Web Developers/Software Engineers

Killer Bees

I am just curious. How many of you are web developers/software engineers? If so, what languages do you know? Do you have a product already developed?

Right now I know

ASP.Net (Visual Basic.Net at work and C# at home)
ASP (VBScript and a little classic Visual Basic)
PHP
SQL

I am currently in the process of writing a real estate related script.

LOL

Bees, you should've titled this: What languages DON'T you know or What languages have you not been exposed to yet. lol

As far as already developed code bases lol, well... We both would prolly die if I listed the things that I've personally written that I <b>know</b> is still being used today.

I can give you SOME examples of things that have put my name in the lights and that I'm overly proud to advocate, so to speak, for certain corps. lol The others are corp/intellectual proprietary and I can't speak on them. Watch how I bounce around w/ respect to entities and what they produce.

As an undergrad @ PV, I developed an appl for the financial aid dept that's still being used to this very day (I frequently return just to ensure it's health and discuss it's probable future) lol

@ AT&T Bell Labs (Lucent), I'd written application software for.... their old advanced 1-800 DASD service (consisted of replicated network nodes called NCPs blah blah blah and you should know the rest lol).

Can't speak for the defense industry obviously. lol

For Burlington Northern/Santa Fe: Some of their national train tracking/laden/boxcar tracking software....

Can't speak for the travel industry obviously. lol (Old Sabre, Apollo, World Span, and System One ATC/CSR systems)

Ever rode on an A-320 Airbus? Yep. Those frequented trips to Europe back in the gap weren't for nothing. lol

For Cingular? Some of their old 'advanced' PCS related capabilities on Nok devcs as well as joint devl work on Nortel switches. lol

For AT&T Wireless? Currently national based apps: Anytime you access their website :D, rate plan analyzer :D, credit checker+, upgrade your phone/device(s), shipping/recving... that's me and 3-4 other devls who created those systems. :D

I just created something (@ home :rolleyes: ) that <b>United Airlines and Southwest Airlines</b> are overly interested in (support software using CORBA compliant Java). Those previous contacts paid off and we'll see what transpires.

I have 'decent' knowledge and I will admit that I am a hacker. The problem that I currently have is that I was forced to sign agreements w/ certain corps stating that my thoughts and development material(s) were solely owned by the corps and that I wouldn't compete w/ their core business units for "X" years (unfortunately) either independently or w/ a competing corp.

Be weary of intellectual property agreements. They could come back and bite you in the arse. :( I feel like I've almost put my resume' out here. lol :emlaugh:

Panthro said:
LOL

Bees, you should've titled this: What languages DON'T you know or What languages have you not been exposed to yet. lol

As far as already developed code bases lol, well... We both would prolly die if I listed the things that I've personally written that I <b>know</b> is still being used today.

I can give you SOME examples of things that have put my name in the lights and that I'm overly proud to advocate, so to speak, for certain corps. lol The others are corp/intellectual proprietary and I can't speak on them. Watch how I bounce around w/ respect to entities and what they produce.

As an undergrad @ PV, I developed an appl for the financial aid dept that's still being used to this very day (I frequently return just to ensure it's health and discuss it's probable future) lol

@ AT&T Bell Labs (Lucent), I'd written application software for.... their old advanced 1-800 DASD service (consisted of replicated network nodes called NCPs blah blah blah and you should know the rest lol).

Can't speak for the defense industry obviously. lol

For Burlington Northern/Santa Fe: Some of their national train tracking/laden/boxcar tracking software....

Can't speak for the travel industry obviously. lol (Old Sabre, Apollo, World Span, and System One ATC/CSR systems)

Ever rode on an A-320 Airbus? Yep. Those frequented trips to Europe back in the gap weren't for nothing. lol

For Cingular? Some of their old 'advanced' PCS related capabilities on Nok devcs as well as joint devl work on Nortel switches. lol

For AT&T Wireless? Currently national based apps: Anytime you access their website :D, rate plan analyzer :D, credit checker+, upgrade your phone/device(s), shipping/recving... that's me and 3-4 other devls who created those systems. :D

I just created something (@ home :rolleyes: ) that <b>United Airlines and Southwest Airlines</b> are overly interested in (support software using CORBA compliant Java). Those previous contacts paid off and we'll see what transpires.

I have 'decent' knowledge and I will admit that I am a hacker. The problem that I currently have is that I was forced to sign agreements w/ certain corps stating that my thoughts and development material(s) were solely owned by the corps and that I wouldn't compete w/ their core business units for "X" years (unfortunately) either independently or w/ a competing corp.

Be weary of intellectual property agreements. They could come back and bite you in the arse. :( I feel like I've almost put my resume' out here. lol :emlaugh:

Man, how did you get your clients?

Gve me some pointers please. I am a EE/hardware guy trying to come over to the software world. I am considering going back to get me a CS degree because I see software devlopers are taking over the industry!!!!

If you are going back to school and you really really want to be a developer, then CS is the way to go. Be warned though because it ain't for everybody. There are a lot of people who get into the field for the money only to be burned out in the end. You definitely have to have a logical mind and PATIENCE!!!

Make sure the CS program talks about Object Oriented programming. That is a must for a software engineer. The concepts of Object Oriented programming is independant of the language although most colleges use C++ or Java to teach you the concept.

Panthro said:
LOL

Thats probably your shat I was gettin ready to clean outta there LOL...

I would agree with Panthro on the languages. I will tell you I know any language you name....pick up and book and in about and hour that will be true. my favorite is PHP though.

Well heres some of my list....

PV
Student employment system(still in use) - position posting and job application/resume system (had a ton of development in the pipeline for this one)

Faculty/Staff position posting system(still in use) - basic online position posting deal on the schools website...I started from a simple open source code base for this one and the one above

NASA
Test Data Tracking system(still in use)

IEC
H3LL I darn near re-wrote their entire company LOL. They were in the business of reporting transactions to the SEC for other companies and individuals. I along with another cat totaly overhauled their online SEC reporting systems. I wrote their first automated billing system and their first online account creation system. I did a ton over other stuff there too.

Boeing - Internship
Internship - "close call" reporting system - allowed employees to report mishaps waiting to happen

Current Job
Change Management System

At Home
Trouble ticket reporting system - I hope to expand this into an entire knowledge management tool

message board system - i hope to bring about the next evolution of message boards just for fun

Say Panthro how do you get these contacts at the companies?

This bah (BLAQUE) up yonda' ^^^^^^^^ is the future of current PV grads (sharper than "L"). He should be though. He graduated from the curriculum that several (inclusive of moi :D) put together to be competitive in not only the work place but in advanced degree completion as well (as ALL SWAC curriculums are). :tup: I'm the <b>pass</b>. :( Hey BLAQUE, leave my stuff alone man! It was Y2K compliant back in 1986. :emlaugh: :bawling: lol

Clients? Nope. Those were all permanent staff positions. The way that I was "farmed" out, so to speak, was weird though. Joint devl ventures betwixt (like that? lol) corps that had me in the right place @ the right time to take advantage of the networking and learning experiences.

The main thing that I've learned w/in the last 10 or so years is that it pays to network in our arena and be overly careful of burning bridges. And, don't limit your network to just American based either (feel me?). Global economy? Global network. Get to know and work w/ those people because there are several <b>interleaved</b> relationships between many @ several unrelated corporations in several countries. The last 3 positions that I was hired in have come about just by word of mouth hiring of prev familiarity. Even this last position that I formally accepted a few weeks ago, I interviewed (informally) in <b>shorts and tee-shirt</b> over lunch (still can't believe that I did that :shame: ). Granted, I've known the VP @ this corp for the last 6 years, but still....

As for the contacts w/ United Airlines and Southwest? Small world. Similar/Familiar technologies and just.... talking when I travel. I've developed this 7th sense, so to speak, where if I witness a perceived problem, I feel that a <b>viable and effective</b> software solution can be produced. Hence, I noted problems @ United and SW and created something over one weekend that would solve both of their problems. Contacts w/in the corps retrieved IT corp DHs phone #s and the rest is history. They were interested so I demo'd @ their expense. They offered, I refused due to intellectual rights belonging to AWE (@ that time) and we're @ a stalemate now. lol

Be like CISCO and <b>network</b> your arse off AND... never get enough learning. The day you stop learning is the day you become obselete. Be good @ everything possible. Learn everything possible. My philosophy: <b>good enough is never well enough. Practice makes improvement not perfection</b>.

I'm done. I'm beginning to sound like the elders who preached to me during my work crab years (first 5 years removed from undergrad).

Salve'. :smash:
ps:
I forgot to mention ol' big blue (IBM) up there due to the advanced-stage DASD RAID systems being shelved for future use :rolleyes:. (what a waste of $$$$) Albeit it was a great experience (gained great AIX/-OS/2 / X/MOTIF Widget programming experience). Their C Set/C++ Set languages weren't the "C" or "C++" that I'd become accustomed to @ the LD comp. lol

^^^^^^ Shat don't stop.....PREACH. The IT/software dev field is a tricky arse game. My current position may begin to lead me away from it but thats where my real potential is. Networking with people is the main place I need to step it up. I am pretty good at analyzing problems and providing solutions at a company but in my current position I see it may take years just to understand what the h3ll goes on here lol.

I also hope to get my own solutions company off the ground but I see the intellectual property mess is a monster. I spent my entire time at the IEC company fighting them over rights to stuff that had nothing to do with them.

I spent my entire time at the IEC company fighting them over rights to stuff that had nothing to do with them.

I pretty much assume if in fact you are an employee of that company, whatever support or code you provide is property of that company, particularly if whatever you do was done with proprietary equipment or software. If it is not proprietary, then I don't see how they can lay claim outside of the "name" of the product.

Killer Bees said:
I pretty much assume if in fact you are an employee of that company, whatever support or code you provide is property of that company, particularly if whatever you do was done with proprietary equipment or software. If it is not proprietary, then I don't see how they can lay claim outside of the "name" of the product.

LOL if you read the contract the way it was worded....whatever I did at home in my own time that was not completed before I began working there, whether is was my sole effort or the collaboration of me and a partner or group, whether is had to do with the company business and technology or not became the property of the company. :shame:

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
LOL if you read the contract the way it was worded....whatever I did at home in my own time that was not completed before I began working there, whether is was my sole effort or the collaboration of me and a partner or group, whether is had to do with the company business and technology or not became the property of the company. :shame:

That makes no sense. :confused:

How would they even know if you were doing something at home? And even then, it has nothing to do with them.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:

*fanning church fan* Welllllllllllllll........ Preach it bah! Preach it!!!!! :mad: *throwing handkerchief up*

KB, you may want to revisit your legal dept/hr dept to see everything that you signed. Whether the corp has a legal BU or not relating to what you've (will) created is not the issue. That's what the big to-do was over the last 7-8 years: intellectual property. Your <b>thoughts and everything that is born because your <u>thoughts</u> </b> belong to them. (esp if you're in the public sector) In the defense industry, it gets even stranger (esp if you have <b>those</b> clearances).

If it makes a dollar, they want the dollar. lol If they find out you're doing it? Well... I guess a fed charge is better than a state felony charge. lol

Mind you, I was working for a wireless telecomm corp. I <b>created</b> something for a travel based entity (and it dealt w/ their employees scheduling system for dom flights - there I let the cat out of the bag lol). I <b>worked (literally)</b> physically alongside the wireless corp's legal dept. I talked to their lawyers CONSTANTLY about the matter and to no avail, they wanted to see<b>it</b> once I asked questions about another employee developing it.

Developed on MY computer, using MY electricity, using MY compiler/translator, using MY internet service, using MY ports to THEIR CRS systems, on MY time, ... and the wireless corp saw the potential in it once United's legal dept contacted the wireless corps legal dept (I did get a nice raise and more SOs from the wireless corp though lol). I could've easily been in Chicago right now working for United because <b>that's</b> what their IT DH wanted me to do (quit wireless and hire on w/ them since they were still "green" and get the ball REALLY rolling lol - "L", it took'em 4ever to go paperless tix - dizzam a group of us proposed that to them back in '94(?) sheesh).

At any rate, get those legal ends tied for sure. :tup:

BLAQUE, I'mma start calling you "Nemo" young grasshopper. lol You've got some great experience developing. :tup:

Back