Tigers must fly blind against Bison defense

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
September 1, 2001

Tigers must fly blind against Bison defense

By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

CHICAGO ? Ole Miss' Don Lindsey isn't the only defensive coordinator hoping to spring a surprise on an opposing offense today.

New Howard defensive coordinator James Garland hopes to do the same to Jackson State.

"Got to," Garland said.

So what does Garland have up his sleeve? Much like Lindsey, he knows, he's just not telling.

"I can't tell you that, now can I?," Garland said with a chuckle.

JSU and Howard play at 5:30 at Soldier Field in the season opener for both teams. The game within the game will be how quickly the Tigers' potent offense adjusts to the new-look "Buffalo Soldier" D, whatever it may be. Calling the shots for JSU: first-year offensive coordinator Darrell Asberry.

"It's going to be a chess game," Asberry said.

Howard was so bad on defense last season ? the Bison allowed 33 points per game, including a whopping 137 in its final three games ? that coach Steve Wilson let go his entire defensive staff and hired Garland away from Hampton.

The change has made it harder for JSU to prepare.

"It makes it hard when you're going against a new defensive or offensive coordinator," JSU coach Robert Hughes said. "We're just going to have to adjust to their defense and take whatever they give us. Once we do that, I feel like we'll be OK."

Howard returns all 11 starters from last year's defense, but all 11 won't be starting tonight.

"We had to make some changes," Garland said.

Those changes didn't include linebacker Tracy White, last year's defensive player of the year in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, and All-MEAC defensive lineman Damian Walker.

"Those are the two guys we've got to watch out for," Hughes said.

JSU has plenty of offensive weapons that Howard has to watch out for, including sophomore quarterback Robert Kent and his galaxy of receivers.

"I haven't got much sleep, I'll tell you that," Garland said. "They've got a group of big-play players on that offense. That's one thing we've got to make of: not giving up the big play. If Kent gets going on you, things can get out of hand in a hurry."

One thing working in JSU's favor is that it employs a no-huddle offense. That should keep Garland from being able to run people in and out of the game, and it also allows Kent and Asberry a chance to look at the defense and check off into the right play regardless of what defense Howard is in.

"We can adjust as we go," Asberry said. "That's the good thing about our offense. They can only disguise so much."

Back