The origin of the 9 game mandate...

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
04/16/99- Updated 05:32 PM ET

Around the SWAC
Derick Hackett covers the SWAC for USA TODAY Online.

Changes abound in the SWAC
SWAC athletic directors were busy implementing major changes for the conference last weekend at the annual winter meetings in Biloxi, Miss.

By unanimous vote, a championship game concept - with the winner representing the conference in the McDonald's Heritage Bowl - was approved.

However, the vote was contingent on the NCAA permitting such a contest, which would be a first for a I-AA football conference.

"A SWAC championship game in football would have tremendous financial ramifications," said SWAC commissioner Rudy Washington." We're excited about this idea and we think with the interest that already exists in SWAC football, a championship game would be enormous."

The game would be played the second week in December.

The athletic directors also approved a realignment of the conference into two divisions - Eastern and Western - starting next fall, with the addition of Alabama A&M, who will be eligible to compete for conference championships after July 1, 1999. (Alabama A&M is currently serving a one-year probationary status as a affiliate member of the conference, this season).

The Eastern Division will consist of: Alabama A&M University, Alabama State University, Alcorn State University, Jackson State University and Mississippi Valley State University.

The Western Division will include: the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, Grambling State University, Prairie View A&M University, Southern University and Texas Southern.

"I am looking forward to this new concept," said SWAC athletic director committee chairperson Chuck Prophet, who has been associated with the conference for 25 years as an athletic director and sports information director at Mississippi Valley. "The fact that this proposal passed unanimously indicates the tremendous interest that will be generated in the championship game."

Washington also informed the athletic directors of his attempts to possibly relocate the league headquarters, which are currently located at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, La. Proposals have been sent to the cities of New Orleans, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, La., and Houston.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/swac/column15.htm

04/16/99- Updated 05:32 PM ET

Around the SWAC
Derick Hackett covers the SWAC for USA TODAY Online.

SWAC will have championship game in '99
A proposal by the Southwestern Athletic Conference Athletic Directors Committee for a championship football game received approval from SWAC Council of Presidents. The inaugural game will be played in Dec. 1999.

"We're happy that the Council of President share our sentiments that a championship game in football will serve as the premiere sporting event in the SWAC," said first year commissioner Rudy Washington. "We envision this game being more than just a football game. It'll mirror the pageantry of the biggest classics."

The SWAC football championship game will be the first of its kind for an NCAA Division I-AA conference. Several Division I-A conferences hold title games, including the Southeastern Conference, the Big 12 and the Western Athletic Conference.

Membership in the SWAC has grown to 10 after the addition of Alabama A&M University and the league voted last fall go implement divisional competition in every sport except for men's and women's basketball. Consequently, the new football championship game will pit the winner of the SWAC Eastern Division against the winner of the Western Division for the title and the ensuing berth to the McDonald's Heritage Bowl.

The SWAC Eastern Division will consist of Alabama A&M University, Alabama State University, Alcorn State University, Jackson State University and Mississippi Valley State University. The Western Division will be comprised of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, Grambling State University, Prairie View A&M University, Southern University and Texas Southern University.

Washington said the immediate tasks at hand will be to finalize a date for the title game as well as a site.

"Right now, our options are to play the championship game either the first or second weekend in December," noted Washington. "Three cities have expressed interest in possibly hosting the game, those being Birmingham, Houston and New Orleans."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/swac/column18.htm

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
None of those articles say anything about the now "9 game mandate".

They both originated in 1999, we all know that the mandate came about because of certain schools not trying to fill their schedule with OOC schools that could beat them.

Fiyah, the 9-game mandate wasn't mentioned until 2002, but wasn't inforced (using the term loosely) until 2004. Before then, the conference was using the 4+3 format. If I am correct on that.

Mr. SWAC said:
Fiyah, the 9-game mandate wasn't mentioned until 2002, but wasn't inforced (using the term loosely) until 2004. Before then, the conference was using the 4+3 format. If I am correct on that.

I know that I was questioning the title of the thread, it seems to imply how the 9 game mandate came about. Those articles are from 1999 and doesn't have anything to do with the 9 game mandate.

I think he's implying that the 9 game mandate is a product of the SWAC championship game. Makes sense.

Fiyah said:
None of those articles say anything about the now "9 game mandate".

They both originated in 1999, we all know that the mandate came about because of certain schools not trying to fill their schedule with OOC schools that could beat them.

Which schools were they Fiyah? I'm totally unaware of any school in the SWAC that was doing that. Maybe you can shade some light on this topic for us.

So I guess that means you were just making a blanket statement that you can't show any evidence of.

Back