Tougaloo alumni seek removal of college’s president

bernard

THEE Realist

Last edited:
Hmmm, but how much of the decline is due to what's happening in Jxn versus her being incompetent? All Jackson area colleges are struggling with enrollment and retaining faculty

Tougaloo College President Carmen J. Walters said a recent attempt by an alumni group to remove her as the university's president does not reflect the views of the greater body of Tougaloo graduates, and she called their allegations false.

As of Monday morning, 1,445 people had signed a petition towards a goal of 1,500 signatures advocating for a leadership change at the private 153-year-old historically black college in Jackson.

The Tougaloo College Alumni Coalition for Change has posted an online petition requesting the removal of the school’s current President Carmen J. Walters due to “repeated failures by the administration” concerning low enrollment, uninhabitable living conditions, and questionable fiscal practices.

Walters said the alumni coalition is not reflective of the official Tougaloo Alumni Association.

"This is a group of alums outside of the Alumni Association of Tougaloo College that is calling themselves a coalition," Walters said. "That group is seeking my removal, but the Tougaloo Committee Board and the Alumni of Tougaloo College directly are not seeking my removal."

Tougaloo president refutes claims of alumni group that seeks her ouster

Last edited:
The president of Tougaloo College, a private historically Black institution in north Jackson, is leaving at the end of this month amid growing unhappiness with her leadership, notching another name in the growing list of college presidents in Mississippi who have resigned or been fired in the last year.

In an email, Carmen Walters mainly touted her accomplishments since she took the reins as Tougaloo’s 14th president in July 2019, including doubling the college’s endowment. Before she was president of Tougaloo, Walters held multiple administrative positions at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

Walters said she wasn't going to resign, I guess she didn't want the negative publicity.

Back