The. New Fort Bend Willowridge Football Coach

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I hope he pays attention to all the little details. We need more good black coaches. I hope he is not afraid to put better coaches around him.

I hope he pays attention to all the little details. We need more good black coaches. I hope he is not afraid to put better coaches around him.

When you say "all the little details", are you including fundamentals like blocking and tackling? I have seen a few high schools games, and the blocking and tackling, well.........

District is a cakewalk - but being surrounded by Willowridge East (Shadow Creek), Willowridge West (Marshall) and the others that pull will be tough come playoff time.

if he can follow the Marshall blueprint it can be done. Wish him best of luck as an alum but he has to understand the south side and how they operate.

His biggest initial job is engaging the elementary and middle school kids surrounding Willowridge and the Willowridge football alums. Last coach didn't even try.

Congrats to the former Jag, but that gig is going to take some work and patience. That whole "Cannibalization Effect" when these schools continue to pop up around the once dominant school has killed Willowridge sports over the years. First Hightower weakened them and later Marshall. As was mentioned earlier, Ramon is going have to build some relationships with those feeder schools (and possibly the area youth football leagues) if he has any hope of being successful. Unfortunately Thurmond Thomas and TJ Ford types haven't been in seen at Willowridge in years.

I don’t know TJ Ford personally, but if Willowridge win some games he’ll be back. I saw him at a
Marshall HS (basketball) about two years ago.

When you say "all the little details", are you including fundamentals like blocking and tackling? I have seen a few high schools games, and the blocking and tackling, well.........

Yes, he needs to dot the I’s and cross the T’s. He needs to run things like he is coaching a college program.

@Texas Southern Fan: I'm sure you heard about this by now.

Darrell Colbert is a name familiar with south Texas football. He starred at Beaumont West Brook and won a state title in 1982 before playing at TSU. He played a few years in the NFL and got into coaching. His son Darrell Colbert Jr. starred at Lamar High School and led the Texans to state a few years back. He signed with SMU.

Most recently, Colbert was the Director of Football Operations at TSU.

He's been named the head coach at Westbury High School. The Huskies went 1-8 last year.

Congrats to the former Jag, but that gig is going to take some work and patience. That whole "Cannibalization Effect" when these schools continue to pop up around the once dominant school has killed Willowridge sports over the years. First Hightower weakened them and later Marshall. As was mentioned earlier, Ramon is going have to build some relationships with those feeder schools (and possibly the area youth football leagues) if he has any hope of being successful. Unfortunately Thurmond Thomas and TJ Ford types haven't been in seen at Willowridge in years.

Mumford, is he really a former Jag?

TJ has been around but not like one would expect. The previous football coach/AD really pushed those guys away. Also you're right about youth football. My team plays there and had a ton of issues with the last coach. We tried so much to engage him thr way schools like Manvel and Pearland engage with youth teams and he was just an ass. Broke a lot of promises.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TJ has been around but not like one would expect. The previous football coach/AD really pushed those guys away. Also you're right about youth football. My team plays there and had a ton of issues with the last coach. We tried so much to engage him thr way schools like Manvel and Pearland engage with youth teams and he was just an ass. Broke a lot of promises.

Oh, I was speaking more in terms of actual talent in the program. I would hope that guys like TJ and Ewing are doing something for the program. I would imagine that Thurmond has probably broken them off a time or two.

Oh, I was speaking more in terms of actual talent in the program. I would hope that guys like TJ and Ewing are doing something for the program. I would imagine that Thurmond has probably broken them off a time or two.
Previous coach ran off a 4 star WR and a damn good QB just last off-season SMH

Previous coach ran off a 4 star WR and a damn good QB just last off-season SMH

the program is in better shape because of him so at least that has changed - the issue is depth and getting to same access to talent Marshall has on a consistent basis or convincing the Shadow Creek jumper they can make a difference instead of waiting their turn

however, FBISD football is a far cry of what it used to be unfortunately. The average AA wants to play at the new and shiny places in Pearland, etc but the AA coach can never get those jobs until it splits up and talent drains.

then those same parents who left the areas they were stars at complain about unequal treatment for their kids when things sour when we had everything.

The pride of the neighborhood is what’s lacking now but if those schools can get it back watch out

the program is in better shape because of him so at least that has changed - the issue is depth and getting to same access to talent Marshall has on a consistent basis or convincing the Shadow Creek jumper they can make a difference instead of waiting their turn

however, FBISD football is a far cry of what it used to be unfortunately. The average AA wants to play at the new and shiny places in Pearland, etc but the AA coach can never get those jobs until it splits up and talent drains.

then those same parents who left the areas they were stars at complain about unequal treatment for their kids when things sour when we had everything.

The pride of the neighborhood is what’s lacking now but if those schools can get it back watch out
FBISD built too many schools then neglected certain others when they went to that formula where they based transfers on campus accountability grades. It gave no incentive for kids to stay at a school like Willowridge. Now they have the academies and I think that will help get more kids to stay since Willowridge has a STEM academy and I think early college (may be mistaken on this one).

Back