VUU Plays in National Championship Today!

Nonchalant

Hail, Hail To Thee...
Where: On CBS

Who: Virginia Union University - Panthers Vs. Winona State University (MN) - Warriors

When: 1 pm

Lets support our fellow HBCU today by tuning in as they go for back-to-back Divisional II National Championships. :bowdown:

...Carry On..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Oh yeah, the game starts at 1 pm EST which mean its on right now.

The Panters are going for their 4th National Champion, Coach Dave Robbins is going for win #669, and they're on a 13-game win streak (30-3)! I wonder why no other bigger Black Colleges have tried to steal him by now...dude is seriously underated. Let's go, VUU! :ebrow:

...Carry On..

Nonchalant said:
Oh yeah, the game starts at 1 pm EST which mean its on right now.

The Panters are going for their 4th National Champion, Coach Dave Robbins is going for win #669, and they're on a 13-game win streak (30-3)! I wonder why no other bigger Black Colleges have tried to steal him by now...dude is seriously underated. Let's go, VUU! :ebrow:

...Carry On..
VUU 12
Winona 19.

12:28 1st P

They're not playing the organized Dave Robbins-style ball they're known for. :angry:

VUU-21

Winona State-36 4:31 1 Half

Big ups to Earl "The Pearl" Monrone for showing up and shedding some light on the history of CIAA and Black College b-ball.

...Carry On..

They've cut the lead down to 9 at Halftime b/c of the zone. They need to cut down on the turnovers, blocked shots and guarding the 3.

VUU-29
Winona-38

...Carry On..

Nonchalant said:
I wonder why no other bigger Black Colleges have tried to steal him by now...dude is seriously underated. Let's go, VUU! :ebrow:

...Carry On..

Most HBCU's are scared to think OUTSIDE the box when it comes to football and basketball. IF he were BLACK aint no way in hell he would still be at VUU. He has accomplished more in HBCU basketball than ANY basketball coach has.

DAHILL said:
He has accomplished more in HBCU basketball than ANY basketball coach has.

Let me introduce you to to this man son:

Clarence "Big House" Gaines
clarencegaines1.JPG

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Gaines.htm

Coached 47 years at Winston-Salem State

Compiled a remarkable 828-447 (.649) record

His teams won 20 or more games 18 times

His teams were up-tempo, fast-breaking units that relied heavily on speed and athleticism to overwhelm opponents

Coached Winston-Salem to 12 Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) championships

His 1967 squad-his best ever, led by future Hall of Fame Earl "The Pearl" Monroe-compiled a 31-1 record and
Winston-Salem State became the first predominantly black school to win an NCAA basketball title, winning the
Division II crown

Named NCAA College Division Basketball Coach of the Year (1967)

CIAA Basketball Coach of the Year (1961, 1963, 1970, 1975, 1980)

CIAA Outstanding Tournament Coach (1957, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1966, 1970, 1972, 1979)

Honored with the NABC/MIBA/NIT award (1978)

Indiana Sports Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award (1990)

Atlanta Tipoff Club Lifetime Achievement Award (1991)

Retired in 1993 with 828 wins, making him the second winningest coach in NCAA history behind legendary Adolph Rupp

Namesake of the C.E. Gaines Center at Winston-Salem State University

Enshrined in seven other Halls of Fame: NAIA Helms (1968), Morgan State College Sports (1973), CIAA Sports (1976), North Carolina Sports (1978), Winston-Salem State University (1980), Bob Douglas (1985) and National
Association for Sport and Physical Education (1990)

Yeah, I was about to mentioned Big House. Coach Robbins just has more National Titles than Big House.

BTW, VUU lost by 12. Good showing and great season, though. Also, big ups to Shaw University's women's team...they lost in the Elite 8 the other night by a point, I believe.

...Carry On..

JROCK said:
Let me introduce you to to this man son:

Clarence "Big House" Gaines
clarencegaines1.JPG

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Gaines.htm

Coached 47 years at Winston-Salem State

Compiled a remarkable 828-447 (.649) record

His teams won 20 or more games 18 times

His teams were up-tempo, fast-breaking units that relied heavily on speed and athleticism to overwhelm opponents

Coached Winston-Salem to 12 Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) championships

His 1967 squad-his best ever, led by future Hall of Fame Earl "The Pearl" Monroe-compiled a 31-1 record and
Winston-Salem State became the first predominantly black school to win an NCAA basketball title, winning the
Division II crown

Named NCAA College Division Basketball Coach of the Year (1967)

CIAA Basketball Coach of the Year (1961, 1963, 1970, 1975, 1980)

CIAA Outstanding Tournament Coach (1957, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1966, 1970, 1972, 1979)

Honored with the NABC/MIBA/NIT award (1978)

Indiana Sports Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award (1990)

Atlanta Tipoff Club Lifetime Achievement Award (1991)

Retired in 1993 with 828 wins, making him the second winningest coach in NCAA history behind legendary Adolph Rupp

Namesake of the C.E. Gaines Center at Winston-Salem State University

Enshrined in seven other Halls of Fame: NAIA Helms (1968), Morgan State College Sports (1973), CIAA Sports (1976), North Carolina Sports (1978), Winston-Salem State University (1980), Bob Douglas (1985) and National
Association for Sport and Physical Education (1990)

I am aware of Big House Gains.... but its hard to compare the two eras.... When Big House coached the HBCU's were getting the best BLACK talent... its not the same now..... plus he coached almost 50 years so of course he is going to have the most wins.... Robbins is winning in an era where HBCU's arent getting the best Black talent and has more NCAA championships than Big House.

Dont get me wrong, Dave Robbins is a great coach... As one who worked in the CIAA for a number of years, and even worked for "Chief" (Big House) for a few years before he was FORCED out... It aint even close as to the comparisons... Big House is LEGENDARY.... RIP Chief..

JROCK and Anonymous,

Dont get me wrong, Dave Robbins is a great coach... As one who worked in the CIAA for a number of years, and even worked for "Chief" (Big House) for a few years before he was FORCED out... It aint even close as to the comparisons... Big House is LEGENDARY.... RIP Chief..

From what I have researched, scene on tape, interviewed, and heard. I agree wholeheartedly, not even a close race.

I was at the game!!!

Virginia Union definitely didn't play their style of basketball! :mad:

They would NOT clog the middle every time Winona drove in...it was ridiculous!
They left #23 open all game long, and he was KILLING them with 3's!

And with all of that...VUU STILL should've won the game! :smh:
They made Winona State look a lot better than they really were...

:topic:

It WAS enjoyable to watch some HBCU Sports waaay up here, though! :D

Back