Tinsley rises to best at his craft (JSU)

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
April 14, 2006

Tinsley rises to best at his craft

Two things are sure to prompt Michael Tinsley to show off his blazing speed.

A starter's gun and cats.

A junior at Jackson State, Tinsley has posted the fastest collegiate 400-meter hurdles time in the nation this spring.

But what's up with this Tiger and cats?

"He has told me that he was scared of them, but I thought he was just joking," said Joel Williams, another JSU runner. "One day we were walking to practice and we heard a cat, but we didn't see it. When he finally saw it, it was coming toward us. As soon as he saw it, he just took off running and left me."

Tinsley has that move down: Take off running; leave someone behind.

Make that everyone.

Last Saturday, Tinsley - an All-American in outdoor and indoor track - won the 400 hurdles at the Texas Relays in Austin. His time of 48.70 seconds is currently the best among collegians, 1.42 seconds ahead of UCLA's Brandon Johnson.

"As a coach you always hope and dream that your athletes develop to become All-Americans," said JSU coach Edmond Donald. "I knew he was talented enough, but early on he didn't show that. But the kid is just an amazing talent."

In addition to the top ranking in the 400 hurdles, Tinsley ranks third nationally in the 200 meters and eighth in the 400 meters.

He has qualified for the NCAA Mid-East Regionals, which are set for May 26-27 in Knoxville. A top-five finish there would send him to the NCAA Championships June 7-10 in Sacramento, Calif.

"I knew as I progressed in my career, I would get better, but I didn't know it would come so fast," said Tinsley.

Tinsley isn't just making a name for himself. He's helping make a name for his school.

Jackson State cracked the trackwire.com Top 25 national rankings for the first time Monday, tied at No. 22 with UCLA and George Mason.

continued.... http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060414/SPORTS030101/604140342/1073

<br>
<br>

Represent JSU and the SWAC well. If he keeps this up, maybe he will win 400 Meter Hurdles Title in the NCAA'S this year. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Back