Underdogs step up at A&M

Blacknbengal

Underdogs step up at A&M

Sunday, March 19, 2006
By SKIP VAUGHN
For The Times skipv@htimes.com

Bulldogs reserves tie first-teamersin spring game

The players in white jerseys had extra incentive in Alabama A&M's annual Maroon and White football game Saturday at Louis Crews Stadium.

They were the underdogs facing a Maroon team which had both the No. 1 defense and offense. The White team had A&M's second- and third-string players.

Their motivation showed.

Quarterback Stanley Allen threw for 153 yards and a touchdown and was named the most valuable player as the White team battled to a 10-10 tie. He completed 5-of-16 passes including a 48-yard TD to wide receiver Darius Griffin.

"I think I played pretty well," Allen said. "I still made a couple of bad plays. Sometimes I made the wrong audible call."

His touchdown pass gave the White a 10-7 lead with 1:48 left in the game. Rashan Cylar, kicking for both teams, made a 31-yard field goal for the Maroon as time expired. He kicked a 23-yarder for the White at the end of the first half.

Maroon running back Burnel Flowers scored on a 5-yard run at 10:58 in the fourth quarter, capping a two-play, 11-yard drive.

Defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns, acting head coach in the absence of Anthony Jones, was pleased with both teams' defense but not with the Maroon receivers who dropped several passes. Jones was out of town on a family emergency.

"If we don't drop the passes today, we probably would've scored 28 points," Towns said.
Read Story

MightyDog said:
We are in trouble if GR read this thread.

You are sure in trouble! Your scrubs actually tied with your 1st team offense and defense. 10 to 10, huh? It's going to be a long year for you all.

Blacknbengal said:
Bulldogs reserves tie first-teamersin spring game

They were the underdogs facing a Maroon team which had both the No. 1 defense and offense. The White team had A&M's second- and third-string players.
Quarterback Stanley Allen threw for 153 yards and a touchdown and was named the most valuable player as the White team battled to a 10-10 tie. He completed 5-of-16 passes including a 48-yard TD to wide receiver Darius Griffin.

Blacknbengal said:
You are sure in trouble! Your scrubs actually tied with your 1st team offense and defense. 10 to 10, huh? It's going to be a long year for you all.

MOST of our 1st team players didnt even dress out..... the game was played with about 15 starters who already have their posistion sitting out.... Only reason Kelcey Luke played was because we had to have 2 qbs. No Nic Luke, no Kevin Francis, no starting Lineman, etc...

and also didnt our scrubs score about 4 touchdowns on JSU last year LOL....

DAHILL said:
MOST of our 1st team players didnt even dress out..... the game was played with about 15 starters who already have their posistion sitting out.... Only reason Kelcey Luke played was because we had to have 2 qbs. No Nic Luke, no Kevin Francis, no starting Lineman, etc...

I hope this doesn't end up like your basketball predictions..........:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

I didn't see the game, but the OC did not coach the game. I believe if our OC was at the game the outcome would have been different. The only team he could not beat last year was xamblinx.

DAHILL said:

DaHill, not to say that you don't know what you are talking about but was this printed anywhere that the starters were not participating in spring drills.

If this is true, this is dumb. Why do I say that? Ya'll ain't that good. Look at what Grambling (the only decent team in the SWAC) did to ya'll twice last year. This year, there SHOULD be some better teams. You all benefitted from being one of the few to return an experienced squad last year. I sure hope that you are wrong about these guys sitting out....then again, no I don't...LOL

Tigerpride said:
DaHill, not to say that you don't know what you are talking about but was this printed anywhere that the starters were not participating in spring drills.

If this is true, this is dumb. Why do I say that? Ya'll ain't that good. Look at what Grambling (the only decent team in the SWAC) did to ya'll twice last year. This year, there SHOULD be some better teams. You all benefitted from being one of the few to return an experienced squad last year. I sure hope that you are wrong about these guys sitting out....then again, no I don't...LOL

TP we had 14 players not suited up for spring practice...... whether you believe it or not is on you.

Tigerpride said:

http://aamusports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022206aaa.html

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/114267709614970.xml&coll=1

DAHILL said:

I just read the articles posted above and one of them clearly states that only 6 starters were held out but a total of 14 players. 14 players out is significant but that is clearly not MOST of your first team or anywhere close to it.

This is good for AAMU. Again, they are not that good to have 15 starters sit out just becasue. If they are injured, sitting them out makes sense. I thought Jones was sitting them out thinking that he needed to look at the young players rather than trying to improve what he has. One year, the coach at A&T did not practice his starters AT ALL during the spring. I thought Jones was foolishly doing the same thing.

MightyDog said:
I didn't see the game, but the OC did not coach the game. I believe if our OC was at the game the outcome would have been different. The only team he could not beat last year was xamblinx.

Doesn't your OC suck??

10 to 10, with your starting QB in. Impressive.:winkgrin:

Sounds so AAMU ish. You ain't gonna win many games in the SWAC scoring 10 points.

Lewis said:
10 to 10, with your starting QB in. Impressive.:winkgrin:

Sounds so AAMU ish. You ain't gonna win many games in the SWAC scoring 10 points.

Won't win many scoring 7 either....or did you forget?

p.s. Why you still got that "G" as your avatar?

Back