University of Michigan Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da_Sperm

With all the talk about War coverage, I think this case has take a BIG backseat.

I myself know that their is still racism in our society today, but I don't believe a person should be rewarded an opportunity based on their skin color. I feel that Black America would be more competitive in without things like this in place. Make no mistake, we have benefited as a race from Affirmitive Action, but it is time to stand on our own two feet and prove we don't need this to compete in today's society.

What are we going to do to ensure we get opportunities without the aid of Affirmitive Action, I DON'T KNOW. But until we are without it, we will never know because we depend on it.

Sperm: You're bringin' the topics today! :tup:

For a long time I felt AA was necessary to right the wrong that was done for our people and women. How long have we had AA in action? How many of us took advantage of it in comparison to those who did not?

I am a firm believer in being independent. If AA is taken away it will separate the "movers and shakers" from the "slackers".

However, I am NOT suggestion that those who benefited from AA were slackers. However, I am stating that IF anyone did benefit and was a slacker, he will be forced to stand on his own two feet or fall down...

My grandma says "every cup has to sit on its own bottom".

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Well, if we can't get hired any other way due to the color of our skin, what are we to do?

I truly believe this is how I got my job. If you'd come up to my job, you'd see what I mean. Not that my own merits and skills aren't up to snuff, but come on...do we really think we're all getting these positions solely on our skills, education, etc. I think NOT.

I agree fully....here at Arkansas they hire some blacks just to say that they have blacks in these high profile positions. Yet, the blacks began fugging up and wonder why they are not being promoted. I hate people who ustilize their race to gain a promotion or acceptance to a university.

Furthermore, it's by CHANCE that you are black. Then when we don't get a job...we utilize the excuse that we were not hired because we are black. Honestly, when you don't finish college, or you don't want to get a Master's don't be mad when you don't get the raise that a white guy who has a Master's got.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
I myself know that their is still racism in our society today, but I don't believe a person should be rewarded an opportunity based on their skin color. I feel that Black America would be more competitive in without things like this in place. Make no mistake, we have benefited as a race from Affirmitive Action, but it is time to stand on our own two feet and prove we don't need this to compete in today's society.

What are we going to do to ensure we get opportunities without the aid of Affirmitive Action, I DON'T KNOW. But until we are without it, we will never know because we depend on it.

To me....I look at how I got my job because of my skills. If I look at it solely because of my race....it will become a crutch.

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
Well, if we can't get hired any other way due to the color of our skin, what are we to do?

I truly believe this is how I got my job. If you'd come up to my job, you'd see what I mean. Not that my own merits and skills aren't up to snuff, but come on...do we really think we're all getting these positions solely on our skills, education, etc. I think NOT.

Dtown: This is true. But this may force us to open our own businesses...instead of working for someone else.

We can do it, but I digress... I know we have to start somewhere...even if that means working for someone else...

I just think that we are a rich people with lots of culture and resources that have yet to be discovered...

A lot of people STILL TODAY, DO NOT GET HIRED ALL BECAUSE OF THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN.

Yes, we as black people have come a long way, but we still have a looooooooooooooong way to go.

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Dtown: This is true. But this may force us to open our own businesses...instead of working for someone else.

We can do it, but I digress... I know we have to start somewhere...even if that means working for someone else...

I just think that we are a rich people with lots of culture and resources that have yet to be discovered...

Kema,

I totally agree, I'm not knocking that at all...I'm just saying that, I truly believe had it not been for Affirmative Action, a lot of us would NOT have these positions at these companies.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
To me....I look at how I got my job because of my skills. If I look at it solely because of my race....it will become a crutch.

But what if, with your skills, you DON'T get hired and a white person with HALF your credentials does get hired? That's what AA is meant to prevent.

Nupe: there is more to it ... <b>re: not getting the raise or promotion that the white guy received</b>

In some businesses, I see white people getting a lot against people who have the required credentials...if two people present the exact same resume and the only difference is their skin tone...what gives? It isn't always because we don't have the Master's degree ...etc.

I know too many who have what it takes...but the-powers-that-be have outsmarted the system.

This particular institution does not allow paper resumes to be submitted anymore. This is to eliminate some not getting the attention they deserve. So HR collects the resumes for as long as the job is left open. HR presents all resumes collected to the hiring manager...well he just shuffles through them and finds his neighbor or golfing buddy's resume...and he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that his buddy will be a perfect match because he wrote the job description to match his buddy... It isn't likely that anyone would have the exact credential's as his buddy.... So in the end... it has been because some candidates simply wasn't in on the "game"....

YOU can look at it any way you want....bottom line, we don't really know, now do we?

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag

This particular institution does not allow paper resumes to be submitted anymore. This is to eliminate some not getting the attention they deserve. So HR collects the resumes for as long as the job is left open. HR presents all resumes collected to the hiring manager...well he just shuffles through them and finds his neighbor or golfing buddy's resume...and he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that his buddy will be a perfect match because he wrote the job description to match his buddy... It isn't likely that anyone would have the exact credential's as his buddy.... So in the end... it has been because some candidates simply wasn't in on the "game"....

You know they tell their buddies to apply for the job and wait. I had to do the same thing to get around a loophole for my job.

Originally posted by jag4life

You know they tell their buddies to apply for the job and wait. I had to do the same thing to get around a loophole for my job.

I know. In fact, I know of someone who put a job out there....and told this person to tell her friend to apply before Friday because it will be closed... Well it was Thursday when he said it. He didn't want a lot of applications.

I will be against AA when corp. America treats us the same. Don't be fooled into thinking many of us are in White collar positions because of our schooling. Most of black people have not benefited from AA anyway it is white women and their husbands who benefit the most. The truth will set you free.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A Little Story

When I was hired I went up against people from Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Michigan State, USC, FAMU, LSU, Howard, and Jackson State.

When they started to announce the names of their schools me and the young lady from Jackson State were a bit intimidated. Yet I stood unlike them and said the name of my school, Grambling State University with pride. We were interviewed by 6 people in one day.

Myself and the young lady from Jackson State came out on top. We were compared on curriculums. GSU and JSU classes were in the DoD's opinion, properly effective to serve in a position of the position of National Security Analyst with the ability to become a Special Investigator.

I'm saying this to say, I will never accept a position that hired me because of race. I have worked to DAYUM hard to EARN a position off of my abilities that to be degraded to be hired because I am a black man. I was asked that during my probatonary period and I stated, "I never want to be hired because of race. Affirmative action is needed in some organizations, but if I was president of a company, I would hire the best person for the job. Even if they meant having caucasion Americans employeed."

Affirmative Action has aided the crutch syndrome. Meaning young black people fresh out of college don't feel they need to pay their dues simply because they have affirnative action on their side.

But what if, with your skills, you DON'T get hired and a white person with HALF your credentials does get hired? That's what AA is meant to prevent.

My point is, how do you KNOW for a fact beyond a shadow of doubt that AA did NOT play a factor, whether it be large or small, in you getting that job?

You do not know that. What, did you ask them, "Am I getting hired on basis of AA?" Even still, do you really think they answered you honestly.

WTF

The DoD has an over all quoto....be we hired the best person for the job. How do I know? I was on the hiring/recruitment team the following year.

Originally posted by CEE DOG
DNS please tell me you don't think that the DoD does not have a quota to meet?

I don't expect that question to be answered. Heck if I was a CEO I would not answer that question.....it would bring morale down in the organization.

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
My point is, how do you KNOW for a fact beyond a shadow of doubt that AA did NOT play a factor, whether it be large or small, in you getting that job?

You do not know that. What, did you ask them, "Am I getting hired on basis of AA?" Even still, do you really think they answered you honestly.

WTF

DNS have you ever seen a proposal done by the DoD? Don't be fooled I have worked on many of them.

I don't expect that question to be answered. Heck if I was a CEO I would not answer that question.....it would bring morale down in the organization.

Exactly my point, you don't know.

Will you ever know if someone had half the skills you had? It's personal with me. If I'm not hired, I better myself instead of subscribing to the attitude, "I didn't get the job because I was Black." How about, let me work harder on myself.

DSN,
That post had nothing to do with what I said...

All businessess target minorities.....yet I personally do not subscribe to the attitude that majority of the hiring is done off of race. We as a race needs to capitalize off of our skills instead of presenting our race first. If that's the case....I should change my resume.....

Mark A. Hunter-African American

I don't want anyone to know what color I am until I hit the door for the interview.

Originally posted by CEE DOG
DNS have you ever seen a proposal done by the DoD? Don't be fooled I have worked on many of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back