Valley at the 1965 Tournament of Roses Parade

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Which is?

My high school was corps style. My senior year, our new band director was a Valley grad. At first we were pissed because he didn't switch our style but I came to respect his perspective. It just seems like Valley was at its best back in the day (before my time)when they were more corps style instead of trying to be like other schools in the swac. It made them more unique, IMO. With the Black exodus to the suburbs, the traditional showstyle programs are dying on the vine. There are probably more Black kids marching corps style than showstyle these days and that's a fertile recruiting base

Last edited:
My high school was corps style. My senior year, our new band director was a Valley grad. At first we were pissed because he didn't switch our style but I came to respect his perspective. It just seems like Valley was at its best back in the day (before my time)when they were more corps style instead of trying to be like other schools in the swac. It made them more unique, IMO. With the Black exodus to the suburbs, the traditional showstyle programs are dying on the vine. There are probably more Black kids marching corps style than showstyle these days and that's a fertile recruiting base

Do you want them to just go back to the corps style of marching, or should they go back to that style of marching as well as start doing corps style halftime shows?

Do you want them to just go back to the corps style of marching, or should they go back to that style of marching as well as start doing corps style halftime shows?

In the grand scheme of things, I don't care. Its not my school. Im just saying that whatever they're doing now doesn't seem to be working

In the grand scheme of things, I don't care. Its not my school. Im just saying that whatever they're doing now doesn't seem to be working

Lol I think that has to do with the administration’s lack of support for the band program and lack of overall funding for the school.

I was going to say location at first, but Alcorn is literally in the middle of the woods but they have an amazing and good sized band. If the powers to be at MVSU can find a way to bring in some money to the school, athletics and the band will improve.

Talladega built up a quality program in less than 10 years but they had the support and funding for it. Valley needs the same!

Back