TV Network Directors Directing Bands

pbla

Focus
Whenever I watch a game where a Black band is on at half time, the network directors make a serious mistake of not muting the camera mikes on the field. When this happen, the TV audience would hear only one or two members of the band play. This horrible mistake would make any band sound awful as hell. The balance is destroyed. The cameras on the field should be muted, with the main camera or mikes placed high above the band should be on . With this technique you would get the true sound or better sound of a band. All major networks make this mistake, even when they are showing the big PWC bands. They really don't give shat about half time.

Originally posted by pbla
Whenever I watch a game where a Black band is on at half time, the network directors make a serious mistake of not muting the camera mikes on the field. When this happen, the TV audience would hear only one or two members of the band play. This horrible mistake would make any band sound awful as hell. The balance is destroyed. The cameras on the field should be muted, with the main camera or mikes placed high above the band should be on . With this technique you would get the true sound or better sound of a band. All major networks make this mistake, even when they are showing the big PWC bands. They really don't give shat about half time.

You just realizing that?

My theory on the Bayou Classic...

NBC scouts SU and finds the trombone player of the year. They then proceed to follow they guy with the mic right in his bell.

For the most part all you can hear is wah wah wank wank wank throughout the whole show.

Re: Re: TV Network Directors Directing Bands

Originally posted by S.U. T-BONE 99
You just realizing that?

No my little young bruh, I've notice that before you knew what a trombone was :cool:.

But anyway it's an old technique and it's nothing new. I don't know if PBS still airs the Drum & Bugle Corps competition, but they only use a mike or mikes that are high above the fields to get the TRUE sound of a band whether they sound out of tune or not. What ever weakness a band has you hear it.

Re: Re: Re: TV Network Directors Directing Bands

No my little young bruh, I've notice that before you knew what a trombone was :cool:.

But anyway it's an old technique and it's nothing new. I don't know if PBS still airs the Drum & Bugle Corps competition, but they only use a mike or mikes that are high above the fields to get the TRUE sound of a band whether they sound out of tune or not. What ever weakness a band has you hear it.

It seemed to me that in the mid-90's NBC actually did that. After 96, they were all up in folks' bells.

:tup: good topic. Some people would lead you to believe otherwise. But it is clearly something that needs to be addressed with/to the networks.

Back