There is Absolutely Nothing Wrong with a Coach Who Only Wants to Coach at HBCUs

The Founder

I had this conversation last night with a friend who is a coordinator in the SWAC. since meeting him he has expressed that not only does he want retire as a SWAc Coach but this is where he was called to coach. Many would say he is limiting his jobs but he really loves coaching in the African American community. He stated that h loves going in to a parents household and recruiting a kid and can tell the kid what a certain HBCU did for the Civil Rights Era or how there are people who fought against Jim Crow. I think we get so wrapped up in the commercialized part of HBCUs when it comes to sports that we miss these other factors.

Why is it that some look down on coaches who like being at a HBCU?

By the way this coordinator does not coach at GSU. This makes the conversations that more interesting.

People gotta stop measuring others potential by crazy metrics. Some people are content at where they’re at.

I’m all for advancing but I’ll never get upset at a guy or gal who is content at where they are at. Some of these coaches enjoy where they coach at.

People gotta stop measuring others potential by crazy metrics. Some people are content at where they’re at.

I’m all for advancing but I’ll never get upset at a guy or gal who is content at where they are at. Some of these coaches enjoy where they coach at.

Neither will I. That was the basis of our conversation. I asked was he going to apply for the JSU job. Then our convo went in to an entirely different arena. I think black people have taken HBCUs for granted. I was reading on facebook where people were describing HBCUs as being in name towns...and I told them that was the basis.

Neither will I. That was the basis of our conversation. I asked was he going to apply for the JSU job. Then our convo went in to an entirely different arena. I think black people have taken HBCUs for granted. I was reading on facebook where people were describing HBCUs as being in name towns...and I told them that was the basis.
It’s the 💰chasing society we are in now. It’s about the 💰 and flexing on social media 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

It’s okay to be content with what you have and where you’re at. If I’m coaching I’d want to coach at my high school or at Grambling. If I’m content at Grambling and my bills paid and I’m not paying for my Hamburger at Tiger house then I’m cool.

That’s just me though. I love going and visiting Grambling. I’ve lived there for 15yrs and I miss it now .

I saw a quote yesterday. Wrote it in my journal.

"To the mediocre, mediocrity appears great."

It's okay with being satisfied with where you are, but don't suggest that should be the attitude of other people.

Some people want more. Want to stretch the limits of their potential. Some people believe that is God's will.
???????? Well, never mind.

I dont see it as flexing… I see it as setting up your family for generational wealth. You can be content with any job UNTIL you get fired..Ive seen coaches go from a high to a low in 1 calendar year. I would rather get fired with a P5 check than a SWAC check ANYDAY.

I think some of the SWAC/HBCU lifers are that and not by choice. Some might start off with P5 aspirations but after a few years see that it is damn near impossible to go from a HBCU head coaching job to even a G5 job let alone a P5 job so they go along with it. Hell it rarely happens in basketball as well. Assistants sure but HCs no. Hel I got reminded during a basketball broadcast that Valley had two coaches that moved up to mid major jobs (Green and Woods).

Now I do think the Fred McNair types are SWAC/HBCU lifers who are in their happy place and there is nothing wrong with that either. I wish I could live in rural Mississippi and make $200K a year for 10-20 years. If JSU found someone with that mindset (most likely an alum) who loves Mississippi and JSU, that would be perfect right now.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to stay in their lane and remain at HBCUS. I have no problem with anyone wanting to be at the top of their game. What I do have a problem with is that now this Deion stuff went down the way black people are on social media with lies and dogging out HBCUs. It's beyond sickening. The fact of the matter is that outside of professional athletes the wealth or wealthiest black people in America are those from HBCUS or come from HBCU families. Basically what I'm saying if you take away HBCUs from the black community you would have shyt. I mean yes somethings at our schools need to be updated and changed from buildings to faculty, but for the black community to act like HBCUs don't contribute to a great success of f the black community is beyond ignorance.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to stay in their lane and remain at HBCUS. I have no problem with anyone wanting to be at the top of their game. What I do have a problem with is that now this Deion stuff went down the way black people are on social media with lies and dogging out HBCUs. It's beyond sickening. The fact of the matter is that outside of professional athletes the wealth or wealthiest black people in America are those from HBCUS or come from HBCU families. Basically what I'm saying if you take away HBCUs from the black community you would have shyt. I mean yes somethings at our schools need to be updated and changed from buildings to faculty, but for the black community to act like HBCUs don't contribute to a great success of f the black community is beyond ignorance.
I totally agree! It’s like people just throw their brain out the window.

Ya'll really doing too much with these topics lol. It's this simple, if you want to keep em you're gonna have to pay em. That's the game and it's not the 60's anymore.

Ya'll really doing too much with these topics lol. It's this simple, if you want to keep em you're gonna have to pay em. That's the game and it's not the 60's anymore.
you could pay some of these folks and they still not validated until they stay in PWC land cause society says so

You don't think doing less than your best is mediocre?

I think some missed the point. Is wanting to work at an HBCU doing less than your best? I don't think so. This coach was recruited by a PWI and transferred to a HBCU. He was nurtured, prepared, and felt like he was invested in at a HBCU. He said he felt like he was a person so that's his way of paying it forward. So to me,,,,he is doing an awesome job because of his reasoning.

We often complain about coaches who move to other opputunities in HbCU football and state that the moves are lateral....but have we ever thought that some guys just want to coach black players at a black college. They can't say it in that manner but that's what they are saying in so many words.

Bruh there are fools on tictoc saying Deion gave JSU 30 million dollars. Then one dude said his cousin told him JSU president stole all the money Deion gave the school. 😂 I swear man some of our people are beyond ignorant when it comes to the reality of life.
These are what we call Deionsexuals or he may be a Primette lol

I didn't miss the point at all.

I left certain things unsaid because an honest discussion from a different perspective would hurt a lot of feelings.

Not really.

I know high school coaches who have won NUMEROUS high school championships and offered numerous college positions but they just enjoy coaching high school kids. I think people rank upward mobility as something to strive for but as we mature we look for what makes us happy.

I was offered to build 3 spec homes. I turned them down because I don't like doing them. It's not fun. The money is constant but the fun is not there.

I think we are agreeing more than disagreeing....just different vantage points....ya dig.

Back