Two cupcakes good for SU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafus (Thinker)

Two cupcakes good for SU

By JOE SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/063003/spo_joe001.shtml

A few weeks ago, a reader sent me an e-mail complaining Southern's 2003 football schedule meant the program had hit "rock bottom."
His concern centered on the addition of Allen University, a fledgling NAIA program, and Lincoln University, a Division II team, for back-to-back weeks in November.

Though I'm not crazy about an NAIA team on the schedule, I disagree.

First of all, "rock bottom" was in the pre-Pete Richardson era. Second, the schedule gives Southern its best chance to be competitive for the entire season.

The Jaguars have paid a steep price for horrendous, overzealous scheduling the last three seasons. Way too stout. Way too front-loaded. Way too many road games.

The schedule left them scrambling to get both healthy and better in the second half. The result? Though good enough to beat three-time conference champ Grambling in two of the last three Bayou Classics, the Jaguars still didn't make the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game.

Southern, to the reader, is supposed to be a kingpin, one of the big boys.

Well, the big boys don't overload their schedules. The haves, you see, need the have-nots. And the haves know you have to be smart in scheduling.

Take the Southeastern Conference, for example. A school like LSU has four nonconference foes. Of those, Western Illinois is a I-AA opponent. Of the I-A teams, Arizona is top-notch, Louisiana Tech has its good years but isn't in the same echelon as the SEC and UL-Monroe is, like always since making the jump to I-A, out of its class. So, on the cupcake factor, figure LSU for a solid two cupcakes. That's pretty much the formula.

Now, consider that SEC schools have 85 scholarships. Division I-AA schools like Southern have a maximum of 63.

Next, consider the schedule is 12 games long, with the possibility of a 13th if the Jaguars get to the SWAC title game. Plus, Southern plays nine conference games.

Of its four nonconference foes last season, Southern won only one, against Miles of the NAIA. Though competitive against Division I-A Tulane and two top-25 I-AA schools (Northwestern State and Nicholls State), Southern lost to all three and incurred injuries that hampered the team's development.

But the worst scheduling came with moving the Jackson State game to the Superdome. That took away an open date in September -- which would have been a key breather -- and put Southern in a seven-week torture test. Bad scheduling.

So, for this season, with two foes from lower divisions and one from a solid I-AA conference in North Carolina A&T, figure Southern for two solid cupcakes.

That's the right formula.

Southern also got six home games, a trip to Las Vegas and, smartly, a week off after that Vegas trip.

Far from "rock bottom," this is a schedule that gives Southern a chance to get back on the top of the rock.

I have said for quite sometime that when one plays a rigid non conference schedule, it can definitely have an adverse impact on conference results. I believe a healthy S.U. team could have won conference titles in 2000 & 2002. Smart scheduling is essential. I also hated with passion several years ago playing Jackson, Alcorn and Nichols back to back. I really believe Nichols State was on several occassions the beneficiary of a beat up and injury riddled S.U. teams. This is just one example of not so smart scheduling. Having said the aforementioned, I am not a proponent of playing D-2 schools and lower. There are plenty of cupcaks in 1-AA. Another thing I dislike with passion is the 9 conference game mandate. Ones creativity with out of conference games are limited. Further, it stunts some programs growth. To digress a tad, I truly understand why FAMU's administration feels like it has outgrown the MEAC. Several HBCU's and 1-AA programs can compete against mid major programs. The difference is depth. With the correct monetary investment in athletics, 20 additional scholarships and additional assistant coaches, I think many would be pleasantly suprised.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Jafus,

It's amazing how SCHIEFELBIEN continues to come up with these reverse spins on the ball, while at the same time letting us know that he's not an idiot. I'll give it to him, he's become a pro at covering (no pun intended) SU Football the last three years. I think the fact that CUPCAKES were the only teams Southern could find at such a late date without a home and home had a lot to do with the schedule also. And now that Pete has some say so in scheduling, he probably looking out for his own self interest as well. Other than the Bayou Classic, a lot of folks in Blue and Gold weren't to happy with him at the end of last season.

Scheduling down is one thing. But there's no excuse for putting Allen University on your schedule.

This article has to be the biggest bunch of crap I have ever seen. I know if you are an Advocate Writer you have to suck up...but this takes sucking up to another level. Hoover...Oreck send help.

Its amazing how the words Miles and Morris Brown dont show up in the article. After I read this, I went back to look for those key words and they arent there. Somehow he must have forgotten those cupcake games. And since when did playing NW and Nicholls back to back become something honorable? Hell they are IAA teams just like SU. Just because your boys werent as hard as theirs, that doesnt give you an excuse. Hell work harder, get your boys in the weight room, get them in shape, make them work for starting positions, and maybe just maybe you kids wont get hurt so easily.

Where is Josh Moon when you need him? This kind of homer writing is the kind of thing that leads SU folks to thinking they actually have a good team. I remember this clown last year saying like, "Tulane is the best team SU will face, they shouldnt have a problem on defense going forward." They went on to get blasted by NW, then by Nichols, and then by JSU.

I havent heard this many excuses since the last time I visited jail. I think old Joe left out the "black men dont have fathers at home, and we dont have planes to bring drugs over" excuses.

You SU folks should really be tired of this kind of pandering. Wouldnt you rather hear the truth? Listening to this guy lie to you and make excuses about your poor schedule is not going to make your season or your team any better. This is sad.

And JRock...........
You should have won the SWAC in 2000 and 2002?
Sheeeeesh

Originally posted by Get Ready
This article has to be the biggest bunch of crap I have ever seen. I know if you are an Advocate Writer you have to suck up...but this takes sucking up to another level. Hoover...Oreck send help.

Its amazing how the words Miles and Morris Brown dont show up in the article. After I read this, I went back to look for those key words and they arent there. Somehow he must have forgotten those cupcake games. And since when did playing NW and Nicholls back to back become something honorable? Hell they are IAA teams just like SU. Just because your boys werent as hard as theirs, that doesnt give you an excuse. Hell work harder, get your boys in the weight room, get them in shape, make them work for starting positions, and maybe just maybe you kids wont get hurt so easily.

Where is Josh Moon when you need him? This kind of homer writing is the kind of thing that leads SU folks to thinking they actually have a good team. I remember this clown last year saying like, "Tulane is the best team SU will face, they shouldnt have a problem on defense going forward." They went on to get blasted by NW, then by Nichols, and then by JSU.

I havent heard this many excuses since the last time I visited jail. I think old Joe left out the "black men dont have fathers at home, and we dont have planes to bring drugs over" excuses.

You SU folks should really be tired of this kind of pandering. Wouldnt you rather hear the truth? Listening to this guy lie to you and make excuses about your poor schedule is not going to make your season or your team any better. This is sad.

And JRock...........
You should have won the SWAC in 2000 and 2002?
Sheeeeesh

First off, your want to go after the article has prove to be your downfall again GR. Miles wasn't mentioned? Maybe you overlooked this: Of its four nonconference foes last season, Southern won only one, against Miles of the NAIA. Though competitive against Division I-A Tulane and two top-25 I-AA schools (Northwestern State and Nicholls State), Southern lost to all three and incurred injuries that hampered the team's development.

Secondly, he never said anything about playing NW and Nicholls back to back. He said a top 1-AA program. Nicholls I don't agree with, but NW State, c'mon! They stayed in the Top 25 for years in the 90's and into 2001 I think. Plus, who is finally getting the chineys to play NW State .... (psst, look at your degree.)

And third, why could SU have won the SWAC in 2000 and 2002? It it possible because we didn't lose to a SWAC West opponent other than APB in those two years and the only other losses were JSU (3x), Ala. St. (once), AAMU (once). Your telling me with beating Grambling both of those years, SU could NOT have beaten Alabama St. and AAMU in those SCG's? The early schedule, among other things, did leave us injured and finally getting it together in the second half of the season, which you characterize as the "sorry schedule half."

Those guys played Tulane twice, NW State three times, APB twice, Prairie View twice (due to 9-11, it would have been three times) and you three times in the beginning of those seasons without an off date.

Its amazing how the words Miles and Morris Brown dont show up in the article. After I read this, I went back to look for those key words and they arent there. Somehow he must have forgotten those cupcake games.
say GR,
You probably were too busy trying to tie LC and ASU to this article, that you didn't see the part about Miles.
:lmao:

and to think, you "went back to look" too

:smh:

Originally posted by SU Jag 79

And third, why could SU have won the SWAC in 2000 and 2002? It it possible because we didn't lose to a SWAC West opponent other than APB in those two years and the only other losses were JSU (3x), Ala. St. (once), AAMU (once). Your telling me with beating Grambling both of those years, SU could NOT have beaten Alabama St. and AAMU in those SCG's? The early schedule, among other things, did leave us injured and finally getting it together in the second half of the season, which you characterize as the "sorry schedule half."

. [/B]

Oops my bad. The fact still remains that you guys have scheduled cupcakes just in the past two years and your schedule hasnt been that rough.

And what did I tell you about saying that SU got it together in the second half of the season. YOU DIDNT...You just played the weakest part of your schedule. If you play Grambling, PV, TxSU, and Homecoming (Miles MoB), at the beginning of the season, and then play JSU, NW, Nichols, and whomever else you are running from this year, you would start out 4-1 and then finish the season 1-4.

Let seeeeeee.....
Since you beat Grambling, you should have beaten Alabama State and JSU, who beat TxSU, that almost lost to PV which means you coulda should won. Man please. YOU DIDNT WIN. And you didnt win cause your team wasnt that good over the past 3 years. You couldnt even beat A&M last year.

Look, my thing is this. If I were you, I would demand better from my coach, AD, and beat writer. But it seems you like the fact that this guy pisses on your head and tell you its raining. I guess thats just how you was raised.

Oops my bad. The fact still remains that you guys have scheduled cupcakes just in the past two years and your schedule hasnt been that rough.

Hey my friend, what's up. The last two year have taken it toll on our team. Especially in the begining of the season. Last year we played Toolame, NWST, Nicholls and JennySue. All early on. What you are forgetting is we might have shcedule some games poorly but we got paid. We split the pot with Toolame. You got raped by SouthernPiss and they didn't kiss you afterward. What is your wordsmalltime . We can lose all of our non-conference games and still run through the conference. What would your excuse be then? Jackson7 Gram was cupcakes teams?
Southern is the last team of recent to do that, three years striaght. Give Bell my regards.:)

Originally posted by BgJag
Hey my friend, what's up. The last two year have taken it toll on our team. Especially in the begining of the season. Last year we played Toolame, NWST, Nicholls and JennySue. All early on. What you are forgetting is we might have shcedule some games poorly but we got paid. We split the pot with Toolame. You got raped by SouthernPiss and they didn't kiss you afterward. What is your wordsmalltime . We can lose all of our non-conference games and still run through the conference. What would your excuse be then? Jackson7 Gram was cupcakes teams?
Southern is the last team of recent to do that, three years striaght. Give Bell my regards.:)

You folks need to get out of fantasy land.
You get hurt early in the season cause your players are obvioulsy not in shape and not ready to play. I tried to tell you last year about naming someone a starter that hasnt even put on a helmet yet, but you didnt want to hear me. Who ended up starting for your team? A young man that had been there all along....he even made all SWAC. Victor Ike turned out to be a disaster just like I told you he would. Now you can either start listening to me or ignore me like the part of your conscious that reminds of the difference between right and wrong.

Im trying to help you guys out. What you do means nothing to me....simply because (a little true smack) you are not on our level. And we have proven that.

I just hate to see you guys suck up top this kinda soft article that makes you feel good about nothing. Again, if it were me, I would be angry about someone trying to pass Allen and Lincoln as acceptable competition. Have some pride....PLEASE

Im trying to help you guys out. What you do means nothing to me....simply because (a little true smack) you are not on our level. And we have proven that.

You really can be this delusional and have always had a problem distinquishing between different forums. The fact of the matter is you won 1 out of 17 championships in the SWAC and your SUperior won 10 out of 17.

The last time you played S.U. with championship implications in football your team got beat twice in the same year.

The last time you played S.U. with NCAA Basketball Tourney implications you were soundly beaten and sent to the NIT

S.U. beat you 8 out of the last 10 years in route to a championship in Baseball

S.U. has beat you 8 out of the last 10 years in Track & Field

Read and weep :bawling: ...........Your school is TRULY not on S.U. level.............CHECKMATE!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
large buttered popcorn and coke please,,,

Well, we'll see what the schedule change produces this year.

Originally posted by JROCK

You really can be this delusional and have always had a problem distinquishing between different forums. The fact of the matter is you won 1 out of 17 championships in the SWAC and your SUperior won 10 out of 17.

The last time you played S.U. with championship implications in football your team got beat twice in the same year.

The last time you played S.U. with NCAA Basketball Tourney implications you were soundly beaten and sent to the NIT

Read and weep :bawling: ...........Your school is TRULY not on S.U. level.............CHECKMATE!

Bingo :cool:

Wow...this is sad.
I will not comment on your divertionary tactics...
The fact is you have a piss poor schedule is something to be ashamed of and your beat writer is a poor excuse for a journalist for writing this crap. Your own people are ashamed of this schedule. It must have been a slow news day.

Wow...this is sad.
I will not comment on your divertionary tactics...
The fact is you have a piss poor schedule that is something to be ashamed of and your beat writer is a poor excuse for a journalist for writing this crap. Your own people are ashamed of this schedule. It must have been a slow news day.

What are u crying about? We have always carried a harder schedule than JSU (and the rest of the SWAC) and the one time we go lite ya'll got something to say. Get ya'll excuses ready for that whoopin ya'll will receive in Jackson.

JROCK, as usual you come on here posting and don't know what you talking about.

Who did JSU beat in the 2000 SWAC basketball tourney final to make it to the NCAA tourney??? Just axing.

Originally posted by Robber
JROCK, as usual you come on here posting and don't know what you talking about.

Who did JSU beat in the 2000 SWAC basketball tourney final to make it to the NCAA tourney??? Just axing.

Typical Buffalo response. Your lame school did not have a chance of winning a tourney game in 2000. Now when Lindsey Hunter was there, If it wasnt for DADDY and your school's SUperior, just maybe you all would have dummy downed on GT. The fact of the matter is your athletic dept is much like urban blight and condemned buildings. It should be bulldozed down and built from the ground up. Your entire current construction crew needs to be given a pink slip. And you too Wilona..........err I mean Rent Ready:) .

Nice diversion Jrock

The fact is your schedule sucks. I could give you Lincoln, but playing Allen is about as low as you can go without playing a Jr High school. I would be ashamed if it were my school. Thats all Im saying.

More SUck's :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: .

Their scheduel SUck's . Desiel knows it and admitted it ... I can respect that. The person that inspired the article, (the one that wrote in questioning tha scheduel), knows it. I'm sure a lot of others know it ...................................................
Except for tha spin masters of Southerneese on this board.

ALLEN + LINCOLN = JOKE.

NO MATTER WHAT. :shame: :shame:

Originally posted by PsychoJag
What are u crying about? We have always carried a harder schedule than JSU (and the rest of the SWAC) and the one time we go lite ya'll got something to say. Get ya'll excuses ready for that whoopin ya'll will receive in Jackson.

The 1 time they go lite ................................

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
Get ready for that whoopin ..................................:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by jstate83
The 1 time they go lite ................................

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
Get ready for that whoopin ..................................:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yeah ya'll 1-9 high school coach has the SWAC shivering in fear.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back