The FAMU Marching 100 & the SuperBowl 41 Halftime Performance featuring Prince (Questions)

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
What's Happening Rattlers? I have a question for you guys or anyone else that is in the know. I was rewatching the performance, one that I consider the best Super Bowl Halftime music performance and wondered:

How did this all come about? Did Prince actually reach out to the school? Did FAMU use current or past band members? Were there any limitations (like only seniors, juniors, etc.)? Did Prince come to the campus or did he meet up with band participants in Miami to rehearse?

I'm just curious being the music fanatic I am and of course a lover of Prince's music work. Also with Prince being the perfectionist that he is known to be, I guess that is why I would love to know the behind the scenes stories, interactions, things he might have shared with the band, etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYYlRArn3g

Last edited:
What's Happening Rattlers? I have a question for you guys or anyone else that is in the know. I was rewatching the performance, one that I consider the best Super Bowl Halftime music performance and wondered:

How did this all come about? Did Prince actually reach out to the school? Did FAMU use current or past band members? Were there any limitations (like only seniors, juniors, etc.)? Did Prince come to the campus or did he meet up with band participants in Miami to rehearse?

I'm just curious being the music fanatic I am and of course a lover of Prince's music work. Also with Prince being the perfectionist that he is known to be, I guess that is why I would love to know the behind the scenes stories, interactions, things he might have shared with the band, etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYYlRArn3g
What's going on... To answer some of your questions, the invitation to perform alongside with Prince at the Super Bowl, came as a result of members of the Marching 100 sharing the stage with entertainers Kanye West and Jamie Foxx at the 2006 Grammys...Prince saw the band at the Grammys, but did not know who the band was. Prince came to the conclusion that he wanted "this particular band to perform with him during Super Bowl halftime. All of the band members were current members of the "100" that performed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back