Tax Sympathy

SONNY

The Future of Omega!!!!
I was listening to the Steve Harvey this morning and he was talking about Ron Isely and his tax problem.
Reportedly the Feds are trying to lock Ron up for 3 years for tax evasion.
Ron is not in the best of health and already up there in age.

My statement/question is: Ron has seen MORE money than any of us will see. Why should we feel bad for him for not paying his taxes? I dont have a lot of money and I still have to pay Personal Property taxes on my items so why shouldn't he? I always manage to pay them on time and without a call from the folks. What makes him and other entertainers so special and not me?

i heard that this morning too, and i questioned the same thing. i have mixed feelings though. part of me want to say, oh well his bad, and then the other part is like well he's ill and jail time wouldn't be good so maybe. i just wish people would do right by whatever standards so they don't get into this kind of mess. Steve said he got some bad advise money wise....bullshat, i don't care what type of advise you get, you ought to have the common sense to pay your taxes. Ron made bad decisions, bottom line, and he may have to suffer the consequences.

I was listening to the Steve Harvey this morning and he was talking about Ron Isely and his tax problem.

My statement/question is: Ron has seen MORE money than any of us will see. Why should we feel bad for him for not paying his taxes? I dont have a lot of money and I still have to pay Personal Property taxes on my items so why shouldn't he? I always manage to pay them on time and without a call from the folks. What makes him and other entertainers so special and not me?

Team, I listened to the show this morning also. In a way I feel bad for him due to his health and all, but didn't he pay back all of the money owed? If so, he should get probation.

He must owe alot cause I know Rrah could have push him a couple of hundred thousands.

I heard that Bad Tax advise also on the air. When Steve said that, I was like "How do you know?". How do you know he wasn't tricking off his money on Lavish cars, big homes, and cocaine???? He has been in the business too long to not know the tax game. Why is it that other members of the Isely Brothers (Band included) are not in the same financial situation as Ron.

I dont want to see this brother go to jail, but I want to know why and how he got himself into this mess? Cause I aint buying "bad advise" for 35 years.

exactly. i remember watching that True Hollywood Story(i think that's what it was), with Redd Foxx....when they were taking all his possessions. he was like, "it's not right, they just come in here and take all my belongings." i was like, DUH!!! WHAT DA HELL DO YOU EXPECT??? i did feel bad for him, but i still couldn't believe that he thought he would be exempt from a repo. don't they know this is the Federal Government they are foolin with?

exactly. i remember watching that True Hollywood Story(i think that's what it was), with Redd Foxx....when they were taking all his possessions. he was like, "it's not right, they just come in here and take all my belongings." i was like, DUH!!! WHAT DA HELL DO YOU EXPECT??? i did feel bad for him, but i still couldn't believe that he thought he would be exempt from a repo. don't they know this is the Federal Government they are foolin with?

That was one of the S_ddest :( sights I've ever seen in my life.
The FOLKS was taking Pianos, Clocks, cars, Tables, clothes...EVERYTHING.
Redd was looking so pitiful. He kept looking in the camera asking somone to help him. :confused: Why didnt you help yourself by paying off your taxes. Redd was in showbusiness for like 50 something years. As a black man making money in the 50's, 60's and 70's Taxes should have been the first thing he should have been thinking about. Cause you know they looking for an excuse to get a black men in them days.

Redd, Ron, Wesley............................ :(

Team, I listened to the show this morning also. In a way I feel bad for him due to his health and all, but didn't he pay back all of the money owed? If so, he should get probation.

He has paid back 1 million out of a total 3 million. I don't know of too many people locked up that could earn the money to pay that kind of money back. Perhaps if he is not in jail, they can retrieve more money...........just a thought.

TJMS submitted a pardon petition to the president with over 6000 names........the word is that it will not be effective.......

He has paid back 1 million out of a total 3 million. I don't know of too many people locked up that could earn the money to pay that kind of money back. Perhaps if he is not in jail, they can retrieve more money...........just a thought.

TJMS submitted a pardon petition to the president with over 6000 names........the word is that it will not be effective.......

my sentiments exactly. those same names were next to votes in the last presidential election, you do the math.

yes, I listen to Steve Harvey every morning, so I heard it too...my boo and I were discussing it. I don't believe it's going to help him any...he'll still go to jail. From the way I read the story, he was supposedly cashing royalty checks for his dead brother...now Ron knows that a no-no :no: He'll do some time behind this one...I hate that he waited until 65 years old to get locked up. :rolleyes: I hear his health is deteriorating.

Warndalyn said:
From the way I read the story, he was supposedly cashing royalty checks for his dead brother...now Ron knows that a no-no :no:

Thats so jacked up.

yes, I listen to Steve Harvey every morning, so I heard it too...my boo and I were discussing it. I don't believe it's going to help him any...he'll still go to jail. From the way I read the story, he was supposedly cashing royalty checks for his dead brother...now Ron knows that a no-no :no: He'll do some time behind this one...I hate that he waited until 65 years old to get locked up. :rolleyes: I hear his health is deteriorating.

If he was guilty of cashing his deceased brother's checks,why weren't charges brought against him? Would he be facing 2 charges, one of cashing checks and the tax evasion charges?

Anyway I've read some history about how the U.S government got swindle into the tax game in 1913.:smh:

I don't feel sad for him just because he had more to lose. If the tax man cometh, he will taketh. The difference between the two of us is that he can make a quick come up and still live comfortably...

I don't feel sad for him just because he had more to lose. If the tax man cometh, he will taketh. The difference between the two of us is that he can make a quick come up and still live comfortably...

Agreed. I have no sympathy. I pay my taxes and he should also.

You know the government has made deals with other entertainer--Willie Nelson is the first that comes to mind. However, Mr. Big EVADED paying taxes, meaning he actually took steps to hide the money and avoid the tax. Versus, hey, I made the money, blew it and didn't pay because I was ignorant/thought my accountant did, etc. and owing them. He will most likely go to jail.

You know the government has made deals with other entertainer--Willie Nelson is the first that comes to mind. However, Mr. Big EVADED paying taxes, meaning he actually took steps to hide the money and avoid the tax. Versus, hey, I made the money, blew it and didn't pay because I was ignorant/thought my accountant did, etc. and owing them. He will most likely go to jail.
And on top of that, he didn't list the money he was making on any return he filed. You may not always been able to pay up. But file the return, and tell the gov't what you owe.

I have mixed feelings about taxes. I believe that taxes should be paid by yall, not me. Taxes take up almost 51% of our income. We are left to survive on 49%, so I don't really have positive feelings on taxes and when people can BEAT the tax game, I'm all for it. I just haven't done it or totally figured it out.

Ross Perot pays less than 1% in government taxes each year based on his worth, yet the government is sticking it to us with 30%, 40%, and 50% tax on our income.

Back