This Situation Here Further Highlights TO's & Walker's Cause

majiksity

King/Queen Maker
www://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=212184

LATROBE, Pa. -- Hines Ward became the Pittsburgh Steelers' first major holdout in 12 years Sunday, keeping his promise not to report to training camp without a contract extension that would make him one of the NFL's top-paid wide receivers.

Hines Ward
Wide Receiver
Pittsburgh Steelers

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
80 1004 4 12.6 58 398

Once Ward missed the 6 p.m. ET reporting deadline, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said negotiations were over until Ward shows up -- something the four-time Pro Bowl receiver has insisted that he won't do without a new deal.

Ward, with one year remaining on a contract worth $1.66 million this season, apparently has two choices: End his holdout and continue talks, as Steelers Pro Bowl running back Barry Foster did in 1993, or sit out the season, as three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Mike Merriweather did in 1988.

Several teammates made impassioned pleas for the team to re-sign Ward, with linebacker Joey Porter saying the Steelers "can't win without him." And Colbert himself seemed uncomfortable talking about a missing player he often has cited for his unselfishness and team-first attitude.

"We understand Hines Ward is a special player and always has been ... but, sometimes, there's going to be a disagreement," Colbert said. "The policy has always been that, if a player is under contact, he has to be in camp for any negotiations to go forward. Without the player here, there won't be any exchange."

Ward's absence threatens to create a major distraction for a team that went 15-1 and reached the AFC championship game last season, and leaves quarterback Ben Roethlisberger without either starting wide receiver from his breakthrough rookie season.

Plaxico Burress signed with the Giants because the Steelers couldn't afford to keep both him and Ward. They preferred to keep Ward, whose production and toughness -- he is widely considered the NFL's top-blocking receiver -- have personified the Steelers' offense for years. He is within 33 catches of breaking Hall of Famer John Stallworth's team career record of 537 receptions.

Ward's salary last season was only a fraction of that of top receivers such as the Colts' Marvin Harrison, the Raiders' Randy Moss and the Eagles' Terrell Owens, counting bonuses and the prorated share of signing bonuses. The current impasse is mostly the result of Ward wanting much of his money in an eight-figure signing bonus, but the Steelers preferring to pay him in salary -- something he wouldn't earn if the team ever cut him for salary-cap reasons.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This has nothing to do with TO. TO got the contract he wanted as one of the top paid recievers and then proceded to be an arsehole for most of the season. Hines Ward is a totally different case.

Lewis said:
This has nothing to do with TO. TO got the contract he wanted as one of the top paid recievers and then proceded to be an arsehole for most of the season. Hines Ward is a totally different case.

You took the words out of my mouth. TO is upset because other WR's got better deals after he signed his and wanted to renegotiate. he is not starving in any way.

Javon Walker has a case because he is a pro bowl WR, but only makes slightly over 500,000. But even in his case that is what happens when you are a later round pick. Even if you blossom quickly.

Hines Ward is getting old and knows that he only has one big time deal left in his career. I don't see the holdup in giving him a long term deal. They lost Plax, and the contract is going to be soo backloaded they probably will never have to pay him all the money anyway.

Suge said:
You took the words out of my mouth. TO is upset because other WR's got better deals after he signed his and wanted to renegotiate. he is not starving in any way.

Javon Walker has a case because he is a pro bowl WR, but only makes slightly over 500,000. But even in his case that is what happens when you are a later round pick. Even if you blossom quickly.

Hines Ward is getting old and knows that he only has one big time deal left in his career. I don't see the holdup in giving him a long term deal. They lost Plax, and the contract is going to be soo backloaded they probably will never have to pay him all the money anyway.

It's still none of your business.

The reason is has something to do with TO, Javon Walker, and pretty much most of the NFL players is because Owners can cancel contracts at any point and although the player has lived up to his end of the contract - the owners can still end it - with no compensation.

If any of you saw Quite Frankly with Hines Ward on it the show, Hines said the Rooneys promised him last year to take care of him, then they wanted him to wait until after last season, then wait until May -after the draft. He said he didnt hear from the Steelers organization until the Saturday before he was supposed to report to camp. Not a good faith negotiation in my eyes.

TO doesnt want NEW MONEY - he wants his contract uploaded. He will make just over 2 million this season - on a $49 Million Dollar 7 year contract. I am sure that after his injury - it made him come to the conclusion that if he couldnt come back this year off of his injury - he could be a salary cap casualty next year - thus let me restructure my contract to bring my money from the end of the contract to the front of the contract.

If owners and teams can come to you - and hold the leverage of asking (telling) a player to restructure his contract so the "team" can have more money under the cap (then the player never sees the money he lost in that restructuring because he will probably get cut the next year) - why shouldnt the player have the same option to want his contract uploaded?

Until the Players Association address this issue in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, this will continue to happen. Next CBA - look for a hard push for guaranteed contracts by the players . The NFL is the most physical sport - with the shortest life span for active participation as a player - that does not have guaranteed contracts - and if Gene Upshaw and crew cave in to the league, he will be out as union head.

Back