The Number of ATMs Has Declined as People Rely Less on Cash

bernard

THEE Realist
The slow move toward a cashless society is helping to send the ubiquitous ATM into decline around the U.S., presenting challenges for those who still largely rely on cash.

After peaking at 470,000 ATMs in the U.S. in 2019, the number of machines has declined annually over the past few years to 451,500 at the end of 2022, according to data tracked by research firm Euromonitor International. The reason: Many people quit using cash during the pandemic and haven’t gone back, said Kendrick Sands, consumer finance research manager for the London-based firm.

“There was that scare that the virus was transmitted by paper, plus the trend of just buying everything online,” said Mr. Sands, who is based in Chicago. “That dealt almost a death blow to cash, especially for younger people.”

Yes. And people are jumping on the electronic cashless transactions as very convenient. Not thinking, this just makes it easier for the government to track your transactions.

Yes. And people are jumping on the electronic cashless transactions as very convenient. Not thinking, this just makes it easier for the government to track your transactions.
There is a much better mode of tracking, its you cell phone!

Have you given yours up yet?

Just out of curiosity, why would the government want to know if I bought 5 wings and fries at Frenchy's Chicken here in Houston? I was in there the other day, and they only take credit cards now. LOL!!!

Just out of curiosity, why would the government want to know if I bought 5 wings and fries at Frenchy's Chicken here in Houston? I was in there the other day, and they only take credit cards now. LOL!!!
Not necessarily the government but the companies themselves. Analytics. I remember using my debit card (I just got one a couple of years ago) at Walmart. About a month later I got an email telling me it was time to repurchase the items I bought.

Not necessarily the government but the companies themselves. Analytics. I remember using my debit card (I just got one a couple of years ago) at Walmart. About a month later I got an email telling me it was time to repurchase the items I bought.

Google and fellow companies track and sell just about everything you do.

For places like that I refuse to use a debit card but my American Express as they have a better fraud detection system.

Back