenging case for why taxes, and sometimes even tax increases, are necessary.

One message Alabama voters needed to hear more clearly was that rejecting higher taxes costs more in the long run. Saving $10,000 by denying medicine to a poor, H.I.V.-positive woman is no bargain if she ends up in a state hospital with full-blown AIDS needing $100,000 in care. Tutoring high school students in danger of failing is cheap compared with paying for welfare ? or prison.

Alabama voters also need to realize that by entrenching their state at the bottom of the national rankings in taxes and government services, they are putting themselves on the margins of the new, global economy, and sabotaging their future tax base. Businesses looking for low taxes and cheap government will pass right over Alabama and head for Mexico. And companies that want well-educated, skilled workers, the companies Alabama needs to attract, will not locate in a state where high school students do not graduate, TB cases are not tracked and the restaurants may be hazardous.

The nation is facing precisely the same issues as Alabama. The Bush administration has tried to delude the public into thinking we can fight a war, rebuild Iraq, fix our schools, get prescription drug benefits and still enjoy the largest tax cut in history. But the deficit cannot grow forever. Eventually, we will have to pay more or, as "starve the beast" proponents hope, do with much less.

Last month, Alabama voted for fewer social services, less education, and a shoddier legal system ? to become, that is, more like a third-world nation. But low as taxes are, the state will never be better at being an underdeveloped country than actual underdeveloped countries are. Alabama's best chance, and the nation's, is to invest in its people and civic institutions, the things that set America apart.

Governor Riley's setback last month is being hailed by national antitax forces as a great victory. But if Alabama heads into next year without additional revenues, students may have to learn without textbooks, prisoners may be released early, and people may start dying of preventable diseases. We should all pay attention, because if the "starve the beast" crowd continues to prevail in Washington, as goes Alabama so may go the nation.

Well, of course, I don't agree with everything that is written in the above article because there are a lot of different avenues that the Governor and legislative can take without raising taxes. They can start with themselves. Put some of the dollars that are making back into the budget. If they give up a fourth of their salaries then we wouldn't have this so-called crisis. Some of the principals and superintendents could give up at least a fourth of their salaries. What we pay some of these politicians and superitendents is totally ridiculous. When the United States of America decides to give free education and healthcare, then I will gladly vote for a tax increase. We are a very wasteful Country. We can find money for wars and rebuilting of other Countries that we destroy but we cannot not implement a plan to invest in our schools and healthcare for our own State and Country. This is totally ludcrious.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If the State does not have the money, where does Gov Riley think we unemployed Bamas are going to get the money. Riley is pissed because he did not get what he wanted and he should stop funding so many nice to have projects. People have been lying on schools for so long they actually believe that we have poor schools. But it is how the money is spent. The way I see it is that he need to start cutting back on consultors in Education. Get rid of anything that has nothing to with teaching.

From The Black Belt

I wish we could get some of the waste that school systems in the cities and counties of North and South Alabama are getting (I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure). The funding is not there for us to compete with those places let alone the rest of the country and world. The poor educational background of the masses leads to a not so sound political electorate and the development of 21st century political machines. The masses are forced to travel to find "good" jobs, which costs money.

It really shocks me that so many people view AEA as some evil money hungry monster. Teachers face the reality of potential law suit each and every day with what amounts to no support from anyone, and that includes administrators, except the NEA and AEA. We stand in place of the parents and are responsible for entire classes of children, many of whom are not very receptive to our programs. Every citizen should be required to walk a mile (a week) in the shoes of a teacher, to see the world through our eyes.

MD is right that Riley is mad about not getting his tax plan passed. He had $180mil of the money for a slush project (there goes accountability). If he would go back to the drawing board with a more realistic plan we could approve a plan that will improve education. I think a lot of consultants are unecessary mouths being fed. I think, particularly in Huntsville City Schools they have too many support people in central office not value added. Tell the Kids don't be mad a me because I will not provide them money for candy.

Originally posted by Smiley
I think a lot of consultants are unecessary mouths being fed. I think, particularly in Huntsville City Schools they have too many support people in central office not value added. Tell the Kids don't be mad a me because I will not provide them money for candy.

That is soooo true for most school districts of any size. They have so many folks in the central office who are far removed from the education process, commanding mega salaries, and not impacting the process.

Education has a very large budget, but there is a lot of waste. Our politicians constantly lie about education. They get elected and that is the end of support for education. Teachers need to be paid more, if the the money was going for teachers then more people would have voted for it. But nobody is going to vote for a tax package like the one proposed by Riley.

???

You guys are beginning to sound like Arnold "I'll be back" S. He told the people in Cali that he was going to make up a 8 billion dollar deficit by wiping out waste. They believed him. Firing consultants will make a dent in the 750 million dollar deficit. or is it the principle of the issue that matter.

Riley is following the model established by Benjamin Miller (AL govornor 1931-35). Following liberal Bibb Graves as governor, he campaigned as an arch conservative opposed to any taxes. He came into office at the beginning of the Depression, finding that the revenues were not there to support basic services, he proposed the state income tax in 1932. It was soundly defeated. It took two years of suffering before he came back with the same proposal and it won by the same percentages that it was defeated by earlier. Didn't you hear some of the opponents opposed to the tax iniatitive complainting about being single out for budget cuts. It's going to get worth before it gets better

:mad:

I just want a good plan that is going to significantly impact the education of our children. Teachers need to be paid more, adding after school programs to aide students not understanding/comprehending and last but not least improve the teacher training programs.

Back