The 10 Best College Marching Bands of All Time

BLUEBENGAL

College marching bands have an important responsibility of entertaining crowds, boosting team spirit and keeping school traditions alive. Generally, schools stick to traditional marching styles, but have been known to use unique drill designs and creative musical arrangements to stand out from the others. The bands that stray from the traditional path and develop their own signature style are the most memorable and entertaining groups to watch. Out of all the fantastic college marching bands in the nation, these 10 are simply the best.

http://www.zencollegelife.com/the-10-best-college-marching-bands-of-all-time/

Band Hierarchy

1) Southern University
2) Florida A&M
3) USC
4) Michigan
5) Ohio State
(everyone else is really in a 2nd tier)

Let me first reorder their list of 10.

1A. Ohio State - When you are talking all-time, this group has the best brass lines ever. Precision marching and serving the institution.
1B. Michigan - Incluldes woodwinds. Precision marching and serving the institution.
3. Ohio U - Most versatile; did not become a great band until the early 80's
4. USC - #2 in versatility; living on history for the last 20-30 years.
5. Jackson State - #3 in versatility
6. Texas A&M - best Step-2 college band ever. Military precision better than the service academies
7A. Texas - big and orange
7B. Tennessee - bigger and orange
9. Purdue - makes me wonder
10. Illinois - more orange and bigger wonder

Personally, I would not include the last 4 in the Top 10. All of the following (in no particular order) are better ALL-TIME than those 4 based on the criteria given:
Southern U
FAMU
Oklahoma
Alabama
Michigan State - Should be in the top 5
James Madison
Florida State - 2nd best Step2 band - Bentley Shellahamer turned it around
Bethune-Cookman - on a great run with no end in sight

How can anyone in their right mind put FAMU into the mix for "all-time" after what has been going on in that program for decades? All-time includes up until the present, so in my book, they're disqualified from being all-time in anything band-related.

How can anyone in their right mind put FAMU into the mix for "all-time" after what has been going on in that program for decades? All-time includes up until the present, so in my book, they're disqualified from being all-time in anything band-related.

I just looked at the criteria that were given and based it on that.

"... entertaining crowds, boosting team spirit and keeping school traditions alive ... known to use unique drill designs and creative musical arrangements to stand out from the others ... bands that stray from the traditional path and develop their own signature style ..."

FAMU certainly qualifies in this regard.

I just looked at the criteria that were given and based it on that.

"... entertaining crowds, boosting team spirit and keeping school traditions alive ... known to use unique drill designs and creative musical arrangements to stand out from the others ... bands that stray from the traditional path and develop their own signature style ..."

FAMU certainly qualifies in this regard.

If folks knew what was going on at that school and the multiple beatings, hazings and outright thuggery, who'd reward a band program for that? How band members conduct themselves off the field is part of the equation as well I would think, nevertheless each is entitled to his opinion.

Last edited:
If folks knew what was going on at that school and the multiple beatings, hazings and outright thuggery, who'd reward a band program for that? How band members conduct themselves off the field is part of the equation as well I would think, nevertheless each is entitled to his opinion.

I mean dacontinent does have a valid point. If that was the case, JSU shouldnt be in the mix either. Remember yal had some hazing issues a couple years ago with those percussion players that made head lines in the papers and etc & was about to not be allowed to perform at the football games. However the boom issue wasnt on the same level as famu but it was still hazing and made the news.

I mean dacontinent does have a valid point. If that was the case, JSU shouldnt be in the mix either. Remember yal had some hazing issues a couple years ago with those percussion players that made head lines in the papers and etc & was about to not be allowed to perform at the football games. However the boom issue wasnt on the same level as famu but it was still hazing and made the news.

Every program has minor issues, but nothing even remotely compared to FAMU's situation. If you want to give 'em a "pass" over murder, that's your prerogative.

Every program has minor issues, but nothing even remotely compared to FAMU's situation. If you want to give 'em a "pass" over murder, that's your prerogative.

Not giving them a pass over anything. I think she is basically saying before all that has taken place with FAMU they were well known and liked and should be considered on the list.

Not giving them a pass over anything. I think she is basically saying before all that has taken place with FAMU they were well known and liked and should be considered on the list.

Who is this she you speak of?

As far as giving them a pass, you just gave them one. The roster says "all-time". To me that infers everything that's occurred up to the present. This would include the violent hazings, beatings, threats and ultimate murder of an innocent human being.
This includes the firing of the band director who was once respected but is no longer respected by many.
This includes the banning of a once proud and prestigious band which many no longer respect.
All-time includes all of this.

Like I said, if folks want to include FAMU's name, that's their prerogative. I'm just saying that I wouldn't.

Based on JayRob's criteria, I would like to submit the following Top 10:

1. Univ. of Miami
2. James Madison
3. Northern Illinois
4. Boise State
5. The Citadel
6. Air Force Academy
7. North Texas
8. Dartmouth College
9. Shippensburg
10. South Florida

Cut the crap

Yeah because our band is the only HBCU band that has EVER hazed...yeah ok

Based on JayRob's criteria, I would like to submit the following Top 10:

1. Univ. of Miami
2. James Madison
3. Northern Illinois
4. Boise State
5. The Citadel
6. Air Force Academy
7. North Texas
8. Dartmouth College
9. Shippensburg
10. South Florida

Which of the bands on the initial list had someone murdered? If you can tell me which one, then I'd be delighted to scratch them off the list to.

Which of the bands on the initial list had someone murdered? If you can tell me which one, then I'd be delighted to scratch them off the list to.

I don't give a damn about your list...regardless of what happened off the field among a group 20 members of a 420 member marching band you can't take away the on the DECADES of excellence PRIOR to what's been going on in recent years. I mean people loved the 100 and will continue to do so...period

And guess what, the Marching 100 is gonna continue to be excellent in this new "post hazing era"

I don't know of any of them having someone murdered. However, having someone murdered was not your only criterion.

Now, relax. It's just an opinion. I really don't have anyone to defend.

KEY Here is ALL-TIME for performances ON THE FIELD through the years. :tup:

Anyway.........The 5th best all-time is at it again in the 2013 band camp.

6-inches anyone? :goof:
1001106_326131740856637_905850510_n.jpg

Last edited:
According to ZEN; only 1, ONE, one, uno College Band from a HBCU is listed in the TOP 10 of ALL TIME!

Jsu is the highest, the highest title, numero uno...Don't kill our vibe. I don't need an article to validate my school, I always feel that we are #1

Yeah because our band is the only HBCU band that has EVER hazed...yeah ok

Man, I wouldn't even entertain that. Everyone knows that historically FAMU is one of the best bands in the country..........FAMU was making television commercials and in the nation's living rooms before some of these people were born or thought of (they just don't know any better). :lol: :emlaugh:

Any poll about marching bands that doesn't have Southern, FAMU, and J-State in its top 5 or I'll be a lil more open, in its top 10 then it has no relevance to me. It is an opinionated poll and it is from the perspective of the ones taking the poll. So to me it is what it is, someone who has no relevance to me stating their opinion.

I could give a Poll

1. Southern / FAMU
3. Jackson State
4. Bethume Cookman
5. Ohio State
6. U.S.C.
7. Michigan
8.etc....
9. etc...
10. etc...

But again its my opinion and most of you on this board would consider it irrelevant, and most of us are of the same likeness.

See what I'm saying.

Back