We all knew it was coming

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Mr. Tiger,

Ask your president that question. I am sure he will explain to you his vote on the 9-game mandate. I am sure he can also explain to you what his argument, for it or against it, was to the other SWAC presidents/chancellors.

I will attempt to get an answer to my question because with Division I-A programs searching for I-AA teams to play, it makes no sense to have schedules that are so restrictive.

I don't see how the 9 game mandate stops teams from playing 1a teams Gram did it last year, Alcorn is doing it this upcoming season. The truth is outside Gram, Jackson st and SU very few 1a teams want to play a SWAC team hince the 9 game mandate. GR you shole is hard on the commish but the swac has all the same deals the Meac has as a matter of fact they signed them together. The Meac even use the SWAC model to negoiate there move to there new location. Isn't Dennis Thomas, Dr. Johnny Thomas brother?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
bigtyme2 said:
I don't see how the 9 game mandate stops teams from playing 1a teams Gram did it last year, Alcorn is doing it this upcoming season. The truth is outside Gram, Jackson st and SU very few 1a teams want to play a SWAC team hince the 9 game mandate. GR you shole is hard on the commish but the swac has all the same deals the Meac has as a matter of fact they signed them together. The Meac even use the SWAC model to negoiate there move to there new location. Isn't Dennis Thomas, Dr. Johnny Thomas brother?

I already made point of that fact. He ain't gon answer ya.

bigtyme2 said:

Starting next season, the NCAA is going to allow teams to schedule more Division I-AA schools. In the past, there were strict limits on how many wins a I-A team could count against a Division I-AA school. That's why it was hard for SWAC schools to get games against Division I-AA team. The 9-game mandate means you can only schedule two non-conference games so for Jackson State that hurts because we already have Tennessee State locked in so that leaves only ONE spot for a Division I-A school. And I don't know of ANY other conference with a mandate that everyone has to play everyone in conference.

Get Ready said:
Ralph,

We need a real leader in the office....actually we need ANY leader. the SWAC commissioner is so dumb, incompetent, and unforgivably ignorant its ridiculous. A child could do better than this guy.

:slap:

Mr. Tiger it started last year 1aa teams don't count against strength of schedule. Even with that how many 1a teams do you think any 1aa worth its salt is gonna play in one season usually it's 1 as I said before the 9 game mandate does not prevent any from playing a 1a school or anybody else for that matter. Most conferences with ten members or less mandate that all teams must play each other or they are declared enelgible for the championship.

bigtyme2 said:
Mr. Tiger it started last year 1aa teams don't count against strength of schedule. Even with that how many 1a teams do you think any 1aa worth its salt is gonna play in one season usually it's 1 as I said before the 9 game mandate does not prevent any from playing a 1a school or anybody else for that matter. Most conferences with ten members or less mandate that all teams must play each other or they are declared enelgible for the championship.

Division I-A teams could not count wins against Division I-AA teams every year until next season. That means under the old rule, if LSU played a Division I-AA team next season and won, LSU couldn't count that as a win to get eligible for a bowl game because they played App State last year. That is a major change. Now LSU can count one Division I-AA win every year. That opens up more opportunities for SWAC teams to play Division I schools. And most conferences that split into two divisions don't mandate that every school play each other. Check the SEC and others. And the PAC-10 doesn't mandate every one play every one. They play 8 conference games and they have 10 members. Matter of fact the SWAC is the only conference in Division I period that is split into two divisions with only 10 teams, then mandates that everyone plays everyone. :retard:

Mr. Tiger said:
Division I-A teams could not count wins against Division I-AA teams every year until next season. That means under the old rule, if LSU played a Division I-AA team next season and won, LSU couldn't count that as a win to get eligible for a bowl game because they played App State last year. That is a major change...
You mean until last season. That change was "emergency legislation allowing Division I-A teams to count one win each year against a Division I-AA opponent for bowl eligibility beginning with the 2005 season." The I-AA squad has to average around 57 schollies over a rolling period for it to count for a I-A squad.
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=69623

C-LeB28 said:
The MEAC Commissioner came to the conference office from Hampton right?
The MEAC Commissioner made the comment that they are looking into a conference championship game right?
The MEAC Commissioner made the comment that they are looking renewing some semblence of a Heritage Bowl with the SWAC right?
The MEAC Commissioner came to Hampton from Alcorn State right?

MEAC considers break from inclusion

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/co...00677.column?page=2&coll=dp-sports-columnists

MEAC considers break from inclusion

Dave Fairbank

February 18 2006

Word that the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference aims to expand, stage a league championship football game and be part of a postseason bowl to determine the black college national champion leads to a deduction:

Inclusion is negotiable.

MEAC commissioner Dennis Thomas sees a possibility to make some money off of football for his conference schools.

Nothing wrong with that. It's darn near the American Way.

But in order to do so, the MEAC and its Historically Black College and University counterpart, the Southwestern Athletic Conference, must bid adios to the NCAA playoff system that crowns a Division I-AA national champion every year.

Thomas and others are banking on the notion that black folks and more importantly, corporations, are willing to invest in Grambling and Hampton and Howard football and the accompanying hoo-ha: bands, parties, step shows, fashion shows, general camaraderie.

They also are banking on the idea that some unspecified amount of money offsets the chance to play for a national championship.

Notice that the MEAC is talking about Division I-AA football and not Division I basketball and the megabucks NCAA tournament.

The MEAC is essentially saying: We're happy to be part of the group when it's financially beneficial to us, but if we think there's a more lucrative deal elsewhere, we're outta here.

Understand that Division I-AA football, funded at the highest level, is a losing proposition. You can count on one hand the number of I-AA programs in the country that make money.

Several HBCUs, Hampton University among them, participate in various "classics" around the country. They take their football teams on the road, usually to NFL cities, for the exposure and for guarantees of varying amounts - though a chunk of the guaranteed money often is eaten up by travel expenses.

Opting out of the NCAA football playoff process isn't unprecedented. The Ivy League does not participate, supposedly for reasons of academics and missed class time (though those concerns somehow disappear during the NCAA basketball tournament).

The SWAC often is not represented in the I-AA playoffs, either, because league members Grambling and Southern play the annual "Bayou Classic" on Thanksgiving weekend, which coincides with the first round of the playoffs.

The game fills the Louisiana Superdome, earns millions in tourist revenue for New Orleans and reportedly gets each school roughly a $1 million payout.

That's what Thomas envisions with the long-range plan he recently floated. He sees a 12- or 14-team MEAC within the next several years split into two divisions.

The league would hold a conference championship between the division winners. The champ then would face the SWAC champ in a resurrected Heritage Bowl for the black college national championship.

"We'll generate significant, significant revenue for the conference and the institutions that participate," Thomas told Daily Press reporter Marty O'Brien.

Again, far be it from us to put the kibosh on another man's cash flow, but the dollars are questionable and the entire venture has an uncomfortably retro feel to it - as in going back to the '40s, '50s and '60s when segregated teams would win championships and then be left to stare at each other across the tracks wondering what would happen if they played.

Granted, integration has eliminated many of those barriers. Blacks and whites compete with and against each other all the time, at all levels, at all schools.

But if the MEAC and SWAC go hand-in-hand down the black college intramural path, it could create some interesting conversations between recruits and HBCU football coaches.

Recruit: Will I get to play for a championship?

Coach: You'll get to play for a conference championship and a Heritage Bowl title.

Recruit: What about the national championship?

Coach: You'll get to play for the Black College National Championship.

Recruit: How many black colleges are there?

Coach: Lots, but only a couple dozen playing Division I football.

Recruit: Why doesn't your school play for the regular national championship?

Coach: Because our commissioners and school administrators decided they could make some money by splintering off and doing it another way.

Recruit: Didn't our parents and grandparents march and struggle and sacrifice to be included, not excluded?

Coach: Look, kid, do you want the scholarship or not?

Hampton coach Joe Taylor, for one, has said that he wanted to upgrade his non-conference schedule to better prepare for postseason. The Pirates are 0-3 in the I-AA playoffs, including a loss last fall.

If the MEAC and SWAC follow through, however, the list of programs against which Hampton and others measure themselves becomes shorter, not longer.

Playoff appearances and championship rings don't pay the light bill, or the track scholarship, for that matter, where I-AA football is concerned.

Thomas and others believe the MEAC has an opportunity. If 5-7 years down the road there isn't the interest or the corporate dollars, the MEAC and SWAC figure to be welcomed back to the NCAA party.

That would be the inclusive thing to do.

Dave Fairbank can be reached at 247-4637 or by e-mail at dfairbank@dailypress.com

Copyright ? 2006, Daily Press

:topic: Monday SU's Basketball game against Bama St will be televised by CSTV @ 8:00PM. The Women will tip off @ 5:00 PM, and the Men will tip off at 8:00PM. I will be watching.

Jag-BR said:
:topic: Monday SU's Basketball game against Bama St will be televised by CSTV @ 8:00PM. The Women will tip off @ 5:00 PM, and the Men will tip off at 8:00PM. I will be watching.

let me get this st8..it will be televised live in BATON ROUGE on CSTV?

IF SO THATS MORE THAN GR8!

Re: MEAC considers break from inclusion

orange tiger said:
Recruit: Didn't our parents and grandparents march and struggle and sacrifice to be included, not excluded?

I can truly see an 18 year old asking this question? Please, this question is the last thing on their mind.

Also, after reading everyone's comments on other message boards it's amazing how those who are against this potential move can post his/her assessment to this debate and make it seem as if it's the only logical answer.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have DirectTV, so It will be on 610. I'm about to order it, and while I'm at it I can get ESPNU. I have been missing alot on this. :smh:

I-A non-BCS schools don't compete for national championships either. I wonder do they ask some of those same questions when recruited.

Orange Tiger,

Good Point C-LeB2! No, The battle ground for Civil Rights were fought to create an environment from a national stand point such that civil rights would be an enforceable right or privilege in acted by the federal government in which if interfered with by another gives rise to an action for injury. Examples of civil rights are freedom of speech, press, assembly, the right to vote, freedom from involuntary servitude, and the right to equality in public places.

1865 (Reconstruction to 1954)
The most important expansion of civil rights in the United States was the enactment of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments. Some ten years later that the land mark Supreme Court ruling. The Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery throughout the United States.

1954 (1954 to 1963)
The Supreme Court rules on the landmark case Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kans., unanimously agreeing that segregation in public schools is unconstitutional. The ruling paves the way for large-scale desegregation. The decision overturns the 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson ruling that sanctioned "separate but equal" segregation of the races, ruling that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal." It is a victory for NAACP attorney Thurgood Marshall, who will later return to the Supreme Court as the nation's first black justice.

1964 (The 1964 Civil Rights Act to the Present)
For the first time since the Supreme Court ruled on segregation in public schools in 1954, the federal government had a means of enforcing desegregation; Title VI of the act barred the use of federal funds for segregated programs and schools. In 1964 only two southern states (Tennessee and Texas) had more than 2% of their black students enrolled in integrated schools. It was the most sweeping civil rights legislation since Reconstruction, the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination of all kinds based on race, color, religion, or national origin. The law also provides the federal government with the powers to enforce desegregation.

Since we are reviewing this in terms of athletics in an higher educational setting and environment we should understand that Civil Rights are to ensure equal access to education and to promote educational excellence throughout the nation through vigorous enforcement of civil rights.

So, remember the Civil Rights were fought under the premise of equality, not so much on simply ending segregation with integration. Many of those leaders that fought believed that fighting for equality under the premises on the injustices of segregation was the most influential and overt to fight for equality.

Finally, many would suggest that the final chapter of Civil Rights, which many have further coined Human Rights is in search of not only equality, but more importantly equity in terms of financial stability of families, communities, and institutions (education and business) i.e. economic development. I believe at the core of this debate is the equity regarding the financial resources and economic development regarding athletics in educating students at our HBCU institutions.

Back