West named new Alcorn B'ball Head Coach

Antroy

COACH WEST IS THE NEW MAN AT ALCORN!

Special To BlackMississippi.com

The Alcorn State University athletics department officially announces the promotion of assistant men?s basketball coach Samuel West to the rank of head coach pending the College Board?s approval.

West replaces longtime legendary head coach Davey L. Whitney who officially announced his retirement at the conclusion of this season. The Natchez, Mississippi native spent the previous seven seasons as the Braves? assistant basketball coach who was instrumental in helping Alcorn State win their last three regular season Southwestern Athletic Conference titles along with the team?s last two trips to the NCAA tournament.

Alcorn State?s athletic director Robert H.J. Raines felt that this appointment was a positive move for the basketball program. ?We have had the unusual opportunity to evaluate Coach West over the past seven years. Coach West has been a very loyal and dedicated assistant to Coach Davey Whitney. His outstanding knowledge of the game, strong recruiting background and great rapport with the student-athletes, university personnel and supporters demonstrates his readiness for the assignment. We have in Coach West, the right man for the job.?

West served as the head boys basketball coach at Northwest Rankin High School from 1991 until 1995. He won over 20 games at Northwest Rankin in 1992, 1993 and 1995.

From 1987-91, West was an assistant coach at Delta State University, were he served as the head recruiter and academic advisor. At Delta State, the Statesmen were ranked in the Top-5 in Division II and recorded two 20-win seasons while he was there.

He also served as the head boys coach at North Natchez High School in Natchez from 1983 to 87, where he boasted a 76-15 record and was named the State and Metro Coach of the Year in 1986. At North Natchez they were both the Big Eight Champs and State Champs in 1985 and 1986 respectively.

West along with assistant football coach John McKenzie are current sponsors of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes where the Outreach Ministries are touching lives on campus and the surrounding areas.

He has been involved with this program since his arrival on campus.

As an athlete, West was a stellar point guard on the hardwood who had an outstanding playing career. As a prepster at North Natchez High School, he earned All-Conference and All-State honors along with being the team captain. West?s accomplishments on the hardwood were good enough for him to earn a scholarship to Copiah-Lincoln Community College.

While at Copiah-Lincoln, West was a standout athlete who earned letters in both basketball and track. On the hardwood, he earned All-Conference, All-State and All-Region VII honors in both his freshman and sophomore seasons. As a sophomore, West helped to lead his team to both the State and Regional Championship in which the team posted a third place finish in the national junior college tournament. In addition, he is the current NJCAA national tournament single game and overall tournament assist record holder with 17 and 33 assists respectively. While in junior college, West was listed among the Who?s Who Among College Students. In 1998, he became the first African-American to have ever been inducted into the school?s Hall of Fame.

After a stellar junior college career, West took his talents to Texas Southern University in Houston, Texas where he served as the team captain during both his junior and senior seasons. As a senior, he helped to lead the Tigers to both a Southwestern Athletic Conference and national NAIA championship in 1977.

?Coach Sam West brings a wealth of experience and talent to the Alcorn State University program. I think that he is a very outstanding young coach,? said Davey Whitney. ?Sam works hard and is dedicated to the game of basketball. He brings to the university the kind of dedication that is needed to continue our uphill climb.?

West received his Bachelor?s Degree in History in 1977 from Texas Southern University in Houston, Texas and earned his Master?s Degree in Health & Physical Education in 1980 from Jackson State University. He is a 1973 graduate of North Natchez High School in Natchez. West is married to the former Theresa Dunbar of Natchez and they are the proud parents of Temmetria (22), Connie (16) and Taylor (14).

I'm sure glad y'all didn't hire Luther Riley from Provine High, as I had heard y'all might. I didn't wanna imagine Luther taking a coupla of his studs down to the reservation.

Impressive resume...hope he keeps it going. Tough replacing a legend but I think this will be a good transition.

Congrat to my alum, Sammy West. Sammy was a member of TSU 1977 NAIA National Championship team.

I think West will do a good job.I am glad that they stuck with the plan.

He will have a full deck to deal with,it is not like he has to rebuild or start over.

" GO WEST'...........................

BRAVES .............2003-04

Blu,

Sam Weaver coached at Alcorn and Northern Iowa before. He is now an assistant at Mississippi State. He was in the running for the Tennessee State job.

Back